Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Clicking/ticking ULTEGRA 6800 in the middle sprockets only

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-17, 01:48 PM
CUBEe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Everyone!
I am new to this forum as have an issue with my bike that irritates me a lot!
I own a Cube Attain GTC SL DISC '16 bike with full ultegra 6800, disc brakes and through axles, carbon frame, etc.
The bike has max 1000 km on it but I think I have been to the service at least 10 times too much.
It makes this irritating (although not very loud) clicking noise in the mid sprockets (mainly #5) of the 11 speed cassette. It is audiable the most when on the big chainring and frequency of clicking is cadence related. You can hear the sound on the stand but under load it is very distinctive.
I have been to 5 different mechanics (including shimano service center) and no one can resolve the issue.
Reportedly suspicion was on faulty hub, chain, derailleur and cassette have been excluded. mech is adjusted well (shifting is indeed super smooth), hanger is not bent.
they are saying that clicking of the 11 speed cassette happens and very often related to frame.
Has anyone had anything similar and managed to resolve it? I can't believe that ULTEGRA 6800 was designed with "clicking potential".
It is just so an annoying when an expensive (OK, it is not the best/most expensive bike, I get it) like that is ticking and ticking.
Thanks
P.s. I did find a way to minimize clicking by increasing cable tension but then switching to the smaller sprockets is rough (with a delay).
Old 06-09-17, 01:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Its worn down first, because you use it most?
Old 06-09-17, 02:10 PM
CUBEe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Its worn down first, because you use it most?
Doesn't look worn down after 1000 km - it is really peanuts for it. Plus mechanics reportedly swapped the cassette and the noise was still there
Old 06-09-17, 02:11 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Cadence related would be your pedals or crank.
Old 06-09-17, 02:18 PM
CUBEe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Cadence related would be your pedals or crank.
Why would the clicking get much quieter with increased RD cable tension?
Old 06-09-17, 02:19 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
You need to adjust your RD
Old 06-09-17, 04:30 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CUBEe
Hi Everyone! I have been to 5 different mechanics (including shimano service center) and no one can resolve the issue.
Reportedly suspicion was on faulty hub, chain, derailleur and cassette have been excluded. mech is adjusted well (shifting is indeed super smooth), hanger is not bent.
Welcome to the forum. How were the items listed above been excluded ? Did they replace every part one at a time, or just visually inspect them ?

they are saying that clicking of the 11 speed cassette happens and very often related to frame.
Never heard of that one, did they offer to replace the frame ?

Has anyone had anything similar and managed to resolve it? I can't believe that ULTEGRA 6800 was designed with "clicking potential".
Its not designed that way, sounds like they are giving you a line to get rid of you.

It is just so an annoying when an expensive (OK, it is not the best/most expensive bike, I get it) like that is ticking and ticking.
Thanks
P.s. I did find a way to minimize clicking by increasing cable tension but then switching to the smaller sprockets is rough (with a delay).
I know the feeling, I've gone through the same issue with drive train noise, was told over and over "its normal", "it will go away over time" etc etc. The only way I could rule out anything was to start replacing components one by one until the issue was solved. My issue turned out to be a defective and/or mismatched chain, not sure what was wrong with the chain but it fixed the issue. Your shifting delay sounds like you just need to adjust your RD at the barrel adjuster.
Old 06-09-17, 05:34 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Is the clicking cassette related or chain RPM related?

What I mean is at a cadence of 90 and a gear ratio of 3 to 1, you should hear the clicking 270 times in a minute one for each revolution of the cassette. Basically 4 times a second.

If the chain (or pedal/crank) had a bad spot you would hear it 90 times in a minute.

John
Old 06-09-17, 11:39 PM
CUBEe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr
Welcome to the forum. How were the items listed above been excluded ? Did they replace every part one at a time, or just visually inspect them ?

Never heard of that one, did they offer to replace the frame ?

Its not designed that way, sounds like they are giving you a line to get rid of you

I know the feeling, I've gone through the same issue with drive train noise, was told over and over "its normal", "it will go away over time" etc etc. The only way I could rule out anything was to start replacing components one by one until the issue was solved. My issue turned out to be a defective and/or mismatched chain, not sure what was wrong with the chain but it fixed the issue. Your shifting delay sounds like you just need to adjust your RD at the barrel adjuster.
Thanks for the detailed response.

I was not present during the testing but the mechanics told me that they put a new cassette and a new chain.

I was stupid enough to buy the bycicle 300 km away from my house so I gave up driving back and forth after 3 visits. The frame comment actually came from a local service which I don't fully buy to be honest...
Adjusting the cable tension returns the clicking and smooth shifting comes only with clicking.

The clicking the rear mech related as it definitely mor frequent than cadence. But what I was trying to say that the higher is the cadence the more frequent is clikcing.
Old 06-09-17, 11:41 PM
CUBEe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Is the clicking cassette related or chain RPM related?

What I mean is at a cadence of 90 and a gear ratio of 3 to 1, you should hear the clicking 270 times in a minute one for each revolution of the cassette. Basically 4 times a second.

If the chain (or pedal/crank) had a bad spot you would hear it 90 times in a minute.

John
John, it is more like 300 clicks per second. Have a new chain as of This Wednesday feels more like cassette so will likely need to go to one more mechanic who would actually replace all the parts in my presence.
Old 06-09-17, 11:43 PM
CUBEe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And the dealer actually blamed the hub and said he replaced it under guarantee...
Old 06-10-17, 12:07 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

I'm not as familiar with 10/11 speed cassettes, but I thought the cogs were spidered in clusters of 2 or 3 cogs. So are the clicking cogs only spidered together or does the clicking cross over other spidered cogs?

John
Old 06-10-17, 12:14 AM
CUBEe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not as familiar with 10/11 speed cassettes, but I thought the cogs were spidered in clusters of 2 or 3 cogs. So are the clicking cogs only spidered together or does the clicking cross over other spidered cogs?

John
This I don't know. Haven't seen a dissambled cassette yet.
Is it normal that some teeth are slightly bent (really a bit)? Or all should be as straight as knife's bald?
Old 06-10-17, 12:50 AM
70sSanO

Yes the teeth are different based on their location to the cassette cog ramps. But the angled (twist) ones should not be wider that the overall cog width.

John
Old 06-10-17, 09:12 AM
70sSanO

Did they eliminate the shifter?

If everything is smooth and quiet at both ends and the clicking is in the middle only, and alignment is fine, (which may be debatable), maybe the problems are from the source.

John
Old 06-10-17, 01:32 PM
CUBEe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did they eliminate the shifter?

If everything is smooth and quiet at both ends and the clicking is in the middle only, and alignment is fine, (which may be debatable), maybe the problems are from the source.

John
Thanks John. Will check the shifters somehow. Noticed today that it is more audiable when clicking from up the cassette than down. Don't know if it means anything though.
Old 06-10-17, 02:30 PM
70sSanO

There are people here much more versed in modern drive trains... and real mechanics. But for my older mtbr shifters I find as shifters wear this seems to be an issue. The chain will rattle one way but up and back eliminates it. Don't know if this helps you at all, but it could be bad or prematurely worn ratchet gear in the shifter.

Makes more sense than the frame causing it.

John
Old 06-11-17, 09:42 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
I'm suspecting that the derailleur hanger or the cage has a subtle twist that throwing off the alignment of the chain as it passes from the derailleur to the sprocket. Visually, does the chain align on the middle of the cassette the way it does at the ends? Does shifting the chainring up front change the behavior of the chain at the cassette? Shift into small-small. Is the derailleur cage parallel to the wheel or does it angle in or out a little? Try applying a little English on the derailleur. Gently twist the cage with your hand to see if that quiets it down.
Old 05-27-18, 10:20 AM
prokyon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I registered just to post a solution to this - I had the same problem on brand new Canyon - here's what I did:
1) Shift to the gear that's causing clicking noise - large gear up front, whatever gear is clicking at the rear
2) Check indexing - if it looks good proceed
3) Check which cog on the gear is causing the clicking noise (which tooth)
4) Hold the rear wheel with your hand to provide resistance and pedal with right hand - find just the spot which clicks and look at the teeth on the next gear up and down (so if the chain is on gear n, look at the teeth of gears n-1 and n+1). In my case one tooth (just one) on gear n-1 was holding the chain, so when the chain was going around gear n it would get held by that tooth on gear n-1 and would then click in eventually, causing the noise
5) Mark the problem tooth with white chalk marker (water soluble)
6) Take the rear wheel off
7) Either carefully file down the problem tooth to allow it to not catch the chain or use a cutoff wheel (be careful) to sand it in the right direction.

I was impatient and used cheap Dremel knockoff from HobbyKing to file the tooth down - put the wheel back on and no more noise. I came in at an angle and filed it down just enough to not catch the chain - so most of the tooth is original, just the part which was catching was filed down. Be careful to not cut adjacent teeth!

So there you go - problem solved. It looks like a production line issue at Shimano... I hear mild clicking on the other teeth of the cassette, but since the bike is new those should wear in - can't hear it when riding, just on my the work stand.

Hope this helps someone!
Likes For prokyon:
Old 06-10-18, 06:28 PM
Sweetwater

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Miele Lupa, Trek 520 fixie, GT Aggressor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
prokyon – I am going to have to look into this. I have a brand-new bike with a Shimano RD-R8000 GS 11-speed rear derailleur and it has been rattling on the 7th highest gear from the beginning. Local bike shop adjusted it several times, to no avail – it shifts fine but rattles on the 7th gear, whether on small or big chain ring, whether down shifting or shifting to a higher gear. LBS replaced the derailleur hanger but that made no difference, either. When I get a few minutes, I will try this and try to remember to update the forum. Thanks!
Old 06-10-18, 10:35 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
I suspect the new resin carrier for the middle cogs is somehow to blame.

Oh hang on, this is 6800, not 8000...
Old 06-11-18, 06:14 AM
prokyon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had the chain make clicking noises (same problem) on the other lower gears after - I was able to fix that by just tightening the rear derailleur cable (rotate adjuster barrel counter-clockwise). I basically had to index the gears by sound - visually indexing is fine.

In general the rear cassette is noisy, or it could be the chain - when pedaling I can really hear the chain wrap around. On my commuter bike I barely hear anything. Same goes for the freewheel - super loud! I don't need a bicycle bell - just stop pedaling and folks hear the freewheel clicks and move out of the way.
Old 06-14-18, 06:19 PM
Sweetwater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
prokyon – Okay, I am officially stumped. I floated the idea of the bad cassette cog to my LBS and he was happy to play along. Took my bike in and he installed a different wheel with a different cassette. Took it for a test ride – NO rattling! So they installed a new cassette on my wheel and reinstalled it. Took it on a test ride; it IS rattling! I still hear the same rattling sound when in 7th highest gear. Grrr! So I think it must be the hub – though I cannot fathom how the hub can rattle on just one gear. Anyway, they reinstalled my cassette cog set. Will try and find a good time to have them rebuild or troubleshoot the rear hub.
Old 06-15-18, 12:27 PM
AndrewJB

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Take the cassette off and carefully inspect the splines of the hub. Look for a burr or nick that might be causing the one gear to not seat properly.
Based on your description, I won't go so far as to say it is the only explanation, but it's all I got...
Old 06-16-18, 04:29 PM
Sweetwater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Andrew - thanks, I'll check that.

Last edited by Sweetwater; 06-16-18 at 04:41 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.