Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Red light cameras.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Red light cameras.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-09, 11:03 PM
maddyfish

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
GPS speed sensors? Good luck getting that to be implemented, and unrealistic by the sheer number of vehicles. By this idea, every time you go down a hill in a car you'd have to ride the brakes to make sure you don't go over the limit. I take it you don't live in a very hilly area. Where I live it's mostly up or down, with some silly speed limits like 35mph down a 1 mile 10% grade.

I have 2 residences. One is a very hilly area. My car is equipped with brakes. GOing down a hill is no excuse to speed. Who cares if you ride your brakes?

Unrealistic? They said the same thing in 1970 about catalytic converters, and the same thing in 1980 about fuel injection, and they say that same thing now about higher CAFE standards.
Just legislate it, and let the car buyers pay for it.
Old 07-02-09, 11:06 PM
maddyfish

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Absolutely true -- a similar thing is in place here; there's a few-second delay between the red and the green for cross traffic. Drivers have learned this, and use it as an excuse to continue running reds, because they know they have that extra couple seconds.
So yellow light time should be completely random.
Old 07-03-09, 08:53 AM
kendall

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the goal was to make the roads safer, they would have a cop on each corner. Visual enforcement does a lot more to increasing safety than a camera.
Red light cameras do nothing to address other issues, someone could be drunk off their ass and incapable of driving straight, but still not fly through a red light.
A car could be stolen, thief runs a red, and the only thing they can do is say well he went through the intersection near your house a minute later.
Someone could hit a cyclist, then run a red light, but since the cyclist was hit from behind he never got the plate number, so the driver has time to go home and clean up his car.
A group of hoods assault someone and steal **********, and get away with it. Some old lady walking home has a heart attack at the corner. Some kid throws a bottle out a car window and hits a cyclist.
In all those scenarios, a police officer doing his job could have cought them. Instead, you only have evidence that someone ran a red light nearby, with nothing else to connect them to the crime.

If the goal was safety, or to reduce crime, the police would be highly visible. Instead they hide behind cameras to collect fines.

Ken.
Old 07-03-09, 09:36 AM
dhofmann

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kendall
If the goal was to make the roads safer, they would have a cop on each corner.
The red light cameras free up the police to catch criminals instead of spending time writing up red light violations.
Old 07-03-09, 10:40 AM
kendall

Bikes: too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dhofmann
The red light cameras free up the police to catch criminals instead of spending time writing up red light violations.

What I am saying is that a visible cop on the street will do more to prevent crime than all the threats of possible punishment combined.

As good as it sounds to hear that they are trying to catch criminals, Wouldn't it be better if the crime didn't happen in the first place? In most cases, if the cop was there and visible, the crime would not have occured. Have you ever noticed how much better people drive when a cop is nearby?

Most camera tickets aren't even classed as moving violations, they are treated as no more serious than a parking ticket with no points on your license. But for most people, a point on their license would do more to change their behavior than any fine. The safest driver I ever knew only became safe after reaching 10 points on his license, after that he was the best driver you would ever see.

Ken.
Old 07-03-09, 12:23 PM
Nestor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
^^^ with 26% reduction in fatalities - that is the ultimate measurement of success.

(note I said nothing about crashes in my post)

The rear end crashes are a symptom of a different problem. Speeding and tailgating. Phx now has a tailgating patrol with measuring devices.
Great. Regulation and enforcement begetting more enforcement.

See my earlier post for the least expensive, yet least revenue-generating solution.
Old 07-03-09, 12:52 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
speeding and tailgating don't increase because of the red light cameras - the enforcement need for those is independent

see article about tailgating enforcement:
https://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...lgate1204.html
Old 07-03-09, 09:28 PM
Nestor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
speeding and tailgating don't increase because of the red light cameras - the enforcement need for those is independent

see article about tailgating enforcement:
https://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...lgate1204.html
People will tailgate in dense traffic, and slamming on the brakes at 30mph in a 30mph zone at a yellow light that is intentionally kept short to generate a ticket is asking for trouble.
Old 07-03-09, 09:52 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Here there are no intersections with cameras that have intentionally short yellows. They are either 4.0 or 4.3 sec (they are published) depending on PSL. (40 or 45mph). If one drives at or below the PSL it is exceeding easy to not run a red.

Last edited by noisebeam; 07-03-09 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-03-09, 10:37 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
I figure if they didn't have the lights on the main drag sequenced so you are stopping at nearly every one, they wouldn't have as many red light runners. Then again, our government has decided against the cameras and we don't seem to have a horrible problem with it anyway.
Old 07-04-09, 12:26 AM
drew55
Daily Commuter-Tampa, FL

Bikes: Orbea Ora, Cannondale R800, old Cannondale, murry mountain bike, EZ Rider recombent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by remsav
Our city did a test run with a company taking pictures/radar from mobile unit (suv) on school zone after several accidents and they basically shot themselves down by being too effective.
So then it really becomes state indorsed speeding through a school zone. I'm sure lawyers will waste little time and have both fun and serious profit finding the city/county/state to be the one with the deepest pockets to go after even higher settlements if and when there's an accident involving someone in one of those school zones.

League of American Bicyclist LCI 3144
♥♥ Please support riders if you can ♥♥
Old 07-05-09, 12:05 AM
alhedges

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Red light cameras can be an effective tool to enhance safety. Or they can enhance revenue while doing little for safety. It all depends on how they are used.

Typically red light cameras are not installed and manned by municipalities. Instead, a private company approaches the municipality and offers to install the red light cameras for free, man them (or reimburse LE for manning them, and pay the municipality some amount of money per year (say $200,000). In exchange, the company gets to keep the money generated by the cameras.

Initially, things went about as you might imagine under these circumstances: the companies installed cameras not in the most dangerous intersections, but in intersections where people were more likely to run red lights. In some cases, the companies even shortened the yellow lights.

This situation was unsatisfactory to everyone but the company involved, obviously.

Since those early days, municipalities (or the state government) has imposed stricter requirements on red light cameras - by requiring that the lights only be installed at the most collision prone intersections, for example, and prohibiting reducing the yellow (or, in some cases, requiring that the yellow be 5 seconds, either on all lights or on lights with red light cameras).

Under these circumstances, red light cameras have resulted in measurably fewer injuries (as noted above, rear-end collisions are much less serious than T collisions that are generally the type of collision resulting from running a red light).

But, yeah, eventually people are going to stop running red lights. Which is not ideal if you are a company whose revenue comes from people running red lights. Although it is otherwise an almost unmitigated good...
Old 07-06-09, 01:09 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dhofmann
Are you really saying that going down a hill is a good reason to exceed the speed limit?

You don't necessarily have to ride the brakes. I just turn off the overdrive. People with manual transmissions only have to shift into a lower gear.
You don't drive in the mountains much? Engine braking often isn't very effective. My efficient little 4-banger is very limited in its engine braking ability on modest slopes. "Speed limits" are nonsense anyhow. Safety is the ultimate guideline, not little numbers painted on signs.
Old 07-06-09, 01:31 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What I am saying is that a visible cop on the street will do more to prevent crime than all the threats of possible punishment combined.

As good as it sounds to hear that they are trying to catch criminals, Wouldn't it be better if the crime didn't happen in the first place? In most cases, if the cop was there and visible, the crime would not have occurred. Have you ever noticed how much better people drive when a cop is nearby?
Which is evidenced by how motorists will slow down when there is a decoy car in an area with a high rate of speeding or what have you. They'll see the car and not know if it's a dummy behind the wheel with the radar gun or a real cop and slow down.

Most camera tickets aren't even classed as moving violations, they are treated as no more serious than a parking ticket with no points on your license. But for most people, a point on their license would do more to change their behavior than any fine. The safest driver I ever knew only became safe after reaching 10 points on his license, after that he was the best driver you would ever see.

Ken.
Would a red light camera pick up a cyclist running a red light? If it did how would the police notify the offender?
Old 07-06-09, 01:33 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I figure if they didn't have the lights on the main drag sequenced so you are stopping at nearly every one, they wouldn't have as many red light runners. Then again, our government has decided against the cameras and we don't seem to have a horrible problem with it anyway.
If one is hitting "every" light while it is red, that suggests that they are timed with traffic at a specific speed and the person(s) hitting them all while red is NOT driving the posted speed limit.
Old 07-06-09, 02:17 PM
Alox
Perma-clyde

Bikes: '05 Stumpy FSR 120, REK TEK Blitzkreig (Commuter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These should be standard equipment at any intersection with push-button signals for cyclists and pedestrians. I see a lot more drivers running reds when I am biking, than I do when I am driving. I think that drivers are more likely to run a red if they don't think that 'real' traffic will be coming at them through the intersection.

Also, this might be a bit hard to do in jurisdictions where license plates are only required on the rear of vehicles, but the cameras should photograph the cabin / driver of the vehicle, and fines should be doubled for drivers who run reds while on cellphones, texting, coddling pets, etc.

Currently my jurisdiction (British Columbia Canada) has red light cameras at major "high incident" intersections, but for some reason, the cameras are only turned on occasionally.
Old 07-06-09, 05:06 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Twice I have been waiting in court for the civil calendar to be called and they were going through the camera tickets. Both times 2 or 3 people were in on their third photo red light run. The fines were close to $1,000.00 and the DMV would be suspending their licenses for a year. One time the judge said; "looks like it'll take a bus pass to slow you down". He's right.

Bottom line; the cameras are weeding out the chronically bad drivers and getting them into suspended license situations. bk

Last edited by bkaapcke; 07-06-09 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-06-09, 08:41 PM
alhedges

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Ken.
This is true. But cops are very expensive.
Old 07-06-09, 09:02 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
If one is hitting "every" light while it is red, that suggests that they are timed with traffic at a specific speed and the person(s) hitting them all while red is NOT driving the posted speed limit.
If you think about what you've written, there is an assumption of rationality at the basis of your statement. Rationality is not a given, and not in evidence. I'm bike commuting now, so I can't tell you if the light timing is still the same as it was when I was driving more. But I would vary my speeds to try to figure out how to hit the lights when they are green. So far, the only people I've seen hit many lights in a row were going faster than I'm willing to drive on a busy street in city limits. There were a series of lights that you could hit on green if you went exactly the speed limit. That lasted a couple of months, then they changed it for some unfathomable reason. Too many people doing the speed limit I suppose.

On my end of town, the road is too big for the traffic it sees, and they really aren't causing any significant problems by using the traffic lights for "traffic calming." Except I believe that it drives people onto side streets where they can run stop signs without penalty. On the other end of town, I see a lot of people that have been driven nuts by the traffic light timing. Traffic is constantly jammed up from early in the afternoon until late. There are a number of side streets that trip the lights immediately even though the side street sees 1/1000th of the main drag traffic volume. I expect they are going to be driven to make some kind of road improvements even though they are causing the problems with the light timing.
Old 07-06-09, 09:31 PM
Ed Holland
8speed DinoSORAs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One idea of mine fpr major routes was to have the next red light automatically triggered by any speeding vehicle(s) with warnings to that going too fast is just going to slow you down. Unfortunately I think the psychology involved is too subtle, even though everyone stopped at the next light would know who was responible...
Old 07-07-09, 10:19 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GodsBassist
Safety numbers aside, and I don't particularly trust the IIHS to be a neutral source of information regarding a system designed to give out traffic tickets, the fact that most communities put up and take down these things based on money and not safety kind of makes the whole safety argument a bunch of hot air.
Skepticism is generally a good thing. And I think it is well placed here since I know little about the IIHS.

I thought that generally people do not get points for tickets issued by red light cameras. If that is true, what would the bias source be for the IIHS?
Old 07-07-09, 10:22 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by maddyfish
So yellow light time should be completely random.
I don't know if you are serious, but it is an interesting thought.
Old 07-07-09, 11:46 AM
Alox
Perma-clyde

Bikes: '05 Stumpy FSR 120, REK TEK Blitzkreig (Commuter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw a red runner on my ride in today. I rode up to the light, and activated the button to cross a four-lane (major arterial) road. A driver (the only driver) approaching the intersection was about 250 metres away from the light when he saw it turn yellow, and actually sped up to try to beat the red.

He lost the race; the light turned red for him (and green for me) about 2 seconds before he arrived at the intersection, but he went right through the intersection - despite the light being red - and travelling at more than twice the speed limit (about 120km/h in a 50km/h zone), giving me "the finger" in response to my protest as he went on his way.

I see a lot of this type of behaviour at this particular intersection and I think that a red light camera would do a lot of good to identify these kinds of reckless drivers, and either get them off the streets, or make them pay for the risks they cause for other road users. Photos, fines and points.
Old 07-07-09, 01:20 PM
StrangeWill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Longer yellow does not lead to fewer collisions over time. Drivers adapt to the longer yellow and use it.
As a motorist, I agree.

I just pay some bloody attention, it's not that hard to not blow red lights.

Yellows just need to be a standard duration per 5mph of speed limit on the road or something, for safe stopping and all.

Originally Posted by Alox
I saw a red runner on my ride in today. I rode up to the light, and activated the button to cross a four-lane (major arterial) road. A driver (the only driver) approaching the intersection was about 250 metres away from the light when he saw it turn yellow, and actually sped up to try to beat the red.

He lost the race; the light turned red for him (and green for me) about 2 seconds before he arrived at the intersection, but he went right through the intersection - despite the light being red - and travelling at more than twice the speed limit (about 120km/h in a 50km/h zone), giving me "the finger" in response to my protest as he went on his way.

I see a lot of this type of behaviour at this particular intersection and I think that a red light camera would do a lot of good to identify these kinds of reckless drivers, and either get them off the streets, or make them pay for the risks they cause for other road users. Photos, fines and points.
If I had total disregard for my safety, I'd actually jump out into the intersection with my car as soon as it snaps green, just to watch him lock them up and slide through the intersection. I really really hate red light runners.

Last edited by StrangeWill; 07-07-09 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-07-09, 01:28 PM
StrangeWill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bkrownd
You don't drive in the mountains much? Engine braking often isn't very effective. My efficient little 4-banger is very limited in its engine braking ability on modest slopes. "Speed limits" are nonsense anyhow. Safety is the ultimate guideline, not little numbers painted on signs.
Agreed here, a real driving course and test required for a license would work MUCH better than just making everyone obey the speed limit but still be completely incompetent in any situation other than nice dry straight asphalt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.