Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gear Acquisition Syndrome - Anyone Catching it?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-10-19, 10:42 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

In photography there's a term called GAS. Stands for Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Happens when photographers see a new lens/light/stop/whatever and just keep buying and buying. Either because they think the new item will make them a better photographer, or because it's fun to spend money. Anyway...

This started me thinking. Is there such a thing in cycling? Maybe not buying a new bike all the time, but constantly upgrading to new bibs, new helmet, new gloves, etc.

I sometimes find myself falling in to the that trap on here. Cruising the forums I see new bike swag and think how great it would be to have X, Y, or Z item. That's not to say I end up pulling the trigger on many of the items here, but it certainly is tempting sometimes to get in a constant state of new gear.
Old 07-10-19, 10:57 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Do t shirts count? I like driving my bike to ride in better scenery and on new roads. There's nothing like putting on a clean cotton shirt after getting all sweaty.
Old 07-11-19, 01:18 AM
jideta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts
Been there done that.
This is after I sold off some cameras on eBay:

Bicycles?
About the same.
Except now I live in an apartment so I can only fit three or four bicycles.
I recently bought a set of wheels from a dude who seriously put me to shame.
His was all over the place, still brand new in boxes!

I have a new rule; cannot purchase until two days (and hopefully GAS) have passed.
Old 07-11-19, 02:27 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Every once in a long while I'll get a project in mind and splurge all over the place, but mostly on used gear since the stuff I like doesn't come cheap, and I want the most out of my fun tickets.
Old 07-11-19, 08:23 AM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Bikes & Cameras all the same

Yes cycling equipment is no different then buying every single camera body and lenses as they come out...Leica, Hasselblad, Nikon and Canon go hand in hand with Trek, Pinarello, Zipp, Lightweight Meilenstein and Reynolds.. You can also include Luggage etc etc etc etc into the GAS....
Old 07-11-19, 10:13 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
GAS happens with music gear, too. I've had to block myself from looking at drumkit cymbals (not to mention custom drumsets), and my SO is constantly talking about the next guitar pedals and amps...

The only thing that saves me (as far as cycling GAS) is that I do my own maintenance, so upgrades require extra time spent working on my bike rather than riding it. Obviously, this just means I need more bikes I'd like to have the latest and greatest kit, but remind myself that I should probably save money for clothes for, like, going to work and other stuff...
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 07-11-19, 10:26 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Are you saying you don't have a significant collections of wheelsets, shoes, helmes, handlebars, rollers, trainer, kits...?
Old 07-11-19, 10:35 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
I need a tubeless wheelset

Also need to pick up a set of Donnelly MXPs..

And a frame bag. And new helmet. And more CO2. And another bike..
Old 07-11-19, 10:39 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
First thought when I saw the topic was "cameras!!!!"

I was not disappointed.

I think cycling appeals to the GAS type as there is a lot of tech and product involved to obsess about. It's similar to PC hobbyists but they replace things (usually) rather than simply accumulate more computers.

In my defense I will say that liking the camera/cycling stuff I own makes me use it more and happier when I use it. It gives me something to learn about and get better at. Plus, my wife is sort of into both, too! She doesn't obsess about the tech but she's a better photographer and will use a "real" camera rather than a phone camera to take pictures on vacations. And she's started using the Wahoo Kickr almost as often as I have.
Old 07-11-19, 10:43 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
I've spent a fair amount of money doing the need/want/upgrade XXX over the previous few years, but I happy to say that (so far) in 2019 I have spent $0.00 on cycling stuff. My bikes are where I want them, shorts and jerseys aren't warn through, and I have enough tubes, tires, and lube to last me a while. I'll need to get a chain and possibly a cassette later this fall but that's it.

That new Scott Addict RC 2020 sure does look sexy though.....
Old 07-11-19, 10:44 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
GAS knows no bounds. I've experienced it in photography, audio, bikes, espresso, cookware and was most recently introduced to it with kitchen knives. Yes. Fo real.
Old 07-11-19, 10:44 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Yep, I'm currently in a KAS, Kit acquisition syndrome, browsing the Rapha archive sale section and looking out for discounts on the other brands I prefer like an addict.
Old 07-11-19, 10:47 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Don't talk to me. I race and cruise a 40' sailboat.
Old 07-11-19, 07:22 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
GAS happens with music gear, too. I've had to block myself from looking at drumkit cymbals (not to mention custom drumsets), and my SO is constantly talking about the next guitar pedals and amps.....
My GAS got quite bad that I turned my garage into a workshop and started building guitars . Haven’t started winding my own pickups yet though, so my doctor says there might be hope for me.
Likes For kissTheApex:
Old 07-11-19, 07:29 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by MidTNBrad
I've spent a fair amount of money doing the need/want/upgrade XXX over the previous few years, but I happy to say that (so far) in 2019 I have spent $0.00 on cycling stuff. My bikes are where I want them, shorts and jerseys aren't warn through, and I have enough tubes, tires, and lube to last me a while. I'll need to get a chain and possibly a cassette later this fall but that's it.

That new Scott Addict RC 2020 sure does look sexy though.....
I sorta kinda want a scott foil

I cant really justify it though. Dont really plan on racing crits consistently. Gonna buy the tubeless wheelset for the cross bike instead. Probably a gps as well. My cross bike will keep me happy for a long time i think.
Old 07-12-19, 09:11 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by kissTheApex
My GAS got quite bad that I turned my garage into a workshop and started building guitars . Haven’t started winding my own pickups yet though, so my doctor says there might be hope for me.
Why the unhappy face? Building guitars sounds pretty damn cool to me. Then again, I haven't lost a garage!

Originally Posted by guachi
First thought when I saw the topic was "cameras!!!!"

I was not disappointed.

I think cycling appeals to the GAS type as there is a lot of tech and product involved to obsess about. It's similar to PC hobbyists but they replace things (usually) rather than simply accumulate more computers.

In my defense I will say that liking the camera/cycling stuff I own makes me use it more and happier when I use it. It gives me something to learn about and get better at. Plus, my wife is sort of into both, too! She doesn't obsess about the tech but she's a better photographer and will use a "real" camera rather than a phone camera to take pictures on vacations. And she's started using the Wahoo Kickr almost as often as I have.
Yeah, I'm in to photography too and I find the crossover between cameras and wanting to buy cycling stuff happening all the time. Plus being on here and reading about new helmets, kits, chain cleaners, etc. makes me want to get in and do all that stuff too. Luckily Mrs. NoWhammies doesn't mind me indulging, although she does wonder where all the gear is going to go/fit.
Old 07-12-19, 09:33 AM
Mr_Crankypants

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jideta
I have a new rule; cannot purchase until two days (and hopefully GAS) have passed.
Good rule. I'm going to try to abide by this.

I've recently been feeling the itch...and there's nothing wrong with my bike right now aside from the fact that it's a 2018 model (TCR) and has a few paint chips. It does however have - wait for it - rim brakes. But I'm telling myself I'm not going to upgrade until aero bikes and lightweight bikes converge a bit more - it's starting to happen already.

Just out of curiosity, how often on average do you replace your road bike? Assuming you have one main road bike, and not a stable full of them.
Old 07-12-19, 09:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
one can be addicted to anything
Old 07-12-19, 10:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Paging Trek Mogul.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-12-19, 10:18 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,701 Posts
It's real. I had the Snap On bills to prove it.
Old 07-12-19, 10:19 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by kissTheApex
You say that now, but the next time a pickup stops working, you know you'll be tempted to rewind it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 07-12-19, 12:37 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
I've come to terms that I'm a compulsive sufferer of GAS. Whenever I pick up a hobby/interest...GAS. Usually though, it's mostly up front, and wanting to get the best possible gear I can afford (without compromising my normal way of life) so that I am the limiting factor vs. the gear for whatever activity it is that I am engaging in.
Old 07-12-19, 12:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
I thought this thread was going to be about the desire for a 13 speed drivetrain.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-12-19, 12:50 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I do, but I compensate buy buying pre-owned stuff, as much as possible. got a nifty 80? yr old french pedal wrench a cpl years ago. don't know what took me so long. maybe I was unknowingly, waiting for the universe to bring it to me?
Old 07-12-19, 03:00 PM
jideta

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Crankypants
Good rule. I'm going to try to abide by this.

Just out of curiosity, how often on average do you replace your road bike? Assuming you have one main road bike, and not a stable full of them.
Apparently the 48 hour rule doesn't work. I just bought some new cranks.

I don't usually replace. I just add to the stable. You know, like cameras.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.