Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bearing Race Question

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bearing Race Question

Old 01-15-20, 09:47 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Bearing Race Question

Would an auto parts store (we have a local shop from vintage days) have a line on this bearing race? When I disassembled the rear coaster brake hub on this 1898 Glenwood I discovered why there was a binding-up feel to it. This was a casualty of riding without lube. Here is a pic:

Old 01-15-20, 10:47 AM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Well, I'll offer an opinion for what it is worth. The piece in your hand looks like a bearing cage, not a race. What does the race look like? And, no way an auto shop has a bicycle bearing cage or race. if that is indeed the cage, why not clean up and put in new bearings of the correct size. If the race is shot, then life is probably more difficult. Good luck.
Likes For Steelman54:
Old 01-15-20, 11:14 AM
norcalmike

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
Maybe you can run them loose?
Old 01-15-20, 11:51 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by Steelman54
Well, I'll offer an opinion for what it is worth. The piece in your hand looks like a bearing cage, not a race. What does the race look like? And, no way an auto shop has a bicycle bearing cage or race. if that is indeed the cage, why not clean up and put in new bearings of the correct size. If the race is shot, then life is probably more difficult. Good luck.
The trip to the auto store was to see if they had anything close or send me in the right direction. They didn’t care what it was called. The circular metal apparatus is broken. I’ll grease it up and go with loose bearings and see what happens. Thank you.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 01-15-20, 12:09 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
loose ball might be plus one ball based on the spacing of the cage.

check the bearing race (pick would help) if it is toast a machinist could recreate

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 01-15-20, 01:00 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
Since some of the retaining tabs are still intact for measurement, wouldn't something like this be a good candidate for 3D printing? Just spitballing, as I know very little about the process of actually engaging someone to have something like this manufactured.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 01-15-20, 01:17 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by squirtdad
loose ball might be plus one ball based on the spacing of the cage.

check the bearing race (pick would help) if it is toast a machinist could recreate
Took a quick trip to the hardware store to grab a few extra bearings. Got home, greased it up with a total of 7+2, mocked it up and it spins like silky smooth. Feels like 1977. Thanks for the tip.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 01-15-20, 02:10 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Took a quick trip to the hardware store to grab a few extra bearings. Got home, greased it up with a total of 7+2, mocked it up and it spins like silky smooth. Feels like 1977. Thanks for the tip.
Going to chime in to say that I often use heavy automotive bearing grease to sustain a compromised bearing situation where spindle, cup, cone, etc are pitted and may not be practical to find or spend for new.

New balls, s-can the cage, set them up loose, run for awhile, recheck and adjust as necessary.

I know the drag is substantial in terms of perfect, but unless you're Eddy Merckx it won't matter very much.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-15-20, 03:11 PM
PeterLYoung 

Location: Southport, North Carolina, USA & Pevensey, East Sussex, UK

Bikes: 1)1992 Trek 970, 2)2010 Trek 6500, 3)1973 Colnago Super, 4)1955 Freddie Grubb Meteor. 5)1993 Airborne Ti-Hag Titanium. 6)1936 BSA 602DX Roadster. 7)1957 Philips P2 Sports. 8)1955 Dayton Roadmaster. 9)1948 Humber Clubman. 10) 1949 Sunbeam WA3 Wayfarer

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 34 Posts
Would an auto parts store (we have a local shop from vintage days) have a line on this bearing race? When I disassembled the rear coaster brake hub on this 1898 Glenwood I discovered why there was a binding-up feel to it. This was a casualty of riding without lube. Here is a pic:

Throw the cage and fit all balls grade 25. loose balls work fine, they can take more load than equivalent cage.

Likes For PeterLYoung:
Old 01-15-20, 04:18 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by PeterLYoung
Throw the cage and fit all balls grade 25. loose balls work fine, they can take more load than equivalent cage.
Done deal.
Old 01-15-20, 05:58 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,358 Times in 2,034 Posts
FWIW (you already solved the issue) they are out there.
Generally order by # of balls X ball diameter.
Just one source
https://wheelsmfg.com/products/beari...retainers.html
Old 01-15-20, 06:01 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Absolutely no way that was an original bearing. Someone else's best guess/approximation. In the Anglo-American world in 1898 ball bearings were still turned on lathes. Accuracy at best was plus or minus 0.001" and surface finish about the same. You would not want original. Someone else figured it out and so can you.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 01-15-20, 06:54 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by merziac
Going to chime in to say that I often use heavy automotive bearing grease to sustain a compromised bearing situation where spindle, cup, cone, etc are pitted and may not be practical to find or spend for new.

New balls, s-can the cage, set them up loose, run for awhile, recheck and adjust as necessary.

I know the drag is substantial in terms of perfect, but unless you're Eddy Merckx it won't matter very much.
Being a 120yr old wooden rimmed skip chain bike, no big rides or Strava segment challenges with it. I like and agree with your tip on using heavy grease as a tolerator on old bearings.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 01-15-20, 06:56 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by 63rickert
Absolutely no way that was an original bearing. Someone else's best guess/approximation. In the Anglo-American world in 1898 ball bearings were still turned on lathes. Accuracy at best was plus or minus 0.001" and surface finish about the same. You would not want original. Someone else figured it out and so can you.
So what is your guess on the age of that bearing (with retainer)?
Old 01-15-20, 07:02 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,441 Times in 1,127 Posts
So what is your guess on the age of that bearing (with retainer)?
It looks like something we would have gotten from Merry Sales Company in the early seventies (and probably for a couple decades before that.) They came in a wide range of sizes.
Brent

Last edited by obrentharris; 01-15-20 at 07:06 PM. Reason: verbosity
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 01-15-20, 07:24 PM
63rickert

I wish I had a good answer. Have tried to best of ability and thrown some time at the question and not come up with good answers. I have found that as late as 1900 cycling companies were making capex investment in lathes for bearing manufacture. So I will say your bearing is 20th century and can't do better.

Bicycles were the killer app that made bearings a thing. Before bicycles arrived it was done with bushings or with journals run in Babbitt metal. Or you just didn't design it. When bearings were made it was an extremely special one-off. Then bicycles created a demand. Bikes wanted little bearings, not the specials for locomotives. Everyone was working on a way to supply bikes with bearings and no one had anything better than cutting them. Might be done on an automatic screw lathe but that was still basically one at a time, slow and expensive. And crude. Tech was changing practically daily in 1890s. Other factor in play was after the huge boom in 1892-3 bikes did not completely remain fashionable. They were expensive as all heck and the industry needed fashionable gentlemen to be spending cash. Those guys stop spending when it stops being cool. Then automobiles happened.

The real kicker is that in Germany they were grinding bearings in bulk as early as 1879. They had been making marbles since early eighteenth century and figured out same process worked with steel just as with marble or agate. But outside of Germany no one knew. One of the reason German 'oldtimers' are used and ridden a lot more than American bikes of similar vintage is they always had good bearings. The rough lathed bearings beat the bikes to death.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 01-15-20, 08:00 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,358 Times in 2,034 Posts
Not disputing this but some places were producing beyond a lathe.
See pages 34-38.
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/c...9810009866.pdf
Old 01-15-20, 09:09 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Ryp,
If you could measure the OD of the cage and use a micrometer to get the diameter of the balls I'll look in my parts stock and see if any match your needs. That is if you want to say with a caged bearing set. My pleasure to help you out sir!

The add one ball and grease well should work of the races are still in good condition, also. I have a good stock of high quality, loose Campagnolo balls on hand, you are welcome to some if you need. Just give me a shout.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 01-15-20, 09:58 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Ryp,
If you could measure the OD of the cage and use a micrometer to get the diameter of the balls I'll look in my parts stock and see if any match your needs. That is if you want to say with a caged bearing set. My pleasure to help you out sir!

The add one ball and grease well should work of the races are still in good condition, also. I have a good stock of high quality, loose Campagnolo balls on hand, you are welcome to some if you need. Just give me a shout.

Bill
Thank you Bill, you are a blessing of encouragement to me and so many others here. Right now, I will stay with the loose bearings. I have new ones and should do well. The race wasn’t damaged, fortunately.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 01-15-20, 10:06 PM
OldsCOOL

I wish I had a good answer. Have tried to best of ability and thrown some time at the question and not come up with good answers. I have found that as late as 1900 cycling companies were making capex investment in lathes for bearing manufacture. So I will say your bearing is 20th century and can't do better.

Bicycles were the killer app that made bearings a thing. Before bicycles arrived it was done with bushings or with journals run in Babbitt metal. Or you just didn't design it. When bearings were made it was an extremely special one-off. Then bicycles created a demand. Bikes wanted little bearings, not the specials for locomotives. Everyone was working on a way to supply bikes with bearings and no one had anything better than cutting them. Might be done on an automatic screw lathe but that was still basically one at a time, slow and expensive. And crude. Tech was changing practically daily in 1890s. Other factor in play was after the huge boom in 1892-3 bikes did not completely remain fashionable. They were expensive as all heck and the industry needed fashionable gentlemen to be spending cash. Those guys stop spending when it stops being cool. Then automobiles happened.

The real kicker is that in Germany they were grinding bearings in bulk as early as 1879. They had been making marbles since early eighteenth century and figured out same process worked with steel just as with marble or agate. But outside of Germany no one knew. One of the reason German 'oldtimers' are used and ridden a lot more than American bikes of similar vintage is they always had good bearings. The rough lathed bearings beat the bikes to death.
Interesting topic. Thank you for taking time to help me and others along. I also, was digging and searching. My rear hub is a patent pend 1907 Atherton coaster brake hub that was evidently added as an aftermarket safety upgrade to the bike.

And yes, we used to play marbles with locomotive ball bearings when we were kids.
Old 01-16-20, 01:14 AM
Cycle Tourist

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 125 Posts
The trip to the auto store was to see if they had anything close or send me in the right direction. They didn’t care what it was called. The circular metal apparatus is broken. I’ll grease it up and go with loose bearings and see what happens. Thank you.
You absolutely can not toss the cage for the balls and just add the balls alone. You'll need at least one or more ball to make the spacing uniform. I can't tell from the photo but the balls looked scarred and if that's so, check the race and cone for scarring. That will determine your next step. In most cases I'd try to buy a new cage style bearing replacement or half a dozen balls to add to the converted loose ball style bearing. I use marine grease or boat trailer grease.
Likes For Cycle Tourist:
Old 01-16-20, 01:58 AM
63rickert

Originally Posted by dedhed
Not disputing this but some places were producing beyond a lathe.
See pages 34-38.
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/c...9810009866.pdf
That's as good as I've found. It's history by series of anecdotes. Most of that I've come across before in other forms. Yes, they processed them after they came off the lathe. Sometimes just guys sitting at a bench filing off the pips. Most interesting in that text is after p.38, lots of basic work being done later than I'd have guessed, presented fairly comprehensively.

On a 1/4" ball accuracy to 0.001" is a grade 4000 bearing. That source says someone (?) got down to half that error in 1890s. OK. Grade 4000 or grade 2000 is a visibly rough ball, oldscool has shiny bearings.

Also note that as late as 1980s Roger Piel was producing and Sean Kelly was racing pedals with bushings instead of bearings. Where there's a will there's a way.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 01-16-20, 03:32 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
You absolutely can not toss the cage for the balls and just add the balls alone. You'll need at least one or more ball to make the spacing uniform. I can't tell from the photo but the balls looked scarred and if that's so, check the race and cone for scarring. That will determine your next step. In most cases I'd try to buy a new cage style bearing replacement or half a dozen balls to add to the converted loose ball style bearing. I use marine grease or boat trailer grease.
I think you are over complicating things. As others have said loose balls and heavy grease = Bobs your Uncle.
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 01-16-20, 08:32 AM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
Yes, I got that part. Just to catch you (and others) up, this is not for my Cannondale Criterium Series.

This is the subject bike:

Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 01-16-20, 10:34 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Pitch the cage and install a set of new ball bearings, without a cage. The cage just makes it easier (cheaper) to install bearing. This goes for head set and wheel hub bearings also...