Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's Your Worst "Loss" While Riding?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's Your Worst "Loss" While Riding?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-19, 06:49 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
New pair of shoes.

Once on vacation I returned to my car at a county park after a ride. Put a new pair of Sidi shoes on bumper for safe keeping while I loaded bike into car and changed into street shoes. The next morning as I was getting ready to ride I realised my shoes were not in car. Drove back to park but couldn't find shoes. So for 2nd time in a month had to buy a new pair of Sidi Mega road shoes. Silver lining, original shoes were a little big, so I ordered a half size smaller which has served me well for 9 years.
Likes For Pridedog:
Old 10-06-19, 09:24 PM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Oh, yeah, one time I was taking a shortcut and didn't notice a rope across the road in time. I went half - under and landed on my back, shattering an original Belt Beacon lens. This is shading off into a funny accident thread. Anybody want to start?
Old 10-06-19, 10:30 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,076 Posts
My brevet card, at the penultimate control on my first 600k.

We had a pirate (unregistered) rider on the ride, refusing requests to leave us, incessantly trash talking the club. I suspect he snatched my card from my table at McDs.
Old 10-08-19, 09:11 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Oh, I lost my lunch, er dinner.

Touring cross country BITD, Canadian summer youth hostels- Banff. Big pot of stew for dinner.

Sick for 2+ days, lying in the tent, & periodically puking out the front, which the ground squirrels would later eat.
Old 10-09-19, 06:39 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
I lost my passport while cycling in Milan. I had to go to the consulate to get it replaced. When I realized it was gone I went and re-rode the entire route, which was difficult because I wasn't following any route to begin with, just taking streets that looked to be OK to ride. And trust me, you can't just ride on any street there, and I'm saying this being a New Yorker that rides down the middle of Times Square without giving it a thought. Between the trams and the cobblestones with the tracks, you really need to be careful in Milan.

This reminds me that I need to send my temporary passport in to get a new one

Last edited by zacster; 10-09-19 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-09-19, 07:08 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I lost a $20 bill once, went right out my jersey pocket while I was getting a clif bar, I suspect. Later that same year I lost a $120 pocket knife through a hole in my front pocket. Then to cap it off my saddle bag fell off around Christmas and ended up costing around $90 to replace all the contents. 2016 was a tough year, financially.
I lost a saddle bag during a fast descent. I didn’t notice that I had lost it until I got a flat a few miles later and...no spare inner tube!

I had to make “the call” to get bailed out.
Old 10-09-19, 10:23 AM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
I was trackstanding at a stop sign yesterday, waiting for a car to continue through the intersection. They decided to stop and wave me through and I flailed and fell over clipped in. Scratched my rear derailleur and brake lever.

Last year, I smashed into an unseen pothole and broke a spoke, my wheel and my chainstay on my one of one Cyclops Stealth steel roadbike. That really sucked.
Old 10-09-19, 11:05 AM
SkepTeach

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GnipGnop
I was trackstanding at a stop sign yesterday, waiting for a car to continue through the intersection. They decided to stop and wave me through and I flailed and fell over clipped in. Scratched my rear derailleur and brake lever.
I get that people try to be polite sometimes, but seriously, it would be so much safer for all involved if drivers would just follow normal traffic laws around cyclists. I can't tell you how many times I've very nearly done the same thing, especially when I first started clipping in.
Likes For SkepTeach:
Old 10-09-19, 11:11 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I would feel like a complete flailure if that happened to me, especially in heavy traffic.
Old 10-10-19, 07:54 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
An Avocet computer back in the 1980s, must have been one of their first models.

I'd just ridden a club 10 one evening, and unclipped the computer, putting it on the roof while I took the bike apart and stowed it in the back of the car. It was still on the roof when I drove off, wasn't on the roof when I got home though.

I was quite displeased about this - from memory the computer cost me more than the car I put it on.
Old 10-10-19, 08:28 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
A 20 yr old Buck lock blade [3"] knife with sheath. We had history.
Old 10-10-19, 08:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18406 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPatTyke
It was still on the roof when I drove off, wasn't on the roof when I got home though.
I did something very similar back in the day. Took off the computer, laid it on the roof and put the bike on the roof rack. Got about 4 blocks where I heard something bounce down the rear window and trunk. Took me about 5 second to realize it must have been the computer. After searching under parked cars I found the unit but not the battery cover, so it was a total loss.
Old 10-10-19, 09:07 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I too have lost those rear blinkies.
Me as well. I liked them, but they did come off easily. Those and some waterbottles are probably most of my losses so far. Well, I have lost a couple of single gloves and an arm warmer, but those losses were all at home. At least they must have been because I have a lot of things that I can't find the match for even though I remember wearing both of them home the last time I rode with them.
Old 10-10-19, 01:45 PM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I would feel like a complete flailure if that happened to me, especially in heavy traffic.

Hahaha i did for a split second. Luckily, I don't let these sorts of things bother me. Too much.
Old 10-10-19, 01:47 PM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I too have lost those rear blinkies.

That's how I got my rear light. Saw a red blinking light from afar in a ditch. Pulled over and pocketed a nice Bontrager rear light.
Old 03-15-20, 11:56 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I cracked a phone and probably bruised some ribs in the same crash about 2 years ago.
Hmm, on second thought yeah, I've done that too. I was on my mountain bike and failed to get up a very short but exceedingly steep little rise when my tire spun out and I lost all my speed and fell over sideways. My cell phone was in my shorts pocket, and I landed with the phone directly between my leg and a rounded boulder that absolutely crushed the phone. To date the only phone I've ever converted to the "SpiderMan Edition", knock on wood.