Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Advice on Bike Choice

Old 06-06-20, 08:21 AM
kbuttrey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advice on Bike Choice

Hi Folks! :-)

First post, and yes it's an "advice on what I should buy" post. Long Time Reader, first Time Poster.
I've been riding a 2010 Specialized Allez Double for 10yrs now. I love the bike, but it was a "this is what I can afford" purchase.
I LOVE Specialized, but unfortunately the Roubaix 240lbs is a disqualification for me. Otherwise, I'd be at my LBS now.
I'm 273lb 6'2"... Here is what I'm looking at:

2020 Trek Domane SL5/6 (Debating between 105 and Ultegra)
2020 Giant Defy Advanced 1 (I'm not a fan of the "non branded" Crankset, here, BUT the stated weight limit of 285 vs 275 of trek, is factoring into my hesitation)
2020 Trek Emonda ALR5 (The H2 Fit on Aluminum, was a bit of security blanket.

I'll probably have to stick close to "spec" on whatever I purchase, the CFO of the house is already saying 3k is my limit.

Anyone have any experience on either of these bikes, or suggestions between them? I'm disappointed the Roubaix won't work, because that would stop my conversation immediately, but it does appear that Specialized is no longer within my weight range.

Appreciate any advice!

Kevin
Old 06-06-20, 08:38 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Your answer should also consider which of these bikes have the most robust wheel set as this might be the most limiting factor.
Old 06-06-20, 08:55 AM
kbuttrey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Your answer should also consider which of these bikes have the most robust wheel set as this might be the most limiting factor.

Agreed Completely! It looks like the Spoke Count of the Giant Defy Advanced is best at 28.
Old 06-06-20, 10:08 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The Treks are both stated as a 275lb limit all-inclusive-- that is, bike, rider, and gear. So it's more like a 250lb. rider limit. The only thing that would make that so is the wheels, so you'd have to replace the wheels on either of the Treks.

As would be expected, the Giant is outfitted better for the same money--- Ultegra vs. 105, tubeless wheels and tires. The Advanced 2 would be the comparable model to the Domane, but it's $500 cheaper.