Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1980s Raleigh Wyoming touring

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-15, 05:21 PM
valleyof

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1980s Raleigh Wyoming touring

Hey all.I am now looking and possibly buying this bike on Monday.it is her. Raleigh Wyoming Touring Bike-Mid 80s it is a 1980s Raleigh Wyoming touring twelve speed.they are asking 180 and say it's tuned and even overhauled.any comments about what I should be looking for looking at.any help .thanks
Old 03-13-15, 06:58 PM
Fuzzy2964
Fuzzy

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, a number of 80's steel bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I’m not a fan of stem shifters - this seems to be a pretty good price for a Raleigh Wyoming - considering the work that has been done/new parts. Nice paint. If it fits and rides well...I think a buck eighty isn’t bad at all. You can of course try to get it a bit lower price.
Old 03-13-15, 08:03 PM
zazenzach

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
overpriced in my book. saddle looks not fun, components not that great, frame not spectacular.

and even though it says overhauled, the tires look real cheap and will probably need to be replaced anyways. and i doubt he overhauled the BB and headset bearings or he would have said so. but those stem shifters are actually one of the better features of the bike. they appear to be suntour power shifters and they are some of the best, if not the best, friction shifters out there.

In your position, I'd try to pay $100-$140. I sold a similar fully rehabbed bike with better components for $100 in a similar market. but it was also probably a steal for the buyer.

Last edited by zazenzach; 03-13-15 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-14-15, 12:18 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
I think it's a little high, too, depending on your market. (Sure, Seattle, PDX, SF, NYC, $180 sounds good)

Nothing wrong with the components, SunTour Power shifters and AR derailleurs will more than get the job done; but they don't demand the high prices that components with more pedigree and less functionality get. I owned a bike with Raleigh's 555 tubing, it's kind of heavy, which is OK for a touring bike. It's missing its small, inner chainring, BTW. Not that many big hills in Eugene, so you may not miss it.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 03-14-15 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-14-15, 03:10 AM
daf1009

Bikes: LESS than I did a year ago!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
I think it's a little high, too, depending on your market. (Sure, Seattle, PDX, SF, NYC, $180 sounds good)

Nothing wrong with the components, SunTour Power shifters and AR derailleurs will more than get the job done; but they don't demand the high prices that components with more pedigree and less functionality get. I owned a bike with Raleigh's 555 tubing, it's kind of heavy, which is OK for a touring bike. It's missing its small, inner chainring, BTW. Not that many big hills in Eugene, so you may not miss it.
ALso...bolt on rear wheel...that takes some value out...and convenience if/when you flat...

Agree...that, for your market seems a bit high...
Old 03-14-15, 01:42 PM
valleyof

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well in case I do get this bike.and I will try and talk em down a in price.but I'm in bend Oregon and he is bringing it to be when he comes over the mountain so that a plus.

But okay let's talk money
What would anybody say is going to be. Needing a replacement. And grease.
The BB and headset bearings. What's that cost usually.I got grease for bearings.
And someone said it is missing a maybe once had front small chain ring? Did. these come with e 3 in front.and can I add one to existing hardware or what all would need to be changed.
I will riding this bike to any area of hills and mountains
This all helps me tAlk him down in price right.thanks for any input as I will use it for a leg to stand on and complain for lower price
And the bicycle coop in town might help me out with tires.maybe.for donation
What else. Any more bases to cover? Batter up....
Old 03-15-15, 10:02 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
One should also note that this is not a Touring bike by any means it is lower end sports bike that they has sticker that say touring. For a lesser Raliegh Bicycle of America bike from 80's 180$ world be top dollar in your market for one that is indeed fully serviced in excellent condition ready to ride. As for this one I would say only $100 or so in value.

Last edited by zukahn1; 03-15-15 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-15-15, 10:27 AM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
ITs supposed to have new tires and cables so thats a plus. Looks a bit of a mixed bag, decent crank and derailleurs, but the seat post and bolt on rear wheel are low end. Terry saddle are decent. 150-180 seems fair market to me.
Old 03-15-15, 10:49 AM
radeln

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front brake quick-release is open. More of a rule than an exception for CL bikes, but it makes me question how thorough or qualified the overhaul really was.
Old 03-15-15, 11:03 AM
valleyof

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
One should also note that this is not a Touring bike by any means it is lower end sports bike that they has sticker that say touring. For a lesser Raliegh Bicycle of America bike from 80's 180$ world be top dollar in your market for one that is indeed fully serviced in excellent condition ready to ride. As for this one I would say only $100 or so in value.
Wait so this isn't a touring bike I thought I could maybe add a small chain ring in the front on top of existing hardware? Right? So this isn't a touring bike they just slapped some stickers on it that say touring.????
Old 03-15-15, 11:04 AM
valleyof

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is that why the stickers look new.??
Old 03-15-15, 11:17 AM
howsteepisit

There is no formal definition of a touring bike, but most bicycle people consider a true touring bike to have a long wheelbase, heavier tubing, cantilever type brakes, wide range triple front gearing, and brazed on rack mounts. This bikes lacks most/all of that. However, many millions of miles have been toured on bikes lacking all of that, quite happily. You could do light to moderate touring on this bike, and its the manufacture that named it a touring bike. Bottom line there is they can call it whatever they like, you need to determine your true needs and the applicability of a specific bike to your needs.

Looks like you could add a small front chain ring if you can find one the bike has a capability.

Last edited by howsteepisit; 03-15-15 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-15-15, 11:36 AM
valleyof

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay I'll go to gearfix and look for one.thank you for answering that big question.
So here is what I need the bike to do.go from bend Oregon over the mtn but NOT the pass taking the better lower grade highway 126 west towards Eugene and stop at cougar reservoir at twilliger hot springs. Then going down the coast to north California then I might option for some county to county transit and just skip some of the mountains if to hard cause I'm just trying at that point to visit a friend.then I might bike around the hill there and kill time after and explore.

Questions
will this bike handle the racks in back and saddle bags and the weight of me 170 and then gear and get me to the spots I'm trying.

Last edited by valleyof; 03-15-15 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-15-15, 11:52 AM
howsteepisit

Lesser bikes have done way more than that. Better bikes have too. In short, I don't know how to answer your question. My first tour was on a racing bike in the 1970s. 1000 miles in 8 days. I rigged racks on it suffered the climbs with racing gears and has a ball. But, there were better ways, but I used what I had. You will need to check the spoke tension and wheel trueness, thats an imperative on tours that the wheels are in good shape because all the added weight is hard on wheels.

Also for all kinds of different perspectives take a look in the touring subforum.
Old 03-15-15, 11:59 AM
valleyof

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And th this bolt on the back that is lower end.what's problems can happen.how much to replace later for a better.
I might keep the saddle for time being.

What would be a better qualifier for a touring bicycle.
I was looking at a post online outta prineville northeast of me.and I can get there but Gonna prolly have to take the bike back on the bus.cause it's been sitting for 22 years and I don't know what problems I would run into fixing a old bike that has been just sitting? ?
1993 T700 cannondale touring bicycle to 400$but talked him down to 350 and it's not at all fixed up or sounded like it's had any attention given to it since it was bought but I was looking At it and thinking it might do me better but could cost idk how much more to fix. ...,??any thoughts. ..ideas.? ??
Old 03-15-15, 12:13 PM
howsteepisit

Do you know what size frame you need?

That Cannondale in Prineville is pretty nice looking, but the size is mis-stated I don't think its a 24", but it is a true touring bike.

Last edited by howsteepisit; 03-15-15 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-15-15, 04:44 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Originally Posted by valleyof
I thought I could maybe add a small chain ring in the front on top of existing hardware? Right?
You probably could; but the front derailleur may not be long enough. My Raleigh (same vintage, same 555 tubeset as yours) was called an Olympian, and came stock with same triple crank with only two rings installed, with a long cage RD, so you triple-ize it just by adding the small ring. Your bike may be the exact same thing, with different paint and stickerage. And yeah, "touring" is a nebulous term at best, (Grand Tour, Sport Tour, Pro Tour, Mountain Tour - none of those mean a specific thing). But any reasonably comfy road bike can be used for touring, depending on how you want to load it.

Most people in the know would expect a touring bike to have long chainstays, triple chainring crank, long cage RD, room for big tires, canti brakes, mounting eyelets for racks and fenders, generally relaxed geometry, fairly heavy duty tube set (for stiffness). Your Wyoming there hits most of those points.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 03-15-15, 04:51 PM
valleyof

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah okay I'm six foot and two inches and I think it's their right size.and yeah your right they didn't make a twenty four inch T700 that yyear.
I need a 56cm or more.
I was trying to looking it up.
But what is the difference in wheel base from the Wyoming to say something more touring suitable.
I'm still thinking about the cannondale but wonder how much more money it might take to get it road ready.do you guys/ girls have any idea what I could run into with a 22year old sitting bike
And I like your attitude I might just throw some racks and panniers along with a small chain ring up front.and take off on the Wyoming .I'm just a hitchhiker moving up to two wheels instead of two feet.

Last edited by valleyof; 03-15-15 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-15-15, 05:09 PM
valleyof

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most people in the know would expect a touring bike to have long chainstays, triple chainring crank, long cage RD, room for big tires, canti brakes, mounting eyelets for racks and fenders, generally relaxed geometry, fairly heavy duty tube set (for stiffness). Your Wyoming there hits most of those points.

Just curious but outta of those is the triple chain ring the only thing I am missing
Thanks for the ppositive vibes
Old 03-15-15, 05:43 PM
howsteepisit

If you really want the Raleigh, it will do fine as long its in good mechanical shape. The stays are a bit sort for a turing bike, clearances a bit tight, and the lack of cantilever brakes give less option on tire size and fender mounting. But I am guessing those things really do not matter to you.So if ya like it go for it. It will get you there.
Old 03-16-15, 12:56 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Originally Posted by valleyof
Yeah okay I'm six foot and two inches ...
Hmm, I wish the discussion had started with this info, since I think the 59cm Raleigh is probably a bit smaller than optimal for you. "Fit is Everything." Especially if you're going to be racking up serious miles, in comfort. I'm barely 6'0" and prefer 62-63cm bikes. Ok, I do have long legs for my size, but having had the luxury of riding many, many different bikes in the last few years and I find anything under 60cm feels cramped, unless it has a long seatpost and long top tube and stem. Of course everyone is different, but I would suggest you try test riding some bigger bikes before you buy.

Edit: I just waded through several pages of CL ads for the Bend area, and geez, it looks like you've got more than your share of dreamers and idiots in your neighborhood. Apart from a large basket case Raleigh Grand Prix (offer him $50 and refurb it yourself?) there wasn't much of interest for a guy your size and budget.

Maybe the Wyoming is good enough.

Old 03-16-15, 08:55 PM
valleyof

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good enough for me for sure.bought it today for 170 and rode it the 17 miles back to bend from Redmond and it seemed to do good.I asked and the guy seemed like it's a hobby to fix bikes.he went thru all he had done.noticeable cleAned and greased it was.yeah I do notice that it is a lil small not much tho I don't think.first bike like it tho.got to get a feel for this kinda stuff eventually size vs fit for my height.I might adjust seat since it hasn't been adjust for me.but I got on it and it really seemed close. This old nice lady says she gonna bring me some of her last racks and saddle bags and reflectors and such tomorrow to look thru.then Ill be ready to go to hot springs.
Guess I'll get it loaded and start a new thread in not her topic area post pics when it loaded up
Old 03-16-15, 09:16 PM
howsteepisit

Congrats, Enjoy!
Old 03-17-15, 10:48 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Considering the bike had been fully serviced including all bearings I think you did fine. These Ralieghs while not high end tended to be good bikes for the price.
Old 03-13-20, 12:14 AM
mgonko

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Raleigh Wyoming - March 13, 2020

I found this older thread tonight and just wanted to see how you like the Wyoming after all these years. I just bought a refurbished 1984 Wyoming last month and love it. The frame had low miles on it because a small section near the rear derailure broke off. It sat in storage for 30 years until my bike guy found it and built it up for me. Other than the frame and fork its a full new bike. Steel frame is amazingly comfortable. I'm used to riding on titanium Litespeeds both mountain and mostly road. The Wyoming is what I call my comfort cruiser now that I'm getting older. We need to start a Wyoming forum. These are very nice bikes.
Likes For mgonko:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.