Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Vintage Bike Upgrade

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Vintage Bike Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-20, 10:15 AM
Riders4Rights

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Vintage Bike Upgrade

Hello! I'm fairly new to this forum and bikes in general but I am hoping some of you may have some advice

I purchased what I am fairly certain is a 80's Puch Pathfinder 10 speed on facebook marketplace. It rides ~fine~ but the front derailleur is stiff and won't move at all (may be a cable issue?) and the gears have some hard residue on them.

I am going to try and clean it up as best I can but my main question is: If I wanted to replace the gear-set entirely, is there a brand y'all would recommend? I have been trying to do research on which gearsets would be compatible but it is rather tricky to find someone who has replaced them.
Old 10-07-20, 10:20 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
When you say gear-set, do you mean the gears in the rear? are there only 5 gears in the rear? Photos would help, but you need 10 posts to post photos or links
Old 10-07-20, 10:27 AM
Riders4Rights

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Apologies, I mean both gears, the two in the front and the five in the back. They have some sort of hard residue on them. Despite using solvent and a gentle brillo brush it hasn't really done much.

Yeah - a little restricted by the ten post requirement, but I'll try and post some more so I can meet it.

Last edited by Riders4Rights; 10-07-20 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Misspelled five as give
Old 10-07-20, 10:43 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
The rear is a freewheel and that can be replaced, its best to take it to a shop for removal, because it will need a specific tool that will cost more than the shop removing it. Do you have any idea about the gear range that you want to use? You can replace it with a 6 or 7 speed freewheel too, that would depend on your shifters.

Some example of freewheels
Old 10-07-20, 11:00 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Riders4Rights
Apologies, I mean both gears, the two in the front and the five in the back. They have some sort of hard residue on them. Despite using solvent and a gentle brillo brush it hasn't really done much.

Yeah - a little restricted by the ten post requirement, but I'll try and post some more so I can meet it.
The gears are probably steel, possibly aluminum, I would not hesitate to use a scraper, putty knife or the like to get the residue off.
Never Fix A Running Piece. Many old bikes have very few miles on them. If the gears run smoothly there is not a lot to gain by replacing them.
Old 10-07-20, 11:05 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Dirt or residue on the chainrings and freewheel cogs is not really a very good reason for replacement unless they are also very worn. As for the front derailleur, cable friction is far more likely to be the cause of the problem as opposed to the derailleur and shifter being worn out.
Old 10-07-20, 12:48 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Buy Park tools and do a full overhaul. Deanodize and polish the crankset. Replace chainrings if needed. Replace the freewheel with a new one (chromed Sunrace) and the chain with a new 8-speed (kmc or sram). Buy everything from ebay.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-09-20, 12:23 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
Before an upgrade, (which is ok to do) if the wheels spin well enough to rebuild, I would wire brush the chain, clean and lube. Definitely lube up and clean the derailleurs, wd-40 is your friend. See if you can get that breakaway feel in the pivots.
Old 10-09-20, 01:15 PM
Riders4Rights

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK thank you so much for the guidance!
Old 10-09-20, 01:24 PM
Riders4Rights

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Before an upgrade, (which is ok to do) if the wheels spin well enough to rebuild, I would wire brush the chain, clean and lube. Definitely lube up and clean the derailleurs, wd-40 is your friend. See if you can get that breakaway feel in the pivots.
Will do! Thanks!
Old 10-09-20, 01:25 PM
Riders4Rights

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Buy Park tools and do a full overhaul. Deanodize and polish the crankset. Replace chainrings if needed. Replace the freewheel with a new one (chromed Sunrace) and the chain with a new 8-speed (kmc or sram). Buy everything from ebay.
Incredibly helpful! Thank you so much!
Likes For Riders4Rights:
Old 10-10-20, 10:14 PM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Once you get to 10, definitely post some pictures. How you want to use the bike will dictate what you should do to "upgrade" it. As others have mentioned, if it works well and you just want a ridable bike, give it a clean, replace the cables and housings, replace the chain, and maybe pay someone to tune-up the shifting if you don't feel comfortable (although it really isn't hard and there a ton of good videos on YouTube that will guide you). If you want to modernize the bike with modern components, that will require more parts and money. If that's the route you want to go, it can be done, but you will spend more than if you just bought another bike with the components you already want on it.
Old 10-10-20, 10:29 PM
rogerm3d

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
WD-40 is the key, anytime I pickup a bike that has been sitting for a long time I soak it down with WD-40. For the cables if they move a little bit you can shift into your biggest gear (do this on one derailleur at a time to avoid being in the biggest gear on the front and back). Once in the biggest gear drop some oil onto the gear cable and shift into the smallest gear, do this a couple of times to work the oil in and break things loose.
If the bike has been sitting for a long time letting the oil soak into the derailleurs may be all that's needed. Soak the pivots on the derailleur (any part that moves) and let it sit (or like with the cables running it through the range of motion will work the oil into it.
Old 10-11-20, 07:37 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by rogerm3d
WD-40 is the key, anytime I pickup a bike that has been sitting for a long time I soak it down with WD-40. For the cables if they move a little bit you can shift into your biggest gear (do this on one derailleur at a time to avoid being in the biggest gear on the front and back). Once in the biggest gear drop some oil onto the gear cable and shift into the smallest gear, do this a couple of times to work the oil in and break things loose.
If the bike has been sitting for a long time letting the oil soak into the derailleurs may be all that's needed. Soak the pivots on the derailleur (any part that moves) and let it sit (or like with the cables running it through the range of motion will work the oil into it.
This. I've brought back to life many derailleurs/cables/brakes on bikes that sat rusting in the elements and people couldn't afford (or justify) replacing those parts.
I'll use better stuff than WD though. Kroil/PB blaster/Screwloose work better. Clean grime off first, soak, Work back & forth while adding more lube. Wipe & repeat. Old galvanized cables I'll pull out and run over with emery cloth to knock rust off.