Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hard time holding back

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hard time holding back

Old 01-02-20, 01:08 PM
travelerman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Hard time holding back

Anyone else have difficulty with slowing down the pace for a more casual ride?
Some of my riding partners - like all of us - are getting older, and I have struggled on group rides these past few years to keep from getting out ahead of them... I am BY NO MEANS a racehorse - I average from 16.5 - 17 mph on longer rides in our hilly neck-of-the-woods (my highest average last year was a century in a flatter part of the state - about 18.2 mph average).
Our local club has a NY Day ride, which I have missed the past two or three years, and I met up with some of the guys I've ridden with for years at the start; we stayed together for the first mile, but the rolling-hill nature of the terrain (and a wicked crosswind) ultimately found me dialing up the speed, to maintain momentum, and I didn't see any of them after the first five miles were past. I finished the ride a good 2 mph higher average than the guys I started out with.
I know a longer, slow ride is good for training, but I really struggle to not hammer it out, especially when the hills require a little momentum going down to keep a good pace going up.
Old 01-02-20, 01:11 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Need a faster group of friends, that's all. Not everyone ages the same. Try some folks 15 years younger. That works.
Old 01-02-20, 01:12 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22514 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Plenty of riders I know are like that.

Best solution is to ride with like-minded and like-abled riders.

However, if you find yourself on a more mellow ride, try to drop it back and enjoy the scenery or socialize a little. You might enjoy it.
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-02-20, 01:16 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by travelerman
Some of my riding partners - like all of us - are getting older, and I have struggled on group rides these past few years to keep from getting out ahead of them... I am BY NO MEANS a racehorse - I average from 16.5 - 17 mph on longer rides in our hilly neck-of-the-woods (my highest average last year was a century in a flatter part of the state - about 18.2 mph average).
Our local club has a NY Day ride, which I have missed the past two or three years, and I met up with some of the guys I've ridden with for years at the start; we stayed together for the first mile, but the rolling-hill nature of the terrain (and a wicked crosswind) ultimately found me dialing up the speed, to maintain momentum, and I didn't see any of them after the first five miles were past. I finished the ride a good 2 mph higher average than the guys I started out with.
I know a longer, slow ride is good for training, but I really struggle to not hammer it out, especially when the hills require a little momentum going down to keep a good pace going up.
When I ride with friends with less fitness, I tell myself that this is a social ride, not a training ride, and I ride accordingly. I'll also do things to even the odds and keep it interesting for me, like offering to carry peoples' gear (water bottles, clothing layers, etc...), gear down to work on my high RPM spinning smoothness, or gear up to work on my strength, sprint ahead to stop and take action photos then sprint to catch up, etc...
Likes For john m flores:
Old 01-02-20, 01:27 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,852 Times in 4,397 Posts
Nice problem to have, being too fast.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-02-20, 01:49 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 343 Posts
I do my long ride with a slower group of club riders, depending on what mood I'm in, I'll either put my wife's hybrid wheels on, pull the front, or do intervals and turn around and chase back up. I also ride to the start point, adding 16-25 miles, that evens things out and gets me home wiped out and hungry, which is the goal. Maybe you are just too awesome, and need to cut back on the PEDs a tad...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 01-02-20, 01:55 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
It's more of a problem when I'm alone than when I'm with others, but I guess it depends on what you want to get out of your rides with others. I have friends that are newer to cycling and/or less fit - I approach rides with them as being social more than anything. If I'm feeling antsy and need to stretch my legs, I have weekly club rides that are spirited or I can flog myself on solo outings.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-02-20, 02:26 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,318 Times in 2,703 Posts
I know a longer, slow ride is good for training,
Well, depends on what you are training for and your training plan in whole. You didn't mention your race plans but training may be much different from recreational riding. I can't say that I have a problem riding more slowly than possible and often do that when riding with a congenial group. I think below about 3 mph is where I would have trouble.
Old 01-02-20, 02:32 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
It’s a good skill to develop, as annoying as it can be at first.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 01-02-20, 02:36 PM
jbasirico
Mitochondriac

Bikes: Fezzari Empire SL, BMC Roadmachine 03

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
If you have a regular fast ride/training workout, then you'll have less of an issue with loafing along in between those workouts on casual rides.
Likes For jbasirico:
Old 01-02-20, 02:40 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Most of us Freds don't get enough Z2 time, anyway.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-02-20, 02:55 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
You can also use the ride with your slightly slower than you buddies as an opportunity to test ride some more tourist oriented bike builds. I have a 1999 Cannondale CAAD3 R1000 that is retro set up with SunTour 3x8 XC Pro/Command shifting and a cobbled together Dura Ace 7410 crankset into a 1/2 step + granny triplizer triple with Salsa chainrings and a 12/26 SunTour Accushift rear cassette.

It can most definitely huff it and ride spirited if called upon for the speed. However, the funky fun Command paddle shifters are different enough from every body else’s STI that it ends up lolly gagging really well too.
Old 01-02-20, 03:53 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Plenty of riders I know are like that.

Best solution is to ride with like-minded and like-abled riders.

However, if you find yourself on a more mellow ride, try to drop it back and enjoy the scenery or socialize a little. You might enjoy it.
This. I will also add that a tip I learned from the Vegan Cyclist on youtube that actually works is to "dress down" for casual, chill rides. Do it in a t-shirt and running shorts instead of a kit, and you'll naturally find yourself riding at a slower, conversational pace instead of tickling your threshold every time you hit a grade.
Old 01-02-20, 03:57 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Drop your air pressure
Do everything you can to be un-aero
Take all the pulls, all day

Sort of the opposite of everything we are hardwired to do
Old 01-02-20, 04:50 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Ride with faster people. Be social in the coffee shop.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 01-02-20, 05:09 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
When I ride with friends with less fitness, I tell myself that this is a social ride, not a training ride, and I ride accordingly. I'll also do things to even the odds and keep it interesting for me, like offering to carry peoples' gear (water bottles, clothing layers, etc...), gear down to work on my high RPM spinning smoothness, or gear up to work on my strength, sprint ahead to stop and take action photos then sprint to catch up, etc...
Yeah, I used to ride SS, about a 70" gear, just don't shift. Or ride really huge gears, like a 50 cadence and keep shifting to keep it low like that. Or the opposite, keep spinning over 100. Or with folks that are quite a bit slower, unclip one foot on a long climb and just trade feet, but drop back first so they can't see you. You can prop the lazy foot in the frame triangle. Or some of each of these things. One can have quite a good training ride that way and stay in the group. No one ever gave me a bad time about doing that stuff. Probably didn't notice.
Old 01-02-20, 05:42 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Sounds like they reverse dropped you.
Likes For brianmcg123:
Old 01-02-20, 06:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yeah, most of my road bike rides are Z3 and Z4. I have a hard time dialing down the effort for the Z2 stuff. The road bikes and kit just encourage harder efforts. Another problem is I can't hear my phone announcements of my heart rate when the phone is in my rear jersey pocket. Wind noise drowns it out. So I tend to push harder. I don't have any computer on my outdoor bike, so I just go by how it feels, pushing as hard as I can sustain for 20-40 miles.

So about once a week I'll switch to the hybrid, no clipless, casual clothes, and ride with another group of friends for rides of 20-40 miles averaging 12 mph. Those are just as enjoyable. We had our monthly dinner ride last night, so most of my ride was to and from the meetup, a 25 mile round trip for me. Even then, when I was riding solo, I was pushing harder than necessary.

On the hybrid I can usually put the phone in a front pocket, or even my jeans or shorts front pocket. So I can hear Wahoo Fitness announce my heart rate every few minutes. Reminds me to ease up instead of turning a casual ride into just another workout.

Ditto indoor trainer sessions. I do only short HIIT sessions, or all Z1-Z2 spins for 90 minutes to a couple of hours or longer while watching movies. I do my tempo and workout rides outdoors.

Reminds me, I really should get a basic bike computer compatible with my HR, cadence and speed sensors for outdoor rides. At the moment I have one only on the indoor trainer bike.
Old 01-02-20, 06:27 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
It's more of a problem when I'm alone than when I'm with others, but I guess it depends on what you want to get out of your rides with others. I have friends that are newer to cycling and/or less fit - I approach rides with them as being social more than anything. If I'm feeling antsy and need to stretch my legs, I have weekly club rides that are spirited or I can flog myself on solo outings.
This.

People who can't do 15 mph on a bike don't like to ride very long. You can go on a short scenic ride with them, and then go get your workout on afterwards.
Old 01-02-20, 07:22 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
It's really not that hard. The first thing you do is turn off you data recording device or stash it somewhere so you can't look at it. Don't worry about the speed, watts, power, etc and the rest will work itself out. Take away the need for the effort and the effort will decrease.
Old 01-02-20, 07:30 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,318 Times in 2,703 Posts
Originally Posted by brianmcg123
Sounds like they reverse dropped you.
I've heard that a way to rid the group of an annoying rider is to let him go charging off the front, then the group makes a turn. After the ride "Oh man, we hollered at you but you were too far ahead. We knew none of us could catch you!"
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-03-20, 04:46 AM
travelerman

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Yeah, most of my road bike rides are Z3 and Z4. I have a hard time dialing down the effort for the Z2 stuff. The road bikes and kit just encourage harder efforts. Another problem is I can't hear my phone announcements of my heart rate when the phone is in my rear jersey pocket. Wind noise drowns it out. So I tend to push harder. I don't have any computer on my outdoor bike, so I just go by how it feels, pushing as hard as I can sustain for 20-40 miles.
I guess my problem here might be what other commenters suggested; an imbalance with the guys with which I used to hang... most of this ride was Z2 for me:

Likes For travelerman:
Old 01-03-20, 06:21 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
When riding with some of my friends I ride before I meet up with them or make it on a rest day. I'm also conscious that I don't half wheel them. They're gracious enough to spend time with me, I can, at the very least, be gracious enough to not make the experience miserable for them.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 01-03-20, 08:09 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
This.

People who can't do 15 mph on a bike don't like to ride very long. You can go on a short scenic ride with them, and then go get your workout on afterwards.
The numbers may differ, but true.

Originally Posted by seypat
It's really not that hard. The first thing you do is turn off you data recording device or stash it somewhere so you can't look at it. Don't worry about the speed, watts, power, etc and the rest will work itself out. Take away the need for the effort and the effort will decrease.
This time of year, I rely on the gizmo to keep me from falling into the Z3-4 groove and turning quality, base/endurance (and enjoyable!) miles into "pyramidal" junk that only loads my week with stress.
Old 01-03-20, 08:29 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Our group rides are pretty well labeled. So if our Wednesday ride is a recovery and goes 17-19mph (flat area), and I’m in the mood for a harder workout I’ll just pull longer than my fair share or pace the group. Or ride on my own.

we recently started an amazing z2 ride, of course that’s different for everyone but basically 55 miles 19-22moh average and we get a huge group every Saturday of over 40ppl easily depending on time of year. Sometimes folks will split up and go off the front we let them go stretch the group and the legs for a bit. If they try to push the group beyond the intent of the ride we politely suggest the local A or B ride which are a different work out!

Then I have a smaller group of folks that I ride with regularly. When I choose to ride with them I know exactly what I’m in for a nice pleasant 14-18mph average for about 30 miles chatting all the while and coffee afterwards, I’ll pull a bit longer than some but always stay together since that’s what we bought into and as a smaller group would suck for the less strong people to leave them in the middle of the ride.

thankfully lots of options where I am!
Likes For robbyville:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.