Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mixed spokes on a wheel?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Mixed spokes on a wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-19, 07:04 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Mixed spokes on a wheel?

After enjoying my new wheelset for several months, I happened to test my stainless steel spokes with a magnet on a whim. The results surprised me. On the rear wheel, (24 spokes) 7 had a very strong magnetic attraction and 17 had virtually none. On the front all 20 had very strong magnetic attraction.

I understand that stainless steel can have some light magnetic attraction, and the spoke manufacture has confirmed this. But it seems logical to me that this should be consistent within a batch, without a substantial difference like I found here.

Unless the wheel manufacture or builder used mixed spokes, it doesn’t make sense to me that they could react so widely differently to the magnet test. Wouldn't you agree?

I checked some of my other bikes with SS spokes and almost all reacted very consistently... Very little or virtually no magnetic attraction on all the spokes in the set. One set had one spoke on each wheel that had very strong reaction, while all the rest had virtually none. Strange, I thought.

Finally, if the spokes are mixed, stainless/non-stainless as I suspect, how much does it really matter for performance or longevity? The perfectionist in me says buy new spokes from a reliable source and re-build the wheels, just because I can. The pragmatist in me says just ride and forget about it.
Old 12-15-19, 07:13 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I wouldn’t be surprised if the company used multiple suppliers of spokes and this sort of thing were more common than we realize. As long as the wheels were well built it should never be a concern. I may be OCD, but I’m not all-my-spokes-must-be-equally-magnetic OCD.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 12-15-19, 08:24 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Some grades/alloys of "stainless" (corrosion-resistant, technically) steel are highly magnetic, others less so to varying degrees. Heat treatment such as annealing and processes such as cold-working can change their properties as well. So your spokes are probably all "stainless", just from different manufacturers or grades as ThermionicScott suggests.
https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/is...teel-magnetic/
https://www.carpentertechnology.com/...ainless-steels
Old 12-15-19, 11:32 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
2 DT's sitting on a shelf are magnetic. I don't think the DT's on my wheels are and neither are the Wheelsmiths.
Old 12-16-19, 05:54 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
If there are different spokes in a wheel, some might behave a bit differently over time - stretch more/less, loosen more/less, thus the wheel going out of true; or the nipples could tend to seize more/less than others, making trueing difficult.
Old 12-16-19, 08:22 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I checked the wheels on my bikes. Two set are built with conventional DT spokes and two sets are Shimano pre-builts with bladed spokes. None of the spokes are strongly magnetic, they very from almost no magnetic attraction to very mild.

Most stainless steel bike spokes are made from a 300-grade stainless that is only mildly magnetic at most. I don't know of any maker using strongly magnetic grades of stainless steel (400-series) so those may be plated carbon steel.
Old 12-16-19, 08:34 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
did you buy the spokes in a manufacturer box ? "In theory" if you have a box of 100 spokes, they "should" have come out of the machine sequentially, drawn from the same batch of wire.

if you bought them from a dealer who had spokes in bins then just about anything is possible.

do the spokes have any different markings on the heads ? DTs will have a "DT", Wheelsmith will have a "W", Sapim usually a stamping above the elbow.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 12-16-19, 09:13 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Perhaps another thing to consider with mixed spokes is the weight between the various composition/material used. If there's a difference in weight-per-spoke between the two materials, but they're distributed evenly around the wheel, I suppose there wouldn't much concern/notice. But if there is a weight difference, and they're all clumped together, it might make the wheel considerably out of balance. You may not notice it at low speeds, but at higher speeds it might become apparent...a bouncing feeling...like when a car wheel is out of balance.

Dan
Old 12-16-19, 10:33 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by subgrade
If there are different spokes in a wheel, some might behave a bit differently over time - stretch more/less, loosen more/less, thus the wheel going out of true; or the nipples could tend to seize more/less than others, making trueing difficult.
All of that is very unlikely, especially if the wheelbuilder is competent.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 12-16-19, 11:24 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
did you buy the spokes in a manufacturer box ?

if you bought them from a dealer who had spokes in bins then just about anything is possible.
Wheels were bought already built from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. I explained my case to them and asked for replacement SS spokes, so I could re-build them myself. They asked me to contact Sapim with my concerns, and said they would rebuild the wheels for me pending Sapims response.

From Sapim factory:

All d-light spokes are 100% AISI304. But indeed the cold deformation process ( cold forging process) transforms the austenitic structure partly into a martensite structure. This makes the stainless steel being slightly magnetic. If you a strong magnet all spokes will react but if the magnet isn’t strong than it is possible that some spokes will react and others not.

But believe me, all spokes are AISI304.
...which doesn't really explain the huge discrepancy I found. (I tested with both strong and weak magnets) It seems to me the mix was likely at BWW not Sapim. I have not followed up with BWW and don't know if I'll bother.
Old 12-16-19, 11:30 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
yes, I agree with your analysis. Most likely cause is that the builder mixed and matched spokes of the same length, just pulling them randomly from the bin.

Not sure how to advise you here. Is the wheel behaving normally in use ? Maybe not worth worrying about ? I'm not saying it's ideal, but unless you want rebuild the wheel over the winter I'd let it ride until respoking / replacement was required.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA

Last edited by mpetry912; 12-16-19 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-16-19, 11:47 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Wheels were bought already built from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. I explained my case to them and asked for replacement SS spokes, so I could re-build them myself. They asked me to contact Sapim with my concerns, and said they would rebuild the wheels for me pending Sapims response.

From Sapim factory:

...which doesn't really explain the huge discrepancy I found. (I tested with both strong and weak magnets) It seems to me the mix was likely at BWW not Sapim. I have not followed up with BWW and don't know if I'll bother.
Metallurgical analysis is slightly more complicated than your magnet test, but you could just spray the spokes with water and wait to see which rust first (HAW!). Really, if Sapim's explanation is not good enough for you then NO explanation will be good enough.

Never mind all that. This is not a question about metals. I hope you get some exercise and clear your head so you can think about something important. =)
Old 12-16-19, 11:54 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
No way in this world I'd re-build a set of wheels because some of the spokes "might possibly" be different from the others based on a magnet test. What is important is spoke tension, uniformity and performance. I have some wheels built with the very same spokes, I couldn't tell you if they're magnetic or not.
Old 12-16-19, 12:34 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Perhaps another thing to consider with mixed spokes is the weight between the various composition/material used. If there's a difference in weight-per-spoke between the two materials, but they're distributed evenly around the wheel, I suppose there wouldn't much concern/notice. But if there is a weight difference, and they're all clumped together, it might make the wheel considerably out of balance. You may not notice it at low speeds, but at higher speeds it might become apparent...a bouncing feeling...like when a car wheel is out of balance.
Dan
Neither of these concerns have any merit. The mechanical properties - esp. stiffness (modulus of elasticity)) and density - generally do not vary from one alloy to the next, at least up until their yield/failure point.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 12-16-19, 12:44 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
It is odd, for sure, but I agree with the others who say leave well enough alone. I never thought to do your test, and maybe I will now. Maybe I'll get the same results.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-16-19, 12:58 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Neither of these concerns have any merit. The mechanical properties - esp. stiffness (modulus of elasticity)) and density - generally do not vary from one alloy to the next, at least up until their yield/failure point.
I'd be more concerned about each wheel's interaction with the geomagnetic field, which is rapidly becoming chaotic. Just imagine how the OP's stability will be affected. And we don't need bike riders contributing to the imminent pole flip.

https://www.suspicious0bservers.org/
Likes For AnkleWork:
Old 12-16-19, 01:09 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
is it Friday yet? I've been tempted to buy some bladed forks for my road bike, cuz when I break them, whatever shop I wind up in, doesn't always have the same (original type) to use. so my road bike has mixed spokes
Old 12-17-19, 08:54 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
All of that is very unlikely, especially if the wheelbuilder is competent.
There is no mention of competent wheelbuilder though.

I said it because it has happened to me before. I had my rear rim crack at the spoke holes so it needed replacement. When replacing the rim, one side of the spokes were replaced with new ones (I don't know which side was the new ones, as I had LBS to do the job for me. My bet is that the former DS spokes migrated to NDS and DS had new spokes, since the new rim has slightly higher profile). The wheel kept going out of true, due to DS spokes loosening or stretching, and after a few weeks of winter riding all of DS spoke heads were seized, so I had to cut and replace all of them. Strangely enough, while the spokes most likely still are different on DS and NDS, haven't had any spoke related troubles since then. Go figure.
Old 12-17-19, 09:34 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

I said it because it has happened to me before. I had my rear rim crack at the spoke holes so it needed replacement. When replacing the rim, one side of the spokes were replaced with new ones (I don't know which side was the new ones, as I had LBS to do the job for me. My bet is that the former DS spokes migrated to NDS and DS had new spokes, since the new rim has slightly higher profile). The wheel kept going out of true, due to DS spokes loosening or stretching, and after a few weeks of winter riding all of DS spoke heads were seized, so I had to cut and replace all of them. Strangely enough, while the spokes most likely still are different on DS and NDS, haven't had any spoke related troubles since then. Go figure.
Wheel builders should be competent if they are going to charge money for it. Even the best parts won't guarantee a strong or long lasting build if the build sucks. Sorry to hear about your experience!
RUSA #7498
Old 12-17-19, 09:54 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Ride'em like they are and ask the builder to give you an extended warranty.
Old 12-17-19, 12:00 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts

Weird story. The weirdest thing is if your assumption about reusing DS spokes as NDS is true. When I worked in a shop I would not unlace and reuse spokes - not because they are no good, but because of the time it would take to get them out without damage and inspect them, and the customer would have to pay for that time - it would work out about the same to just charge them for new spokes, which gives them the added advantage of new spokes.
Another possible explanation is that they used all new spokes but forgot to put lube on the DS threads, which they should have done even if they were reusing spokes.
Old 12-17-19, 12:40 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Weird story. The weirdest thing is if your assumption about reusing DS spokes as NDS is true. .
How I like to reuse spokes, especially this time of year.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/7355516...SABEgJxSfD_BwE