Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Upgrading gears - how far to go?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-16-20, 03:19 AM
Gillparis

Bikes: Old Simon bike that I just bought on a whim.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

Hi all

I was hoping for a bit of advice. Due to a series of unfortunate events detailed elsewhere on the forums I have the following:

- a steel framed touring bike that is missing a rear wheel and derailleur. It originally had a 5 speed freewheel and a two cogs on the front and has friction shifters.
​​​​​​- two wheels (steel 650b that came from another bike) but with a 3 speed freewheel requiring a different chain

The bike is from the 80's but not exciting enough to be worried about restoration. I have 135mm between the dropouts (I don't think it was originally this). The wheel came from a bike with 120mm.

Due to the series of unfortunate events I have not a lot to spend on the bike and I just want to get it up and running. It is heavy and there is the space so I thought about upgrading to more gears. It has a threaded freewheel.

​​​​​But, I am not sure the wheel will go on. There is very little thread on each side. I can screw the frame together a bit but it would be under tension? I could replace the axle.

What to do? Buy a cheap old 5 speed freewheel for now but probably have to do something with the wheel alignment. Upgrade but to what?

Any ideas?

Many thanks
Gill
Old 06-16-20, 09:03 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I wouldn't buy old rearwheels and invest in outdated standards, like freewheels.

You never know the history of the wheel, nipples will be rounded off, and spokes unevenly loaded and near breaking.
Old 06-16-20, 06:21 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Did the bike originally take 650b wheels?

If so, I would use the wheels you have, and just get a 3 speed shifter. If you have a bike coop or something like that, you can probably pick one up for $5 and you're in business if you can scrounge up some housing and a cable.

As for the frame spacing, you can just bolt on the wheel and it will pull it into 120 from 135 when you tighten the bolts. Or you could bend the frame permanently, but that's not necessary.

If the bike doesn't take 650b wheels.
Old 06-17-20, 01:28 AM
Gillparis

Originally Posted by ljsense
Did the bike originally take 650b wheels?.
It does, which is part of the issue as they are not cheap to replace. But as I have two in reasonable condition I would prefer to use them. If I used the 3 speed would I not need to change the front cog by the pedal (excuse my ignorance)? Or is it an issue of width of chain?
Old 06-17-20, 06:31 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Please post three photos of the frame (from the drive side) and then of the rear dropouts (from the side (close-up) and from behind (getting both dropouts)). That would help with the discussion.

Answer the following questions:
1) how do you expect to use this bike (e.g., hauling groceries, or recreational riding)?
2) how hilly is your local terrain?
3) what is your budget (be honest about what you intend to spend overall on the changes)?

Those answers, plus the photos, will shape our informed inputs to you.
Old 06-17-20, 06:47 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
If you're in Paris, France you should be able to find a wheel similar to this one, but 650B from a local shop. That site has a single speed 650B for 23 euros but no picture of the hub so I dunno if it would support more than a single speed freewheel.
Old 06-17-20, 06:54 AM
Gillparis

I put some photos below. It is half in pieces at the moment as I decided to clean it up before putting the wheels on. It looks worse than it is.

I only use it for going around town or rides where I don't like to take my nice bike. It is less likely to get stolen or have parts taken. I am in the city and there are hills but nothing drastic. It is quite a heavy frame. I really just need it to be usable. I have a rear derailleur that would be OK for up to 6 speeds. I don't have a front one.

Money wise, I like the bike, it will be nice when cleaned up but it isn't worth much. The brakes etc are good and the frame just needs cleaning up. I would be happy to buy a new freewheel and chain and I think that would be enough for now. Otherwise is needs money spending and it is not worth it for what I use it for.

Thank you for your help.

​​​
Old 06-17-20, 06:58 AM
Gillparis

Photos

Three speed freewheel as existing on wheel There are about 6 threads on each exterior of the dropouts if the wheel is centred.
​​​​
Old 06-17-20, 07:04 AM
Gillparis

Originally Posted by clasher
If you're in Paris, France you should be able to find a wheel similar to this one, but 650B from a local shop. That site has a single speed 650B for 23 euros but no picture of the hub so I dunno if it would support more than a single speed freewheel.
I can and they support up to 7 speeds normally. But I have a pair of wheels so I would prefer to use them. I could just replace the wheel in the end if it is easier. I am just a bit confused about size of freewheel v distance between dropouts etc. But from the answers I think I have understood!
Old 06-17-20, 07:23 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Lovely bike. I would certainly make every effort to restore this to working condition. Me? I'd leave it at 2 x 6 and try to get a matching alloy wheelset. But I have many local resources available to me. For shifting, I'd use alloy SunTour components from the 1970s: Vx line.
Old 06-17-20, 08:23 AM
Gillparis

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Lovely bike. I would certainly make every effort to restore this to working condition. Me? I'd leave it at 2 x 6 and try to get a matching alloy wheelset. But I have many local resources available to me. For shifting, I'd use alloy SunTour components from the 1970s: Vx line.
I love it. It works (when is has a wheel!). It had a 5 speed freewheel originally. I could look at wheels in the future and I will have a look for parts. It probably needs someone with more skills than me to look after it properly. I don't have the tools or space to really do anything. And I avoid taking things off to clean them because they are either stuck fast or I am not sure I could get them back!
​​​
Old 06-17-20, 08:47 AM
Gillparis

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Lovely bike. I would certainly make every effort to restore this to working condition.
What would you do about the rust on the frame? It is just small spots all over except under the top tube where there is a big patch. The I was just going to clean it up a bit. Should I be protecting it with something? It lives inside unless it is parked somewhere.
Old 06-17-20, 09:10 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Gillparis

Three speed freewheel as existing on wheel There are about 6 threads on each exterior of the dropouts if the wheel is centred.
​​​​
I was picturing an internally geared three-speed. The chain will work on those cogs.

My recommendation would be to shorten the chain and run it as a singlespeed.

It looks like you need some more axle nuts. That will keep the frame, or the fender bolt, from hitting the freewheel. It will also bring the axle spacing up and make the wheel fit the frame.

You could get this running for the cost of axle nuts and a chain tool, it looks like to me, if you decide on building it as a singlespeed for now. It won't prevent you from doing a restoration in the future.
Old 06-17-20, 09:56 AM
alcjphil

Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
The cogs on that freewheel are made for a 1/8" chain. You will have great difficulty finding a derailleur that will work
Old 06-17-20, 11:10 AM
Gillparis

Originally Posted by alcjphil
The cogs on that freewheel are made for a 1/8" chain. You will have great difficulty finding a derailleur that will work
I have the derailleur and the chain from the same bike that the freewheel came off. So assuming they were compatible with the front cogs on the pedals it should work? Or I just leave it as single speed.
Old 06-17-20, 11:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You may consider an IGH gears inside the hub rather than sprockets.. Or combine : in the 50's I had a 3 cog cluster on a S-A3 speed hub
it went on with the same snap ring on the hub..

Or build a conventional freewheel wheel for say a 5 speed freewheel .. 3/32" chain

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-17-20 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-17-20, 04:54 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Leave as single speed is the quickest route out the door.
Old 06-18-20, 08:25 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Gillparis
. "I have not a lot to spend on the bike and I just want to get it up and running.
Just do it! What you have now is a crummy old cheap bike that doesn't run. What you want is a crummy old cheap bike that's rideable. You also mention budget restrictions.

You can do this. The trick about this kind of project is holding down your out of pocket cost. Rather than thinking "how should I upgrade it?" think "Where can I get cheap (free) parts?" What you find will drive what upgrades your bike will get. I used to cruise my subdivision on garbage day searching for useable stuff. I managed to piece together bikes for me and my family. They weren't stylish but they were useable and they were the best I could afford at the time.
Old 07-23-20, 05:29 AM
Gillparis

Thank you and photos

It has taken me a while to put everything back together but here are a couple of photos of the bike, which is now up and running (albeit with odd pedals!). I haven't connected the derailleur as I think the chain is too short anyway? It is in the smallest cog on the photo. And I will eventually swap the freewheel. I should have cleaned up the derailleur before I put it on but I just wanted to get going 😊.

Thank you to everyone for all your helpful advice!
Gill

Made out of whatever I had available, hence the wingnuts and non-matching pedals.
Old 07-23-20, 07:24 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

The chain does not appear to be too short. Good job. Tell us more about the crank that you used. I'd also move the shifter clamp up higher on the downtube. Remove the old cables?
Old 07-23-20, 09:52 AM
Gillparis

Thank you for the advice - I will definitely do that when I do the cables. The crank came from an old town bike (photo below). It doesn't have any brand on it. I actually really like it compared to the original one. I changed it because the chain rattled around on the existing one, I assume because it is wider. I didn't change the other side just because it is hard work getting the cotter pins in and out. The freewheel is a Best Wheel three speed one from the town bike along with the chain.

If I keep the setup as it is it will be fine in town but I wouldn't like to go up many big hills.... I hope to be able to get the current freewheel off at some point and change it for a 5 or 6 speed as I have the space between the dropouts.

I haven't touched the brake cables because I am deciding what to do. The current setup is a bit of a reach for me but if I am not careful I will end up changing everything when I could probably buy a nice bike for the same price! Or maybe not at the moment.

The wheels, crank, chain came off this bike, which has a bent frame.