Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A gentle note to BF members

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-18, 10:23 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 262 Posts

Ive been coming to this forum for many years. I have posted many times.. Hundreds actually. I love the feedback and the input from all of you that know more about my bicycles than I do. I really do! You guys have got me out of a lot of jams when I had questions. However, Im a little disturbed when I see some tear down other BF members and their bicycles.

Just a gentle note to some. (If your offended by what im about to say, this message is probably for you.) Please remember, some folks that post their bicycles on this forum are taking a risk. Some are posting the only bike they own and its their pride and joy, some post her bikes that are not high end but still are very valued. Some post here bikes that they restored for the first time. People come here to show off their bikes and hope for a little affirmation because we have a common interest. I cant see any reason why someone would feel the need to tear down the BF member that may have not set up their bicycle as YOU see fit. Lets encourage and build each other up.
Lets be clear for a moment. This is a lonely Hobby. I have a freaking bicycle museum in my basement and those in the bike club I ride with have ZERO interest in my vintage crap. Im ok with that. Thats why i come here and have a YouTube channel to talk about my crap. So, remember that before we feel the need to rip someone over petty stuff. Just saying. Im sure many of you are in agreement.

Thanks for listening

JJ
Old 12-12-18, 10:38 PM
tarsi 

Bikes: '82 Colnago Superissimo, '84 TREK 720, '93 Cannondale T700, '99 Bianchi MegaTube Ti

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 12-12-18, 10:47 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Well said. Let’s remember to be kinder to each other and more supportive.

in the past I’ve had a tendency to come across as an arrogant jackass. Lately, however, I have been making a greater effort to be a nicer person.

Thank you for the reminder.
Old 12-12-18, 11:01 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
I don't share my suggestions to tear down a bike and its owner. I forward my suggestions on how to configure things on bikes from just my knowledge on such that I learned from lots of other people (and confirmed effectiveness on my bikes) who share the love of cycling and bikes through the years.
Running cables on bikes, my mechanical sense tells me that the routing should be as smooth and direct with the most gradual bends and shortest lengths so you get the best response and performance from your brakes. It is just simply that and it definitely makes a difference on all my bikes (that's why I actually prefer the feel of my non aero levered bikes to the aero levered ones). I think that is very useful knowledge shared with fellow C&Vers tor a critical safety component on a bike. Akin to maybe telling a bike owner that their front brake shoe holders are flipped and the pads could shoot out of them unless they flip them, but to a lesser extent of being a "clear and immediate danger".
In the end it is up to the owner how they take our comments and suggestions, whether to consider them for their bikes or not but we should not be so thin skinned and get offended by these. That's how I learned how to build my bikes all these years.
If I was so sensitive about comments in these forums I would be balled up and crying all the time from all the usual comments about C&V CF bonded frame bikes being worthless CF asplosion timebombs on two wheels......
Old 12-12-18, 11:02 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 717 Posts
Nobody should have to get put down directly or have their bike(s) belittled. Ive seen it here once or twice and this isnt the place to do it nor anywhere else.

Thanks OP for pointing this out.
Likes For malcala622:
Old 12-12-18, 11:11 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
I will admit it was very difficult to comment positively a fellow's work a few years ago who just thought it was dandy to repaint a very pedestrian frame as a DeRosa and upset that the collective group did not support the idea.
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-12-18, 11:37 PM
ElliotSF

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, JJ. I think it's good to be supportive with everyone, but especially with people who are new to bicycling and/or new to C&V. The first few posts I made on this forum were just plain dumb, but list members here responded with patience. I appreciated it then, and I still do.
Old 12-12-18, 11:38 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by nesteel
Jeez, do we need a safe space thread sticky now?
Thats a fair question. Im not softy sensitive type. Those that know me will confirm that. However you have to admit that some go overboard. Thats my concern. I dont mine when some question my bikes, But some folks will go as far as to trash someones bicycle or question someones intellect. Thats all Im saying.

JJ
Old 12-12-18, 11:40 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
Thats a fair question. Im not softy sensitive type. Those that know me will confirm that. However you have to admit that some go overboard. Thats my concern. I dont mine when some question my bikes, But some folks will go as far as to trash someones bicycle or question someones intellect. Thats all Im saying.

JJ
Wholeheartedly agree.
Old 12-12-18, 11:59 PM
MiloFrance

Bikes: Lots of French, some British and a couple of Italian

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 65 Posts
+
Old 12-13-18, 12:23 AM
Nu2Miele

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
from a kinder, gentler nation

Hi all.
It is so easy to be critical of folks who don't "get it". But isn't the mandate of forums in general? I have other hobbies too, and the same sort of thing happens in those forums too. Perhaps a "new to repairing/ restoring bicycles" or something similar. Sort of a "primer" of sorts of basic stuff. For example a question concerning replacement components for a mid 1990's mountain bike. Say a nice but worn Specialized Hardrock. Should he look for NOS parts, current replacements or functional equivalents?
If people criticise him for his choice of bike (he posted a few pictures), how does that help him better himself? It could be a real POS, but to him it's the best bike he's ever owned, or ridden. Why not encourage him to learn the basic tuneup procedures and to replace worn components, particularly consumables?
It's tough to start this hobby, and it can become financially prohibitive in a hurry.
Let's try to encourage a common sense approach, so that this fictional newb doesn't end up with the world's most expensive mid 1990's Hardrock. But let's also gently guide him to a good approach and one that let's him grow.
Old 12-13-18, 12:55 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 218 Posts
Kindness is key, thanks OP.

Unless someone is doing something dangerous to themselves or others via their bicycle, just let them be.
Old 12-13-18, 01:22 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I will admit it was very difficult to comment positively a fellow's work a few years ago who just thought it was dandy to repaint a very pedestrian frame as a DeRosa and upset that the collective group did not support the idea.
Lol, I remember that guy. And I even caught a tiny bit of flack myownself from a very knowledgeable and respected member here when I did a passably presentable fake-Legnano paintjob on an old Apollo Prestige, before the closeups of the labels I made for it ("Velo Cheapo" and "Ibrido Falso Internationale") made it pretty clear nobody who could possibly care about the distinction could possibly mistake it for the real thing.

I still don't think anyone in the know here should pull any punches by avoiding the term "low end" when a n00b posts up a low-end bike with low-end parts. Most of us have first hand knowledge of just how magical a nicely set up UO-8, or anything CarboLite 103, or better yet, a SuperCourse can be. It's a low end bike. You can damn them with faint praise, but you can also praise them with faint damning.

If they are actually riding the thing, they'll know, one way or the other. And shouldn't really care what some soi dissant expert on the internet thinks about it.

Remember that other guy who was all hot on his rare and minty Huffy AeroWind? A bike so dorky it's actually cool. I hope he's still riding the hell outta that thing. If he is, he's very likely a stronger rider than most of us.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 12-13-18, 01:26 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
When I see posts in this forum saying things like "Crapbon Fiber" bikes...... I think it's quite funny, actually, despite me have lots of CF C&V bikes....
Agree with being respectful,.........but we also want to "keep it light" and enjoyable once in a while.....
Old 12-13-18, 03:18 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
We talking C&V? Can't be. This place is like Woodstock. Well, the 1969 Woodstock. The good one. Peace, love, mud, hippies, Alvin Lee making watermelon lifting look like an Olympics super-heavyweight event. The generation that made guys like Tom Cuthbertson seem like cool role models for teenagers like us who memorized Anybody's Bike Book.

Not the crappy '99 Woodstock. That was like crabon fibber. It assploded. We're just gonna tiptoe away and pretend that never happened.
Old 12-13-18, 03:28 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
Ive been coming to this forum for many years. I have posted many times.. Hundreds actually. I love the feedback and the input from all of you that know more about my bicycles than I do. I really do! You guys have got me out of a lot of jams when I had questions. However, Im a little disturbed when I see some tear down other BF members and their bicycles.

Just a gentle note to some. (If your offended by what im about to say, this message is probably for you.) Please remember, some folks that post their bicycles on this forum are taking a risk. Some are posting the only bike they own and its their pride and joy, some post her bikes that are not high end but still are very valued. Some post here bikes that they restored for the first time. People come here to show off their bikes and hope for a little affirmation because we have a common interest. I cant see any reason why someone would feel the need to tear down the BF member that may have not set up their bicycle as YOU see fit. Lets encourage and build each other up.
Lets be clear for a moment. This is a lonely Hobby. I have a freaking bicycle museum in my basement and those in the bike club I ride with have ZERO interest in my vintage crap. Im ok with that. Thats why i come here and have a YouTube channel to talk about my crap. So, remember that before we feel the need to rip someone over petty stuff. Just saying. Im sure many of you are in agreement.

Thanks for listening

JJ
I am 100% in agreement. Now how about sharing that U-tube channel. I have a lot of time on the road in a van pool and love to watch bike related videos.
Old 12-13-18, 03:43 AM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Good thoughts, JJ. (from another JJ)

Also, it's so easy to help someone out on here. I'll see a post where someone's seeking info about a component, and there's snarky comments like, "Geez dude, just Google it." Well, it took 30 seconds to make that reply, yet it takes about 3 minutes to look up the part on Velobase and provide a clear answer with reference on where to find it and a picture. If you have the time to reply, you have the time to be helpful. It's a poor choice to be snarky.

All except for that one guy, "Am I going fast if I ride 35 miles-an-hour on the MUP?", "Should I carry a .45 for when oncoming riders on the MUP have really bright lights on in the daytime and won't turn them off?", "Is it okay to body-slam someone when they're coming at me 2-across on the MUP?"

That person you should rip until there's nothing left but confetti.
Old 12-13-18, 05:16 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
I agree everything in your OP JJ. However, I've found folks here to be very helpful and accepting.
Old 12-13-18, 05:42 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,781 Posts
If you see a post that is over the top please report it. Just click the red button at the underneath the poster's name, and let the mod staff take a look at it.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 12-13-18, 05:52 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Thanks, well said. Not everyone here has the budget for what some spend here, and are just trying to enjoy the two wheels they have. One thing I do always remember as I read replies is this is the internet. Like Facebook I do not expect it to be civil all the time, though I would like to see that more. Thanks to everybody who has helped me as I continue with road biking as well as bike commuting.
Old 12-13-18, 06:01 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Hey JJ. Your post is bent in the wrong places!

p.s. I like the white cables. Raleigh supplied them that color in the box.
And I think they compliment the white graphics on the frame nicely.

Last edited by rootboy; 12-13-18 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-13-18, 06:42 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
I don't share my suggestions to tear down a bike and its owner. I forward my suggestions on how to configure things on bikes from just my knowledge on such that I learned from lots of other people (and confirmed effectiveness on my bikes) who share the love of cycling and bikes through the years.
Running cables on bikes, my mechanical sense tells me that the routing should be as smooth and direct with the most gradual bends and shortest lengths so you get the best response and performance from your brakes. It is just simply that and it definitely makes a difference on all my bikes (that's why I actually prefer the feel of my non aero levered bikes to the aero levered ones). I think that is very useful knowledge shared with fellow C&Vers tor a critical safety component on a bike. Akin to maybe telling a bike owner that their front brake shoe holders are flipped and the pads could shoot out of them unless they flip them, but to a lesser extent of being a "clear and immediate danger".
In the end it is up to the owner how they take our comments and suggestions, whether to consider them for their bikes or not but we should not be so thin skinned and get offended by these. That's how I learned how to build my bikes all these years.
If I was so sensitive about comments in these forums I would be balled up and crying all the time from all the usual comments about C&V CF bonded frame bikes being worthless CF asplosion timebombs on two wheels......
You seem to be taking the OP's post a little too personally. I don't think it was meant to be an accusation on any one person. Just a reminder for "all" of us to use a little more discretion.
Old 12-13-18, 07:12 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Both JJs, I agree, I have a couple of stinkers you will never get to critique and "just google it" always strikes me as discouraging. I try to be encouraging and educating, yesterday I posted:

Heat will loosen locktite and epoxy as said and as usual sheldonbrown has good advise.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/stuck-pedals.html
Old 12-13-18, 07:17 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
It's been interesting to me that this sub forum is the only consistently civil one on bikeforums.net. I rarely stray to the other ones because of that. It's getting to be a mean world out there. Thanks to all of you who provide a bit of shelter from that.
Old 12-13-18, 07:29 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I like the OP's post but honestly I think this list pretty much does what he suggests. List members don't go after newbies; they're pretty supportive. There is a little bit of back and forth between list members from time to time but almost all of it is pretty good natured.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.