Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Caliper vs disc brakes on road bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Caliper vs disc brakes on road bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-19, 01:13 AM
Wobblewheel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Disc vs rim brake

I thinks disc brakes ave a power and finesse advantage on hilly terrain and when drafting in a fast group. Discs seem to offer that extra bit of one finger feel. I also have slx and older durace rim brakes. That modulate well and have decent power. I also don't physically merit the latest n greatest anymore, but the gearhead in me appreciates the technological advances...material, design, beautiful finishes...
Old 11-26-19, 07:58 AM
Bikesax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
The whole walking world is going to horses simply because they are new and "cool". Walking has been the standard for decades and works just fine.
The whole horse world is going to trains simply because they are new and "cool". Horses have been the standard for decades and work just fine.
The whole train world is going to planes simply because they are new and "cool". Trains have been the standard for decades and work just fine.
The whole aviation world is going to jets simply because they are new and "cool." Propellers have been the standard for decades and work just fine.
And, when disc brakes show the OBVIOUS ADVANTAGE OVER RIM BRAKES WHICH TRAINS SHOW OVER HORSES, I'll consider them.
They don't.
Anyone who wants them...have a blast. Rim brakes work just as well and are lighter.
Likes For Bikesax:
Old 11-26-19, 08:21 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
The whole walking world is going to horses simply because they are new and "cool". Walking has been the standard for decades and works just fine.
The whole horse world is going to trains simply because they are new and "cool". Horses have been the standard for decades and work just fine.
The whole train world is going to planes simply because they are new and "cool". Trains have been the standard for decades and work just fine.
The whole aviation world is going to jets simply because they are new and "cool." Propellers have been the standard for decades and work just fine.
I am unsure whether this is serious, sacastic, or ironic.
Old 11-26-19, 01:19 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
It is ancient retro-farts like on this forum that are holding up technological progress on road bikes.

I would like to see tuneable front and rear suspension on road bikes. Why not? It would make riding more comfortable and more high-tech kewl, and only add a couple of pounds of weight. There was front suspension forks for road bikes way back in the 90's, and the nannies in the industry killed them. Suspension: you could tune your suspension on the fly, preferably with an app. The bike would have radar that would detect road conditions like potholes and tune the suspension in real-time.

What we really really need is obstacle detection and avoidance. Face it, we're all looking at screens all of the time, so it makes sense to have auto-braking. Hell, if I had a suspension app, I'd be locked to my phone screen too. Then hook the crash detection up to a GPS - this could detect oncoming bends, and auto-brake so you don't overcook the corners. Now that we have overwhelmingly superior disk breaks on road bikes, it only makes snese to hook them up to more tech.

I was out riding yesterday, and while checking out my live-streaming on my phone, I almost hit a horse! Good thing I had disks.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 11-26-19, 01:42 PM
TheLizard

Bikes: 2001 Trek 8000

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Dave Mayer is exactly right.

Road bikes need disc brakes because we need more screen time!!
Old 11-26-19, 02:27 PM
TheLizard

Bikes: 2001 Trek 8000

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
This discussion left me with the impression that you should be able to actually lock your bike wheels (and skid) if you pull on the brakes hard enough....

Thinking maybe I should replace my brake pads or something.
Old 11-26-19, 02:37 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Oh my. I looked at this thread early on. Because it was obvious to me that the OP had already decided what they were going to do, I stopped looking in until just now. Why flog a dead horse? This thread has outlived its limited initial attraction. The OP decided long ago what they were going to do. Offering my opinion will add nothing to this forum. Please, please close off this useless discussion.
Old 11-26-19, 02:59 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
This thread has outlived its limited initial attraction.....Offering my opinion will add nothing to this forum.
Define "irony."
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-26-19, 04:43 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Moishe
I got a new bike this year. I wanted no disk brakes. Trek offered a year-end deal, 30% off on a $5,000 bike, presumably because it had rim brakes. I jumped on it (also because, I admit, the self-advertising TREK letters are gloss black on matte black, so you can hardly tell it’s a Trek venti cappuccino). I don’t ride in groups and I have very highly developed skills in running red lights and stop signs and making illegal left turns, so I don’t do a lot of breaking anyhow.
Give it time; I'm sure some 'breaking' will be forthcoming.

BTW, in this context the correct spelling is 'skillz', not 'skills'.
Likes For badger1:
Old 11-27-19, 03:23 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Sorry. I was tied up all day yesterday and then too fried from the day to deal with computers.

Disc brakes are a fad and, therefore, unnecessary. They will go the way of the Pet Rock and all of the suckers who bought into them will feel embarrassed riding their bikes in public around serious cyclists.
Wrong. Mfg are getting tooled up on disc brakes. They are here to stay. Why would they throw away all that expensive tooling?
Old 11-27-19, 03:28 PM
rydabent
Banned

The anti disc faction forgets a few things. Talking aero, the disc calipers are behind the fork in front so there is no additional drag. Then rims for discs can be made more aero, stronger and lighter. Weight off rims are very important when it comes to acceleration.

Then there is the biggie-----------disc brakes DO NOT wear and scab up expensive rims.
Old 11-27-19, 03:45 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
You can find some tests where disc brake rotors were overheated and warped on mountain descents, so they are not fool proof. I've never replaced a rim due to wear, even with many mountain descents. I also don't ride in wet, gritty conditions. I may be riding with discs someday, but I'll still complain about the substantial extra cost for hydraulic brake/shift levers.
Old 11-28-19, 06:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Wrong. Mfg are getting tooled up on disc brakes. They are here to stay. Why would they throw away all that expensive tooling?
You really need to read ALL the posts in a thread (like BF suggests) before offering comment.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-28-19, 12:47 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Sorry. I was tied up all day yesterday and then too fried from the day to deal with computers.

Disc brakes are a fad and, therefore, unnecessary. They will go the way of the Pet Rock and all of the suckers who bought into them will feel embarrassed riding their bikes in public around serious cyclists.
With all due respect, the old fuds of the cycling community said the same thing about clipless pedals, and click shifting. You are fighting progress.
Old 11-28-19, 12:50 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
@indyfabz should have put a winky-smiley at the end of that post, I guess. I thought the serious cyclist comment was enough to imply sarcasm, but I guess not. BIEKS R SRS BSNSS.