Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Finally figured out what fourth center hole on a cycling shoe sole is for - Look Memo

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Finally figured out what fourth center hole on a cycling shoe sole is for - Look Memo

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-19, 10:13 PM
sweetcyclists
Craigslist Addict

Bikes: Zipp 2001, Specialized Roubaix, Felt FA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

(Edit: Title is cut off, should say Look Memory Eyelet)

After nearly a decade of using Look Keo pedals, I finally figured out what the fourth hole on the sole of cycling shoes are and how to use them when changing cleats. The mysterious fourth hole between the standard 3-holes is referred to as the Look Memory Eyelet and is designed to allow cleat replacements without losing the previous cleat position. The Look Memory Tab (a small plastic tab, also referred to as Look Memory Clip) portion of the Look Keo cleat is secured onto the Look Memory Eyelet with the supplied screws with the cycling shoes.

The Look Memory Tab snaps onto the Keo cleat allowing you to remove the cleat and install a new cleat without removing the Memory Tab. Installing a new Keo cleat is as simple as snapping it in place and installing the new hardware. No sharpie or tape needed to mark the previous position!

I've seen a few forum questions but no actual photos or videos on how to use them. Here are the instructions (you can see more photos/video here):
  1. Remove Look Memory Tab/Rubber Cover: Take new cleat and push down on center rubber tab to pop both the Memory Tab and the rubber cover off.
  2. Re-attach Memory Tab: Snap the Memory Tab back in place ensuring the smooth surface is facing downward toward the shoe.
  3. Position Cleat On Shoe: Find the optimal location for the cleat on the shoe.
  4. Adjust Look Memory Eyelet: Ensure the Memory Eyelet is visible through the center of the cleat. On a new shoe there may be some resistance to moving the eyelet, but it is designed to move along the slot.
  5. Secure Look Memory Tab To Look Memory Eyelet: Use the provided 5mm screw to secure the Look Memory Tab to the Look Memory Eyelet while maintaining the cleat position.
  6. Attach Cleat To Shoe: Using the 3x washers/bolts that came with the Look Keo cleats, secure the cleat to the shoe.
  7. Re-attach Cleat Rubber Cover: Slide the rubber cover back onto the center of the cleat. The rubber piece is flexible, so a little persuasion will pop it back in place. Now the next time you replace your cleat, you’ll get to reap the benefits.

Hopefully this helps next time you replace your Keo cleats or get new shoes. If you've lost the screws that came with your shoes, you may want to reach out to them for replacements. Mine are about 6 mm long but I don't know the threading.

LOOK Memory Eyelet & Tab

Left – Memory Tab secured to shoe, Right – Cleat installed over the Memory Tab
Likes For sweetcyclists:
Old 12-26-19, 10:48 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Did you ever ride the older Deltas? I ask because I still ride Deltas (or Wellgo copies) on my best bike and Forte Delta compatible pedals. (I rode the black, no-float, cleats and never saw a reason to pay more than for the Performance brand (Wellgo) pedals that work quite nicely for me. I've always wondered what improvements came with the KEOs but never been in a hurry to toss working pedals and cleats to find out.

They look more walk-able without KoolKovers. That 4th screw yes. (I place tape on the cleat edges to duplicate alignment.) Float differences mean zero to me.

Ben
Old 12-26-19, 10:59 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I've always just used masking tape to mark the position. Obviously I didn't know either, for five (?) years now.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-27-19, 05:10 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I may try this the next time I mount new cleats but I'm not taking any off to put that memory piece in the there. Usually, when I replace cleats from being worn out, the new one settles into the indentations of the old one in the sole of the shoe.
Old 12-27-19, 09:07 AM
sweetcyclists
Craigslist Addict

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Did you ever ride the older Deltas? I ask because I still ride Deltas (or Wellgo copies) on my best bike and Forte Delta compatible pedals. (I rode the black, no-float, cleats and never saw a reason to pay more than for the Performance brand (Wellgo) pedals that work quite nicely for me. I've always wondered what improvements came with the KEOs but never been in a hurry to toss working pedals and cleats to find out.

They look more walk-able without KoolKovers. That 4th screw yes. (I place tape on the cleat edges to duplicate alignment.) Float differences mean zero to me.

Ben
I've never used the Deltas, as I started with Keos. It looks like the Delta cleats have the same Memory tab as well, so this feature has been around for quite a long time.

You must be rebuilding your pedals for them to last so long. I typically start getting axle play after a few years of riding and just replace the pedals.
Old 12-27-19, 09:23 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22595 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Interesting. I never knew this.

Luckily, the cleats typically leave a little mark/indentation on the sole so the need for this is weak IMO.
Old 12-27-19, 05:28 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney

Ben
I haven't ridden my new-to-me Look Keo pedals yet (gift from a friend), but the pedals and cleats are pretty similar to Shimano SPD-SL. Biggest difference between my old school Look Delta and SPD-SL is the rubber cushions. Easier to walk in, more secure when I put a foot down at stops.

Drawback? I found the rubbery cushions made it difficult to clip in and unclip. It always felt balky and mushy, compared with the positive click feel of Deltas. So I wax the cushions and pedals on all contact/friction surfaces. I just use leftover scented candle wax, which is soft enough to scrape up a bit on a fingernail and smear around the contact surfaces. MUCH better. Stays positively clipped in, but feels more like the Delta.

Neutral characteristic: Less float than Delta. It's enough float to keep my knees comfy. But cleat alignment is more critical. I needed to tweak the cleat angle a few times the past year to get it jusssst right.

Looking forward to trying the Keos on a new-to-me bike build.
Old 12-28-19, 09:50 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I just use a silver marker pen to draw the edge around the cleats.
Likes For atwl77:
Old 12-28-19, 03:27 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
I've always wondered what that 4th hole was. Very nice!
Old 12-29-19, 02:07 PM
sweetcyclists
Craigslist Addict

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for feedback, I'm glad I wasn't the only one!

Also wanted to add that the FLR shoes I use in the photos/video only came with the screws and no washers. My SIDI shoes do some with washers, which I think are necessary to prevent the screw head from pushing through the thin plastic of the Look Memory Tab/Clip.
Old 12-29-19, 03:25 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I haven't ridden my new-to-me Look Keo pedals yet (gift from a friend), but the pedals and cleats are pretty similar to Shimano SPD-SL. Biggest difference between my old school Look Delta and SPD-SL is the rubber cushions. Easier to walk in, more secure when I put a foot down at stops.

Drawback? I found the rubbery cushions made it difficult to clip in and unclip. It always felt balky and mushy, compared with the positive click feel of Deltas. So I wax the cushions and pedals on all contact/friction surfaces. I just use leftover scented candle wax, which is soft enough to scrape up a bit on a fingernail and smear around the contact surfaces. MUCH better. Stays positively clipped in, but feels more like the Delta.

Neutral characteristic: Less float than Delta. It's enough float to keep my knees comfy. But cleat alignment is more critical. I needed to tweak the cleat angle a few times the past year to get it jusssst right.

What does the wax do for walking safety? I am an experienced Keo walker and I took a pretty good spill a few months ago. I do buy the padded/cushioned cleats, but the pad had worn off--as it sadly does--and so they were bare. Lucky I just landed on my rear and didn't injure a knee or something. I find walking, even after lots and lots of practice, to be hazardous in these cleats. Can't imagine making it slipperier. But what do I know...
Old 12-29-19, 03:28 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat

Forgot to add--I find clipping in and out with the padded/cushioned cleats to just require a bit more force, that's all. I have not noticed it actually being more difficult to get clipped in and out. But I have heard others comment as you have.
Old 12-29-19, 07:16 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
What does the wax do for walking safety? I am an experienced Keo walker and I took a pretty good spill a few months ago. I do buy the padded/cushioned cleats, but the pad had worn off--as it sadly does--and so they were bare. Lucky I just landed on my rear and didn't injure a knee or something. I find walking, even after lots and lots of practice, to be hazardous in these cleats. Can't imagine making it slipperier. But what do I know...
I haven't noticed any problems with wax on the rubber pads making walking slippery. It's already awkward enough walking with exposed cleats like the Look and Shimano SPD-SL types. On its worst day SPD-SL cleats will be better for walking than Look Delta.

A couple of weeks ago while riding with a friend I wanted to take the road through an intersection, mostly for the steep hill challenge, but he wanted to take a shortcut around the hill. The "shortcut" turned out to be wading through about 50 yards of construction site mud. He was on his gravel bike and had whatever clipless cleats and shoes are better suited to that stuff. Anyway, it didn't cause him any problems. But I had to stop and find a stick to dig out the mud and pebbles from my cleats before I could ride. And that little bit of walking rubbed off the wax so clipping/unclipping was mushy again.

I told him we're tackling that hill next time. He's less than half my age and could easily beat me to the top anyway.

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Forgot to add--I find clipping in and out with the padded/cushioned cleats to just require a bit more force, that's all. I have not noticed it actually being more difficult to get clipped in and out. But I have heard others comment as you have.
Try wax on the contact surfaces for one ride and see how it feels. Doesn't take much but it sure improved the feel of clipping/unclipping. Probably saved me from a tumble Friday night when I had to unclip hastily a couple of times on a city ride. Even a slight hesitation and resistance might have been too late. (And a reminder why I don't care for clipless in city rides with lots of stop and go.)

And it'll clean off easily with rubbing alcohol, Goo Gone or pretty much any solvent or just soap and water.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-29-19, 08:37 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetcyclists

You must be rebuilding your pedals for them to last so long. I typically start getting axle play after a few years of riding and just replace the pedals.
I've been using Delta pedals (mostly) since about 1992. I've never had one apart except for the one that came apart while riding. The top surface wears down but I stop using them when the gate/latch wears down to become razor thin. I'm on my last pair, going to have to find more or switch.