Old 03-09-09, 07:15 PM
schwinntraveler

Bikes: Schwinn Traveler, sekai (2700?)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
visiting Italy

Hi, i'm going to be visiting Italy in about 3 weeks. I'll be in Rome, Venice, Florence, Bolonga, and Milan. I'm wondering if there are any bike shops anyone would recommend going to for a new bike. I'm mostly interested in a track bike. But i'm considering a regular road bike. And i'll probably just be needing a frame. But if there are cheap, quality track wheelsets, and other parts then i would consider buying. And if there is anyone out there that has an Italian brand, or builder they would recommend, i'm all ears.

Thanks in advance,
wes
Old 03-17-09, 10:42 AM
Johnny_Monkey
Studs Terkel

Bikes: Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire; Merckx San Remo 76.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can recommend my LBS in Milan, but you'll probably find it cheaper to buy bikes in the USA.

I have been to all those places as well (I was in Bologna last week for the first time but it was a very brief visit).
Old 03-23-09, 07:47 AM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
It looks like I am visiting Italy in November - my wife wants to do the Florence Marathon. We'll stay a total of 3 weeks and do a few other places (she has Italian heritage and speaks the language).

I thought it would be fun to do some cycling there, perhaps even do the course of the Florence-Bologna stage of this year's Giro d'Italia. Not too far, some nice hills. Probably freeze my balls off.

Taking a bike will be a bit of a nuisance for only a couple of days of a three week trip (don't want to haul it around the rest of the time!).

Can I rent a decent bike in Italy? Any contacts or ideas?
Can I leave my bike packed at a LBS when I'm not using it?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Jonny
Old 03-25-09, 07:16 AM
Dafne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from Brighton!

Hi there!

I am an Italian who comes from Treviso (very close to Venice), but is currently living in Brighton (UK).

As far as some Italian bike brands are concerned, you should try "Pinarello" or "Bianchi".

I am not a great expert though so you might want to have a look at something else.

Have a nice journey!

Riccardo
Old 05-13-09, 11:54 PM
alanmiller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recumbent Bike rental info in Italy

Hello Dafne,

I was excited to read your post since you are from Venice area. I will be riding from Bolzano to Venice from May 25-June 8. obstacles to bringing my bike are ridiculous, so I'm trying to find a recumbent to rent. Does Italy even have any recumbent shops? If so, I can't find any online. Can you give any advice? Thanks for your help!
Old 05-24-09, 09:33 AM
flavio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schwinntraveler
Hi, i'm going to be visiting Italy in about 3 weeks. I'll be in Rome, Venice, Florence, Bolonga, and Milan. I'm wondering if there are any bike shops anyone would recommend going to for a new bike. I'm mostly interested in a track bike. But i'm considering a regular road bike. And i'll probably just be needing a frame. But if there are cheap, quality track wheelsets, and other parts then i would consider buying. And if there is anyone out there that has an Italian brand, or builder they would recommend, i'm all ears.

Thanks in advance,
wes
Well, I was born in Bologna, studied one year in Rome, went in Milan several times, am living in Florence, and love Venice.
So the question is: where do you start? So that maybe I'll can tell you something about that town...
Old 05-24-09, 09:58 AM
jtarver
Rumblefish

Bikes: 1973 Crescent Pepita Single Speed,1978 Raleigh Competition G.S.,1976 Raleigh Super Course MKII,1970's Motobecane Super Touring Fixed Gear, 1980's Denti Road Tech Five,Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo,1973 Atala Giro,Cheap MTB Tandem,Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I visited Cicli S.Bianchi and Florence by Bike a couple years ago. Florence by bike offers bike rental, but only hybrids when I was there. I would have to agree with the natives when they say it would be easier and cheaper to buy a bike stateside rather than deal with shipping it back. I found the used bike market to be rather confusing as most shops sell only new bikes, while repair shops(different from bike shops, they mostly do repairs) usually have a few beaters for sale. That being said, after a few days of hanging around, I convinced a guy at Florence by bike to sell me a handmade Denti with columbus tubing and full dura ace for $225 USD. So, you can find deals, you just have to be patient and persisitent, as Italian commerce is a bit different than in the US. The roads are pretty bumpy, so you may find riding a track bike a bit of a challenge, most folks just ride city bikes and I got a lot of raised eyebrows bombing around on a road bike with 23c tubulars.
P.S.- Watch out for cars and busses and people and scooters!
Old 07-07-09, 11:38 AM
labelsquare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow great thought...

i will go to italy for visiting..i like very much rome..nice architecture....