Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Removing cheap spray paint from components.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-07-20, 04:42 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,738 Times in 629 Posts

I have come across a lot of fairly nice parts bikes with nice components recently that are free for the taking but have full cheap raddle can spray jobs wheels tires pretty much everything including chain drive parts, brakes and tires. Any good advise on cheap easy way to remove cheap paint. Before I just pass on stuff and leave it were it is. On pretty much all this stuff I don't care about the actual frame or bike I just want the paint off the nicer component's and maybe a couple of tires.

Last edited by zukahn1; 10-07-20 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-07-20, 05:38 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
I have come across a lot of fairly nice parts bikes with nice components recently that free that been have full cheap raddle can spray jobs wheels tires pretty much everything chain drive parts andbrakes. Any good advise on cheap easy way to remove cheap paint. Before I just pass on stuff and leave it were it is. On pretty much all this stuff I don't care about the actual frame or bike I just want the paint off the component's
Acetone.
The other guy must be trolling, since sodium hydroxide will strip the anodizing from the aluminum.
Old 10-07-20, 07:30 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

I would agree sodium hydroxide is a bit extreme I would expect it to damage the components plus I really don't wan't to use anything that I would need to wear rsoporator special gloves and googles to use safely. I',m leaning towards acetone on smaller stuff and maybe a paint thinner soak on the bigger all metal stuff. Both are still a bit of work but might be worth it on some of the nicer stuff.
Old 10-07-20, 07:52 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Acetone.
I find that MEK is slightly stronger than Acetone.

I'd probably look at commercial paint strippers at your local building supply store.
Old 10-07-20, 07:58 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
During salvage for the coops, there have been bikes which have been spray painted as the OP had mentioned. I have a few Deore LX parts which require their black paint removed. For the non-painted portions of the derailleurs I'd use stripper. Where the model/brand is painted on the rear derailleur will require a little more thought. Stripper might bugger what is factory painted. I'll try a wipe of acetone first. These cheap spray painted jobs are usually hallmarks of a hot bike.
Old 10-07-20, 08:09 PM
zukahn1 

Theses aren't hot bikes there bin bikes that silly young kids rattle canned to make there own fix up or maybe stop theft in a community that has basically zero bike theft. I know several of the people who rattle canned these bike and through them out. Two of the bike I'm riding were though buy the same neighbors who though these bikes a Schwinn Messa GSX and Raliegh MT-200 weren't worth a basic tune up and pumping up tires.

Last edited by zukahn1; 10-07-20 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-07-20, 08:30 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
I think that rubbing gasoline or reagular paint thinner would take the paint off rather easily. Probably won't hurt the original paints.
Old 10-08-20, 07:33 AM
svoperokram

Bikes: 1967 LEGNANO mod 42 (CONDORINO), 1976 MOTOBECANE SPECIAL SPORT, 1976 PEUGEOT PE41, 1970 PEUGEOT PX8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
I bought Peugeot UO8 that was spray painted all over. I have completly removed the paint with aceton - nail lack remover. All the decals and original paint was left undamaged.

UO8
Old 10-08-20, 08:31 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
Goof Off worked very well on a rattle can painted frame I found at my local co-op. Use gloves.

Don’t use gasoline for anything but internal combustion engines. It’s not particularly effective on paint and it’s particularly hazardous.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-08-20, 09:24 AM
Mr. 66

Gas works great on cheap paint, here's the Lemond that was rattle canned fork. Like any solvent one needs to be careful about how, when and where to used.

Old 10-08-20, 09:57 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Uh oh...
Old 10-08-20, 10:08 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Gas works great on cheap paint, here's the Lemond that was rattle canned fork. Like any solvent one needs to be careful about how, when and where to used.
No. Gasoline isn’t “like any solvent”. One doesn’t need to just be careful about how it is used but one has to be far more careful about how, when, and where it is used. Acetone and MEK are flammable but they don’t have the hazards that gasoline have. For example, the flashpoint of a mixture is a property that is proportional to how flammable a substance is. For acetone, the flashpoint is -20°C. Gasoline has a flashpoint of -40°C.

Additionally, the explosive limit of acetone is 2.6 to 12.8% in air. The explosive limit of gasoline is 1.4 to 7.6%. It takes far less gasoline in the air to form an explosive mixture. Gasoline is also rather toxic.

Bottom line: gasoline is one of the most hazardous things we handle regularly and we should never have a cavalier attitude towards it or it’s use. As a chemist who handles hazardous materials all the time, there are few materials that I encounter in a laboratory setting that have as many hazards as gasoline do.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-09-20, 09:01 AM
Mr. 66

Originally Posted by cyccommute
No. Gasoline isn’t “like any solvent”. One doesn’t need to just be careful about how it is used but one has to be far more careful about how, when, and where it is used. Acetone and MEK are flammable but they don’t have the hazards that gasoline have. For example, the flashpoint of a mixture is a property that is proportional to how flammable a substance is. For acetone, the flashpoint is -20°C. Gasoline has a flashpoint of -40°C.

Additionally, the explosive limit of acetone is 2.6 to 12.8% in air. The explosive limit of gasoline is 1.4 to 7.6%. It takes far less gasoline in the air to form an explosive mixture. Gasoline is also rather toxic.

Bottom line: gasoline is one of the most hazardous things we handle regularly and we should never have a cavalier attitude towards it or it’s use. As a chemist who handles hazardous materials all the time, there are few materials that I encounter in a laboratory setting that have as many hazards as gasoline do.
Yawn, that's more like it, better with the explanation, than the orders you commanded before Lol, Gas works great for removing cheap paint.
Old 10-09-20, 10:14 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Yawn, that's more like it, better with the explanation, than the orders you commanded before Lol, Gas works great for removing cheap paint.
My post wasn’t meant for you. You are a lost cause. It was meant for people who might be considering your rather uninformed advice. You might want to inform your local fire department of your gasoline usage so that they know what to do when they pull up to your house fire.

For everyone else reading this really bad advice...and especially for those considering following it...go down to your local fire department and ask them about using gasoline for anything outside of running an internal combustion engine. I’m sure they will have pictures to show you.