Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Water on a Catrike

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Water on a Catrike

Old 01-07-20, 03:15 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Water on a Catrike

My 2003 Catrike Speed only has bottle brazeons under the seat. That might be OK for a spare bottle or a pump/tool kit, but I sure can't reach that while I'm riding. Even mounting it on the boom in front of me would be awkward because I'd have to lean forward to reach it. Where do you mount your bottles?
Old 01-08-20, 10:17 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Newer Catrikes have the water bottle holder mounted on the boom with the bottom of the holder about 6" in front of the seat. I don't find it awkward to reach forward on my 2013 CT700 and reach the bottle. I can't see any other place to mount it where it would not interfere with something (like the steering).
Old 01-08-20, 03:07 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Newer Catrikes have the water bottle holder mounted on the boom with the bottom of the holder about 6" in front of the seat. I don't find it awkward to reach forward on my 2013 CT700 and reach the bottle. I can't see any other place to mount it where it would not interfere with something (like the steering).
Do you do anything special to keep your water bottle seated? I've lost several Camelback Podium bottles because they jumped out of my water bottle cage when I hit a bump.

So far I've had good luck with:
1. Blackburn Chicane cages, mildly bent upward at the tip and using a chain roller under the front bolt to sweeten it's angle a bit.
2. Bottles that I bought from Connecticut Yankee in Chariton Iowa. Those bottles have a fortuitously placed dip that matches the Chicane cage well.
Old 01-08-20, 03:08 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Can you use a seat bag on your trike? I've only ever used a seat bag with a camelbak in it for water. I can't even think of how I would mount a regular bottle holder anywhere and be able to use it.
Old 01-08-20, 03:45 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I no longer have my Catrike, but when I did, I used a 3-liter Camelback unbottle, slung behind the seat with a couple of webbing straps. I kept the hose clipped to my jersey when I was on it. This worked well for me.
Old 01-09-20, 01:57 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

I need to be able to get to the bottle without breaking cadence, and I'm afraid that if it were mounted to the boom I'd have to stop pedaling and sit up to reach it. Bladders are an option, but not at the top of my list because I'd prefer to not be attached to the trike. Plus, bladders can be a pain to refill and to clean. I have a nice Ztto cage mount and I had it on the rear stay, behind my shoulders. This position works well for my carbon shell seats, but on the trike it's so far back that I can barely reach it. Maybe I'll end up not using the Ztto in favor of a couple of high-tech hose clamps.
Old 01-12-20, 02:03 PM
BlazingPedals

For now, it looks like I can mount a bottle to the crossbar at the top of the seat. That'll place it about shoulder height, a bit further back than the headrest. Adam, are you able to put the bladder inside the webbing for the seat, or do you have to strap it on the outside of the webbing?
Old 01-12-20, 08:50 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Adam, are you able to put the bladder inside the webbing for the seat, or do you have to strap it on the outside of the webbing?
It might have been possible to slide it between the frontside and backside, but it frankly never crossed my mind to try—that would have been a pain to wrassle with every time I needed to refill it (also, I had to have a piece of high-density foam between front and back, because the seat fabric stretched enough that my vertebrae were resting directly on the buckles, which got to be a real problem). I had the unbottle slung on the outside. A couple straps of 1" webbing ran around the seat to hold it. I never noticed the straps when I was in the seat.
Old 01-13-20, 06:42 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
I no longer have my Catrike, but when I did, I used a 3-liter Camelback unbottle, slung behind the seat with a couple of webbing straps. I kept the hose clipped to my jersey when I was on it. This worked well for me.
I used a Camelbak strapped behind the seat and a retractable key holder on the hose clipped to my seat so I could drink whenever I wanted and not have to remove it when when getting off the trike.