Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

What is your e-bike?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

What is your e-bike?

Old 03-30-20, 01:58 AM
broomhaylie

Bikes: GI Flybike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is your e-bike?

Some of you may have an e-bike that you plan to own, maintain, and enjoy for years to come. If so, that's awesome!

For those of us who have an e-bike in mind to replace their current one: which is your e-bike, what do you have your eye on as your next e-bike, and why?
Old 03-30-20, 07:15 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
moved here from general
Old 03-30-20, 07:39 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
I am in the process of adding e-assist to my RotoVelo velomobile. Yesterday I was getting bolts and the like to attach the controller.

I decided not to go with mid-drive because I want to be able to use regen. I think this will be heavy enough for that to be useful. I have a 48V 20AH battery I will be using. Keeping that to about 20mh, I expect to see 75-100 mi range, depending on how much I put in.
Old 03-30-20, 09:20 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I much prefer add-on e bike kits because you can move them from one bike to another (sometimes easily, sometimes not, depending on the brand). Not a big fan of dedicated commercial e-bikes, because "most" are not great bikes, they're just inexpensive bikes that are motored. Unless you've got 5 grand or more to spend. And most are too heavy as well. So, for me, whatever bikes I get in the future will become my e-bikes even though they don't start out that way.
Old 03-30-20, 01:18 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Family mounts...

I've got a Stromer ST-1, (until the stay at home order) daily year round commuter. I've got over 15K miles on the puppy. Stromer uses their own bespoke rear direct drive motor with regenerative braking. I've equipped it with front and rear racks, and for larger shopping trips have trailers (Burley Travoy for middle size shopping, and a Burley flatbed for big Costsco runs). Studded tires for winter use.

My wife has a Haibike (the precise model has slipped my mind). It's got a Bosch mid-drive. She doesn't ride nearly as often, so it's been pretty low mileage.

My older son has a Tern Vektron S8; it's got a Bafang M400 mid-drive. He's just getting started, we purchased the bike used. I have been pleasantly surprised at how smooth and natural the Bafang M400 is. No clue as to how reliable or long lived it's going to be, but Tern and Bafang did a better job than I expected on making a very ridable bike
Old 04-01-20, 08:40 AM
Anthony8858

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I purchased the 2019 Cannondale Quick NEO last year and love it. It's a bit heavier than I'd prefer, but easily manage to put on the roof of my car for a trek away from the city.
My GF test rode my bike and loved it so much, she wanted the new 2020 Quick Neo SL 1.. Both bikes are relatively light for an ebike.

Last edited by Anthony8858; 04-01-20 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-01-20, 09:34 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
The one I've ridden off road the past five or so years, although I ride my MTB about half the time. BBS02 in steel frame with 52V, 10 ah battery.
Old 04-01-20, 07:57 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Specialized Turbo Vado. Best ebike I’ve ever owned. I’m selling my Cannondale Trail 7 with a BBSHD I built because of this.
Old 04-01-20, 08:06 PM
Catsharp

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I was also considering test riding the Cannondale Quick Neo- Have you determined what the range is, generally?
Old 04-01-20, 08:46 PM
Anthony8858

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Catsharp
I was also considering test riding the Cannondale Quick Neo- Have you determined what the range is, generally?
Well... I really use the pedal assist on / off as needed. I leave it in Tour mode and work the various settings during the ride.. I do turn it off on flat terrain.
I found that I got about 55 miles before charging with about 25-30% left on the battery.
Love the bike.
Old 04-01-20, 08:53 PM
Catsharp

Thanks for that info- I have a Copenhagen wheel that I really really like but am interested in this one as an upgrade, also will be an overall lighter package I think. I get about 40-45 on a charge, staying in eco mode most of the time. Relatively flat here, but hella windy.
Old 04-01-20, 10:39 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
I much prefer add-on e bike kits because you can move them from one bike to another (sometimes easily, sometimes not, depending on the brand). Not a big fan of dedicated commercial e-bikes, because "most" are not great bikes, they're just inexpensive bikes that are motored. Unless you've got 5 grand or more to spend. And most are too heavy as well. So, for me, whatever bikes I get in the future will become my e-bikes even though they don't start out that way.
I don't have an e-bike at present, but I too will probably get a kit and add it to an existing bike. I will probably go for a geared rear wheel hub drive. The first one will be road legal. If I get two, the other one may be for off road. Adding a kit to a bike normally works out cheaper. It also makes it easy to replace parts if you need to. Parts on manufactured e-bikes are normally more expensive. I will probably get a spare battery.
Old 04-01-20, 11:15 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
I don't have an e-bike at present, but I too will probably get a kit and add it to an existing bike. I will probably go for a geared rear wheel hub drive. The first one will be road legal. If I get two, the other one may be for off road. Adding a kit to a bike normally works out cheaper. It also makes it easy to replace parts if you need to. Parts on manufactured e-bikes are normally more expensive. I will probably get a spare battery.
Just stick with well regarded and known brands and avoid proprietary stuff (which ends up costing a lot more down the road). You'll have fun building it and be able to deal with any issues from a standpoint of knowledge as well.
Likes For linberl:
Old 04-02-20, 03:42 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
My ebike is

My current ebike is a Blix Aveny. In the future, maybe a Yamaha Cross Connect(Commuter),Trek Verve 3+(Commuter), Electra Townie Go 8i (Weekend), Blix Sol(Weekend). Yesterday, I rode a Aventon 500 (Commuter), it rode well and can go 28 MPH, I'd look at the Aventon Level Commuter for a Commuter bike.

Last edited by alloo; 04-23-20 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-02-20, 06:59 AM
Catsharp

Originally Posted by alloo
My current ebike is a Blix Aveny. In the future, maybe a Yamaha Cross Connect,Trek Verve+, or a Electra Townie Go 8i.

nice parking area for the fleet!
Old 04-02-20, 07:05 AM
alloo

Two of the bikes are provided by the company for employees to use during business hours.
Old 04-02-20, 09:56 AM
jgjulio

Bikes: 2020 Veego 750, 2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 08 Trek 7200, Very Old Schwinn Cruiser

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I just ordered that exact bike. Same brand, model and color. Can't wait! What do you think about your Aveny?
Old 04-02-20, 07:11 PM
Catsharp

Copenhagen wheel - pure fun.
Old 04-03-20, 07:06 AM
alloo

Originally Posted by jgjulio
I just ordered that exact bike. Same brand, model and color. Can't wait! What do you think about your Aveny?
I'm in love with the bike. Very practical, affordable and has a good range than my previous 2017 Raleigh Retroglide IE. I generally use Level 3 assist during my commute ~15 MPH and I get about 3 round trips (48 Miles/day). I use the throttle at stop lights to get going. The lights work well, no issue with the derailer, very comfortable ride, and nice styling. I commute about 3-4 times a week weather permitting. I was going to buy the Electra Townie Go 8i this year, but when I looked at the cost $1499 vs $2699 I couldn't justify the value that the bike creates. At one time in my life Shimano was considered crap by the bicycle community. Over the years they have improved their product quality and range. No one ever buys a Toyota and says its not a high quality car whatever model they purchase. Most of the time, the car is just damn good from a Yaris to Lexis. Same goes for Honda, Hyundai, KIA...etc. Companies don't build crappy stuff because they're liable. The marketplace will decide.

When I got my bike, the brakes rubbed, I called and wrote Blix, took a few pictures than a replacement part came in a few days. Probably shipping damage. No issues since then. Good luck with your purchase.
Likes For alloo:
Old 04-03-20, 08:38 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
alloo, I agree with you about Shimano products. They get heavier as the price diminishes, but the performance (for me) doesn't deteriorate much. I've had XTR which was great, but the Altus on my e-MTB has been functioning extremely well for five years although I changed the cassette and chain a year or two ago.
Likes For 2old:
Old 04-03-20, 08:34 PM
MikeDD

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Specialized Turbo Levo
Old 04-03-20, 08:57 PM
Frankenbike27

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Franken bike 3
500 watt rear hub gearless, brushless motor
Old 04-04-20, 10:30 PM
alloo

Originally Posted by 2old
alloo, I agree with you about Shimano products. They get heavier as the price diminishes, but the performance (for me) doesn't deteriorate much. I've had XTR which was great, but the Altus on my e-MTB has been functioning extremely well for five years although I changed the cassette and chain a year or two ago.
The other thing is on hub drives, the drive train is doing half the work with the ebike assist. What do you care about weight?
Old 04-05-20, 07:48 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeDD
Specialized Turbo Levo
It kind of looks like Lake Shasta, near Redding CA. But then a lot of lakes look similar. What lake?
Old 04-05-20, 08:38 PM
allroader

Bikes: 2020 M2S Sport R500

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
While vacationing in Florida for the winter months I purchased in Jan an entry level M2S Sport R500 commuter. In the mid 1970's I was an avid road racing biker, purchased an ALAN record which I still have today. After many years of idle I decided to enjoy biking again. Upon arrival I found the tires too noisy so i changed out the Kenda knobbies for Schwalbe Marathons. I purchased an extra hidden battery, added better grips, softer seat, pedals, lock. I was biking everyday when I could, quite rainy this winter and racked up 200 miles. Then in March we had our gov't orders to return to Montreal asap. Now it's 4c waiting for the weather to warm up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.