Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is now a bad time to buy a bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-03-20, 04:58 AM
morgothaod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Before heading down to a few bike shops in my area that sell used bikes; I was wondering if I can expect an increase in prices. I assume more people want bikes now so prices might be higher. Maybe it would be cheaper if I wait till next year?
Old 07-03-20, 05:02 AM
ups

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
The market is whatever it is at a given time. Right now things are a little more expensive. Buy a fairly priced bike and enjoy riding it!
Likes For ups:
Old 07-03-20, 05:44 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
If you have a working bike that you enjoy, then you do not need to buy a bike now. Remember, second or third bicycles are non-necessity luxury items, for your entertainment and enjoyment. Paying a premium for this isn't all bad, but I wouldn't do it.

If you do not have a working bike, and you would like one for exercise or utility purposes, then go ahead and buy. Sure, prices are up 10-20% in the used market. But that's how the market works. If the time is now, then the price is what it is.

As another poster said, find a good working bike at a fair price, and go and enjoy it.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-03-20, 06:27 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Not to be snarky or obtuse but yesterday was a better day to buy.

One cannot predict the market and the nature of consumers with any true accuracy.

The coming year could see:
a. Prices on used bikes plummet. The supply of them far outstrips demand and all used bikes vendors are in a world of hurt.
The market has hung their old bicycles up or kicked them to the curb and are back to the automobile as we put the affects
of 2020 behind us.

b. Prices on used bikes skyrocket. Demand continues in a range the US hasn't seen since the bike boom of the early 1970's.
While we are(might be) seeing the affects of 2020 lessen, the American people have developed a renewed taste for all the benefits
of cycling in a post Covid-19 world.

c. There seems to be a stabilization of used bicycle pricing as retailers(LBS) are finally seeing the supply chain meet their needs.
People have decided that they like bicycles and bicycling.

Take your pick and feel free to mix and match the above statements..

Your guess is as good as those of anyone else.

There are fair deals out there, but only for those who take the time to understand what they are looking at.

BSO's, both new and used will flood the market with models which function(albeit not well).

Quality used equipment will generally outperform cheap new.

Based upon the responses I see in the various mechanics forums and stuff I see for sale in the used bicycle ads, it is truly buyer
beware in the pre-owned bicycle market.

LBS service departments are weeks out. There are not any reasons to expect a "bro deal" on service or rehabbing you old ride.

Repair parts are in short supply, and in some cases, will be out of stock indefinitely. Typical discounters may not have access to their
oversupply driven deals

Supply chains are broken, and even when they are reestablished, tariffs and demand(on a world wide basis) will likely drive prices higher.

People are pulling stuff from the rafters and want to get back into cycling or generate a bit of income.

My only advice for those in the market is to do you homework and invest is a quality ride - TODAY.

Sorry for the ramble but it seems like there there is disconnect in the cost/benefit and supply/demand universe.

rusty
Likes For 100bikes:
Old 07-03-20, 07:10 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Remember, second or third bicycles are non-necessity luxury items, for your entertainment and enjoyment.
You're entitled to your opinion, but please don't ever share it with my wife.
Old 07-03-20, 07:21 AM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
How can you predict? Prices may be even higher next year if there is a nock on from supply lines and base materials being more expensive forcing manufacturers to pass on the costs to end users. Sure, you may have minor regret if you see the same bike lower price next year, but unless you're trying to buy it as an investment in the hopes you'll get your money back when you see then buy a bike at a good deal and go enjoy while you have your health because that is an even more unknown.
Old 07-03-20, 04:57 PM
Panther61

Bikes: 2018 FX4

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My local Trek store said if I had to order my bike today, a FX4, I would not see it arrive at the store for at least 30 days.
Old 07-03-20, 09:44 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
It's never a bad time to buy a bike...
Old 07-04-20, 11:03 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
As 100bikes said, one cannot predict the market. I'm more than a little surprised the COVID bike boom is so sustained. Hell, even Tuesday afternoon, the roads around here were loaded with cyclists.

You're unlikely to find a killer deal in today's market, but if you find a bike you want, and it's in stock, and you can afford it, and it won't irreparably damage any relationships you care about, I can't think of a reason to hold off.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-04-20, 12:25 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Wait for Covid to kill off a couple million people, then start shopping the estate sales.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 07-04-20, 12:36 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I'm starting to see some reasonable prices on Craigslist again. Still a small percentage overall compared to pre-Covid, though.
Old 07-04-20, 09:55 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Check your local Craiglist and talk seller down in price. The good bikes go lightning fast these days. I have seen some pop-up late at night and by the following late morning the bikes are sold!
Old 07-05-20, 02:08 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Now's always the time. I suggest doing your research so you're ready to buy a bike that meets your needs if it becomes available. In fact, you should have two bikes in mind:

1. A cheaper bike that you wouldn't mind riding until a better bike becomes available. Then you don't miss out on a summer of riding.

2 The bike that you'd be happy to ride for a long time.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 07-06-20, 09:17 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 261 Posts
I don’t know if these issues are regional or what but my gf and I became bitten HARD by the cycling bug within the last several months and have gone on an orgy of bike buying both new and used, we currently have (I think) 13 bikes between us. (And yes we ride the heck out of them)
ALL of them were both easy to find and reasonably priced from LBS, CL and eBay. We both scour CL every day looking for vintage bikes which is our latest interest and find scores of them. Not seeing a supply or cost problem from my position?
Old 07-06-20, 10:23 PM
stoheaven21

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
imo I think it's a great time to buy
Old 07-07-20, 11:21 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 956 Posts
At the expense of stating the obvious:
1. Buy skis in the spring, sell skis Just before Christmas
2. Buy motorcycles after the first rainfall or snowfall of the year. Sell motorcycles in spring
3. Convertibles: see motorcycles
4. Bicycles: see motorcycles
5. Buy boats...... never
Old 07-08-20, 05:39 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
5. Buy boats...... never
I’ve heard it said the two best days you own a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.
Old 07-08-20, 05:41 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I think prices will come down after Covid is behind us. But good luck guessing when that will be, and until then... who knows.
Old 07-08-20, 06:44 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Prices will recover once the manufacturing pipeline and its supporting supply chains have resumed full operations, unhindered by low production and by shipping/distribution delays brought on by quarantine restrictions. This may take more than a year.

Now is not the time to be buying a bicycle. Now is the time to be selling bicycles.
Old 07-08-20, 06:53 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
If you have a working bike that you enjoy, then you do not need to buy a bike now. Remember, second or third bicycles are non-necessity luxury items, for your entertainment and enjoyment. Paying a premium for this isn't all bad, but I wouldn't do it.

If you do not have a working bike, and you would like one for exercise or utility purposes, then go ahead and buy. Sure, prices are up 10-20% in the used market. But that's how the market works. If the time is now, then the price is what it is.

As another poster said, find a good working bike at a fair price, and go and enjoy it.
Agree and if your going to be riding regular then you can not beat buying now for a health investment.
Old 07-08-20, 07:36 AM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
I’m waiting for the wave of barely-used major brand bikes (Trek, Giant, Specialized) to flood FB marketplace so I can add to my N+1. Guessing around Christmas because few folks are riding and they need $ to buy presents.
Old 07-08-20, 12:55 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
At the expense of stating the obvious:
1. Buy skis in the spring, sell skis Just before Christmas
2. Buy motorcycles after the first rainfall or snowfall of the year. Sell motorcycles in spring
3. Convertibles: see motorcycles
4. Bicycles: see motorcycles
5. Buy boats...... never
My perception is that bicycles have a Christmas and New Year’s bump, one for gifts and one for resolutions. The most desperate retail sales seem to happen in mid winter
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-08-20, 01:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Mid priced MTB have had buyers leaving a deposit or paying in advance for the next shipment of new to make it to the LBS.
County is mostly forest.

Covid has people avoiding the buses and subways, that has put a big demand on bicycle sales that's not an issue way out here..
Old 07-08-20, 05:57 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Sometimes a good deal is too good to pass up. Have no regrets.
Old 07-08-20, 06:53 PM
myemptymind

Bikes: BMC Alpenchallenge

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I just pre ordered a BMC Alpenchallenge, they are sold out worldwide. Not just BMC but most brands are just now catching up to demand. I didn’t get a deal on the BMC but I didn’t anticipate one either. Most shops Ive been to in Socal are having some nice sales now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.