Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Cadence Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20, 10:50 AM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cadence Sensors

What are other cadence sensors that work with Garmin 520?
That will not break the bank?
I have an older Garmin sensor that is the larger model from a few year ago. The cadence display keeps going out all the time, and i get a red light always,
looking to get one of those more simpler newer ones? anything else lower priced then Garmin?
Old 06-10-20, 12:23 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
https://www.clevertraining.com/garmi...dence-sensor-2
Old 06-10-20, 12:50 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I think you'll find that any of the quality sensors (Garmin/Wahoo/Polar) are going to be in the same price range, There are much cheaper sensors but you'll need to expect that they may not last very long or work as well. You may save a buck or two by doing some internet shopping to find the best price.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Likes For John_V:
Old 06-11-20, 03:39 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
For what it's worth here's a minor nitpick: the Garmin cadence sensor is designed to be held on with rubber bands, with the battery hatch facing the inside crankarm. If you don't like or trust those rubber bands, you can tape it on the normal orientation such that you have to peel off and replace the tape when replacing the battery. Or you can tape it on the opposite orientation, in which case the hatch is accessible but you can't see the status LED. Or you can use a ziptie which blocks the hatch in both orientations, and must be cut and replaced each time.

I got one Garmin in a package with a computer (I guess mine is the version 1). I got the Wahoo for a second bike. It has no hatch, the two halves snap together with a little screwdriver slot to pop it open. It can be taped on with the LEDs visible, or there's a little rubber boot+strap to hold it. Ziptie won't hold it securely, and would have to be cut to service. When taped on, it's a little cleaner looking than the Garmin with its protruding arms/hooks.

Battery lifespan is looooooong, so this is really splitting hairs. Both work fine for me (no connection problem like you describe), though I just like the aesthetics of the Wahoo a little more. The main annoyance (with both) I have is if I start a ride from the computer 3+ minutes before moving the cranks, the cadence sensor will go back to sleep. Then I have to notice the "---" where cadence should be, stop, pause and sleep the computer, wake it up to restart the sensor search, then ride off. Not a big deal

PS - ah, I just saw your other thread with pics. Why two threads at the same time? Regardless you're talking about problems with your combination spd/cad sensor. My comments are about the separate self-contained cadence sensors that live hidden on the inside of the left crankarm (like in the link in post #2 ). I got sick of the combo sensors getting kicked and bumped out of alignment too often. After I switched to separate spd and cad sensors, I pretty much forgot they were there, they just work.

Last edited by fourfa; 06-11-20 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-28-20, 06:16 AM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
biketiresdirect has a 15% off deal on the garmin (I ordered one yesterday).
Old 06-28-20, 06:24 AM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
I’ve been using CooSpoo dual Ant+/BT sensor (and HRM) the past year and never had a problem. Half the price and works the same.

I needed a dual HRM for indoor cycling and wanted to try the speed/cadence sensor at the same time. They both work reliably, and battery life seems to be going strong for now.
Likes For kissTheApex:
Old 07-01-20, 06:48 AM
RJD253

Bikes: Lynskey Sportive, Cannondale F1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using the Magene S3+ Speed and Cadence Sensor with my Garmin Edge 820 for almost two years with no issues. $17.45 on Amazon.