Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Will enough air in the hydraulic brake lines prevent the pistons from returning?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Will enough air in the hydraulic brake lines prevent the pistons from returning?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-20, 11:14 AM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

I cleaned the front pistons on my TRP hylex brakes. Now there is air in the system and the pistons won't return to the recessed/open position when brake lever is released. Is this because of the air in the system?

Will a system bleed get the pistons to return to open position?

I got bike brand new (Co-Op ADV 3.2 road/gravel/touring) 13 months ago, and the TRP Hylex brakes came with it. Since then I've put nearly 4,000 miles on the bike, Had three full tune ups, two sets of pads (front and back), two system bleeds (front and back) and one new set of rotors (F&B).
Old 07-09-20, 11:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
IDK, did you touch the lever with no wheel disc in the caliper?
the system's auto pad wear compensation kicked in, as if the pad was very worn, then it wont return..
Put a "keeper" in when removing the wheel..

Or, ?
Did you bleed out the air bubbles and did that fix the issue?
then its possible that was the problem..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-09-20 at 11:59 AM. Reason: added to post
Old 07-09-20, 11:57 AM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
IDK,

Did you bleed out the air bubbles and did that fix the issue?
then its possible that was the problem..
I don't have a bleed kit yet. It's scheduled to arrive this afternoon in the mail. I'm doing a bleed this afternoon.
Old 07-09-20, 02:00 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
On most hydraulic brakes, the force to return the pistons is provided by flexure of the square-section O-rings which also provide the piston seal. If there is any slight pressure in the system, as might be caused by an air bubble, this could cause the pistons to not retract. And they will only retract a small amount, so if you pulled the lever with the wheel out they may not retract enough and will need to be pushed back manually.
Old 07-09-20, 02:15 PM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
On most hydraulic brakes, the force to return the pistons is provided by flexure of the square-section O-rings which also provide the piston seal. If there is any slight pressure in the system, as might be caused by an air bubble, this could cause the pistons to not retract. And they will only retract a small amount, so if you pulled the lever with the wheel out they may not retract enough and will need to be pushed back manually.

I did the manual reset of the pistons with the bleed block. After removing the bleed block, the pistons rose back out of the cylinders without any actuation of the brake lever.

The bleed kit I ordered just arrived in the mail.

Update pending.
Old 07-09-20, 05:21 PM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Bleeding worked. The Pistons now return to recessed position when brake lever is released.

Last edited by AllWeatherJeff; 07-10-20 at 12:23 PM.