Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

30 mph ebike this morning

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-23-19, 12:56 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts

I took my grand boy and his buddy to school this morning. Fine. Just for fun I went the long way home, I was up and too late to get in bed so why not? Coming east on Boulevard Way I came up to a bicyclist. Going pretty fast, as I passed him I recognized some kind of mid drive set up. I went around the corner to Mt Diablo blvd and he was keeping up. I was doing about 30mph. He not pedaling at all. Turning left at Oakland Blvd he was in the lane behind me. I turned and he was still following not pedaling. Is this the new normal? That’s disturbing. No license, rules, no enforcement?

I know that California has ebike rules and speed limits for paths. But the ads I see for ebikes all emphasize how much power they have. And as I observed people want to use it. This guy was on the road so that’s one issue but I expect he’ll be using the convenient MUP next. Sigh
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 10-23-19, 01:04 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
I took my grand boy and his buddy to school this morning. Fine. Just for fun I went the long way home, I was up and too late to get in bed so why not? Coming east on Boulevard Way I came up to a bicyclist. Going pretty fast, as I passed him I recognized some kind of mid drive set up. I went around the corner to Mt Diablo blvd and he was keeping up. I was doing about 30mph. He not pedaling at all. Turning left at Oakland Blvd he was in the lane behind me. I turned and he was still following not pedaling. Is this the new normal? That’s disturbing. No license, rules, no enforcement?

I know that California has ebike rules and speed limits for paths. But the ads I see for ebikes all emphasize how much power they have. And as I observed people want to use it. This guy was on the road so that’s one issue but I expect he’ll be using the convenient MUP next. Sigh
I believe that if the motor is still assisting beyond 28 mph, it is not classified as any class of ebike in California. Is that wrong?
Old 10-23-19, 01:26 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,170 Times in 682 Posts
I was doing about 30mph.
you're doing 30? was this on flat ground? i am impressed. i need a tail wind for that, or a down hill assist...or an e-bike apparently.
Old 10-23-19, 01:26 PM
sheaffer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Next time you see this cyclist with ebike call the police ��( or not) amazon and ebay is full of these ebike conversion systems and many of them do allow you to ride on battery and motor only with no pedaling. I have an old trek navigator that im thinking of buying conversion system for it.
Old 10-23-19, 02:24 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
So you were going 30MPH and the e-bike was going 30MPH. Why is it ok for you but not for them?
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 10-23-19, 02:33 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
Maybe I didn’t explain it well. I was driving in a car.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 10-23-19, 02:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
So you were going 30MPH and the e-bike was going 30MPH. Why is it ok for you but not for them?
Actually, it would be ok if the ebike rider was pedalling. By the way California classifies ebikes, doing it without pedaling means it's a motor vehicle.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-23-19, 03:30 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
Maybe it's just me. Having been in cities around the world with gazillions of crazy people on scooters, e-bikes, etc, I just don't see the big deal.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 10-23-19, 03:40 PM
sheaffer

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Maybe it's just me. Having been in cities around the world with gazillions of crazy people on scooters, e-bikes, etc, I just don't see the big deal.
Pretty much every philly center city chinese food delivery person is zipping thru on ebikes. Sometimes they pedal...and sometimes they dont. Not sure about PA law and ebikes but i have not seen anyone being pulled over for “sir, you are riding your bike 30mph and not pedaling, im giving you a ticket” im prety sure no one has insurance for these things. But i guess if they run into you, the restaurants liability ins would kick in. Anyway, those ebikes are here to stay.
Old 10-23-19, 03:47 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts

Just be glad that it isn't Philadelphia and a 2 stroke dirt machine.

Just saying... E bikes without people pedaling are not the problem in our society!
Old 10-23-19, 04:18 PM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
I would be happy someone is on a bike vs in a car. Why must boomers complain about everything? For what it's worth, I don't ride an e-bike.
Likes For GnipGnop:
Old 10-23-19, 04:33 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Interesting timing of this thread.

Driving on a fairly busy rural road on my way home from work tonight, I came up behind a cyclist. As I got closer I noticed he wan't pedaling so I assumed he was on an ebike. Hard to gauge his speed but he was going around 30 mph. I looked over as I passed him and the bike was a modern hybrid equipped with a gasoline engine, like a Whizzer.
Old 10-23-19, 05:07 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
You also failed to explain why this ebike rider's activity disturbed you, or how this ebike rider negatively affected you or anybody else. Other people might get disturbed at the thought of someone driving a motor vehicle the long way to get somewhere "just for fun".

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 10-23-19 at 05:11 PM.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-23-19, 05:23 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Isn't this just about a there being a right to use motorways with a motorized vehicle with some sort of verified ability to do so? Otherwise I could imagine that all suspended-license DWI drivers just go to something called an "e-bike"
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 10-23-19, 07:11 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
You explained it fine. I got that you were in a car. How else would you take two kids to school?
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 10-23-19, 10:29 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
To be fair, seeing people doing 30mph on an e-bike, without pedalling, grates me a little too.

And I do 30mph on an e-bike most days...
Old 10-24-19, 01:35 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
I don't see a problem with it as long he is using the road (and obeying the traffic laws, of course).

However, then have been sightings of people on e-bikes doing 30 mph on bike paths even here where there only a handful dedicated bike paths around. That is no longer fine by me. There is no seperate classification for e-bikes in our laws; a bicycle with a motor up to 250W is classified as a bicycle and anything above that is a moped (up to 50cc or 4kW) or a motorcycle if above that; the respective rules apply, regardless if it is electric powered or has a combustion engine. Obviously an e-bike that is capable of 30 mph falls into the moped or sin some cases even motorcycle category and as such is banned from use on bike paths and MUPs.

No license, rules, no enforcement?
I don't know what the laws are in your neck of the woods, but here bicyclists must have a license too. It can be driving license for any other vehicle, or bicycle license, which can be obtained from age of 10.
Old 10-24-19, 01:48 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Your explanation was good, their comprehension is what failed.
Old 10-24-19, 02:20 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
I don't see a problem with it as long he is using the road (and obeying the traffic laws, of course).

However, then have been sightings of people on e-bikes doing 30 mph on bike paths even here where there only a handful dedicated bike paths around. That is no longer fine by me. There is no seperate classification for e-bikes in our laws; a bicycle with a motor up to 250W is classified as a bicycle and anything above that is a moped (up to 50cc or 4kW) or a motorcycle if above that; the respective rules apply, regardless if it is electric powered or has a combustion engine. Obviously an e-bike that is capable of 30 mph falls into the moped or sin some cases even motorcycle category and as such is banned from use on bike paths and MUPs.

I don't know what the laws are in your neck of the woods, but here bicyclists must have a license too. It can be driving license for any other vehicle, or bicycle license, which can be obtained from age of 10.
This is -- as a cyclist -- what I'm most afraid of. As long as e-bike shenanigans don't encroach into traditional bike territory I have no issues with them.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 10-24-19, 03:09 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
It is really easy to get the license though - a simplified theory exam, no riding test. But I'm pretty sure most of those bicyclists that don't have a driving licence, don't have the bicycle license either. It is very rare for police to check that.
Old 10-24-19, 03:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

In the US, it is not required for the operator of a bicycle to be licensed anywhere. In a few places, the bike has to be licensed, but no testing of the rider's ability or knowledge.

The issue with speed of an ebike is simple. At some point, you have a vehicle capable of speeds and cargo capacity that essentially all you're doing is slapping a pair of pedals onto a motorcycle in order to get around drivers license and vehicle inspection requirements. We're designating a low-powered class of vehicles as not being motor vehicles, but that has to cut out somewhere. 30 mph is an arbitrary point, but so is any other number.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-24-19, 06:38 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
This is -- as a cyclist -- what I'm most afraid of. As long as e-bike shenanigans don't encroach into traditional bike territory I have no issues with them.
Same here. Open road no care.

Other night I did see a guy on an ebike with fatbike tires screaming along that had just exited the gravel state park where they aren’t allowed and heading down an MUP with runners. Headphones on, no hands, about 25mph up a grade not pedaling (how he do that? No hands and no pedaling? Cruise control?) Piece of trash. Here I was legally on the road that followed the MUP on my pedal bike because I would have exceeded the speed limit on the MUP. Then here’s this mierda plowing along the MUP.

Lazy entitled people these days, just scoff at the rules.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-24-19, 07:01 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
A E-Bike that does 30mph is a motorcycle and should require insurance and be registered.
Old 10-24-19, 07:09 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
These last three posts are sure to get a swift response by the board's resident "E-Bike Anti-Defamation League". These guys and gals are always on the job and never sleep.
Old 10-24-19, 07:10 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
Here, any vehicle which is human powered does not require a license. This is why you see people who have lost their driver's license due to DUI on bikes. They're usually the ones riding at night without lights on the wrong side of the road.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.