Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy a MTB (Trail or All-Mountain). Any suggestions?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-19, 07:35 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts

Hey guys,

So long story short, I am a road cyclist who's looking to start mountain biking next year. It's been almost 10 years since I haven't used a MTB and the industry evolved so much that I am kind of lost. When I was a teenager, Norco was my favourite brand, but I'm not quite sure if they are ''still in the game'' or not.

I plan on doing trails mostly, but also trying downhill. I currently have a Giant race bike that I like very much so I am also considering buying a Giant. I know I'd get more bang for the buck going with this company.

-Giant Trance (preferably over the Stance)
-Giant Stance
-Norco Optic
-Norco Fluid

In terms of budget, I'd like to stay reasonable - let's say 2000$ max for an AL bike that's on sale. I'll get the expensive one in a few years if I like it - just like I did when I started road biking.

Any thoughts? Any other brand/models to suggest that would suit my needs?

Last edited by eduskator; 11-05-19 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-05-19, 08:25 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Hey guys,

So long story short, I am a road cyclist who's looking to start mountain biking next year. It's been almost 10 years since I haven't used a MTB and the industry evolved so much that I am kind of lost. When I was a teenager, Norco was my favourite brand, but I'm not quite sure if they are ''still in the game'' or not.

I plan on doing trails mostly, but also trying downhill. I currently have a Giant race bike that I like very much so I am also considering buying a Giant. I know I'd get more bang for the buck going with this company.

-Giant Trance (preferably over the Stance)
-Giant Stance
-Norco Optic
-Norco Fluid

In terms of budget, I'd like to stay reasonable - let's say 2000$ max for an AL bike that's on sale. I'll get the expensive one in a few years if I like it - just like I did when I started road biking.

Any thoughts? Any other brand/models to suggest that would suit my needs?
$2K is not much for a new FS trail/AM bike, so you will be somewhat at the mercy of what is on sale from last year.

Of the two Giants I would go with the Trance if you want to dabble in some DH. I think 140mm is a good do-it-all target.
Old 11-05-19, 01:59 PM
eduskator

Originally Posted by Kapusta
$2K is not much for a new FS trail/AM bike, so you will be somewhat at the mercy of what is on sale from last year.

Of the two Giants I would go with the Trance if you want to dabble in some DH. I think 140mm is a good do-it-all target.
Thanks for your input. I'd buy the leftovers indeed It's the only way to get my hands on a decent bike without spending much.
Old 11-05-19, 02:01 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
The Trance is a great bike for the the money, definitely a price leader
Also consider the following, some are direct to consumer so, it will be harder to find a demo.
YT Jeffsy https://www.yt-industries.com/en/cat.../sCategory/509

others to consider if on sale
Rocky Mountain Instinct
Kona Process
Old 11-05-19, 03:15 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Out of the bikes you lasted, the 2020 Giant Trance is the best bang for your dollar. For downhill, make sure you get a bike with a dropper post.
Old 11-05-19, 08:55 PM
SoreFeet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Buy used...find somebody who bought the wrong size, or just find somebody who bought it and didn't use it. Theres no sense in paying 2k for something that's just going to depreciate in value when you can get it already depreciated in pristine condition, just saying

Better yet pay the full 2k and get a used bike that was 3-4k...keep hunting. If it fits good, and the wheels aren't worn go for it.
Old 11-06-19, 07:52 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by SoreFeet
Buy used...find somebody who bought the wrong size, or just find somebody who bought it and didn't use it. Theres no sense in paying 2k for something that's just going to depreciate in value when you can get it already depreciated in pristine condition, just saying

Better yet pay the full 2k and get a used bike that was 3-4k...keep hunting. If it fits good, and the wheels aren't worn go for it.
Good point. The problem is that I need an XL, which is kind of rare on the used market. The average MTBiker is not that tall

Will take a closer look at the Trance. I think my LBS has some 2019s left.
Old 11-06-19, 10:51 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
For a few years lots of people were buying XL frames because they wanted longer reach and the bike companies were playing catch-up. Compare for example the evolution of Ibis's Mojo HD series. So it's not that unlikely.

It's not that easy* to find a year-old MTB for a price that seems like a good deal.

* unless you are in the Bay Area
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-07-19, 06:48 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
For a few years lots of people were buying XL frames because they wanted longer reach and the bike companies were playing catch-up. Compare for example the evolution of Ibis's Mojo HD series. So it's not that unlikely.

It's not that easy* to find a year-old MTB for a price that seems like a good deal.

* unless you are in the Bay Area
Thanks for the info. I should visit San Francisco, but I live a little far from there!

It's definitively a good time of year to get a deal on the used market. However, I am always reluctant when it comes to buying products that were used for years, especially mountain bikes who have a rough life (but hey, that's what they're meant for!).

I found a 2014 Trance Advanced SX going for 2500$ (60% the MSRP price of 6400$) - CND Currency. I find it a little expensive for a 6 year old bike. Not convinced that it's that much of a good deal.

Last edited by eduskator; 11-07-19 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-07-19, 06:42 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Thanks for the info. I should visit San Francisco, but I live a little far from there!

It's definitively a good time of year to get a deal on the used market. However, I am always reluctant when it comes to buying products that were used for years, especially mountain bikes who have a rough life (but hey, that's what they're meant for!).

I found a 2014 Trance Advanced SX going for 2500$ (60% the MSRP price of 6400$) - CND Currency. I find it a little expensive for a 6 year old bike. Not convinced that it's that much of a good deal.
You're right, lots of change. 3-4 yo bikes are starting to get dated. I'd look for 2018 or newer for the current trends
Old 11-08-19, 06:42 AM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts

I think that 2500$ is very high for 6 year old bike. Id much go with the new 2020 Trance a $2,000.00.
Old 11-14-19, 06:31 PM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have a Stance, good bike but not great, and not up-gradable at all. Trance is better and very up=gradable. I say go with a new base model Trance and up grade as you get better and wear parts out.
Old 12-19-19, 07:46 PM
abone

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Nishiki Superbe, Dahon MU P8 folder, Dahon Mariner D8, Xootr Swift

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I just went through this same process, am 64 years old, haven't mountain biked in years. Am fit, but not MTB kind of fit.. yet. Started off looking at hard-tails, then migrated to full suspension. Like you OP, getting back into MTB, I was totally confused. XC, Enduro, Trail, All Mountain. Yikes! Give me my old non suspension steel bike back. I almost bought a used Specialized Rockhopper but read, and read more, and watched videos, and more videos on YT...kept coming back to a new FS. I live in the Vancouver B.C. area, mountain biking Mecca. Used was fairly pricey for bikes that are a few years old, so decided on new.

My minimum criteria was, upgradable frame, 1x12 drivetrain, thru (and boost) axles, 29" wheels, dropper 30.9mm seat post, and decent brakes.

I have two bike stores I deal with, both are great. One is a Norco dealer, the other Giant. Because I deal with both stores, I decided Norco or Giant.
Then I had to decide between XC and Trail. The Giant Anthem 29 2 XC had no dropper, and was a 27.2mm seat post. I also believe the frame design is due for an update.
I ended up buying a 2020 Giant Trance 29 3. There were some 2019's kicking around at 15% off, but only in carbon and it was more than I wanted to spend. Got a good deal on a 2020 so I am happy.
The Norco Fluid 3 was another bike I looked at, less $$'s but heavier and lesser components, and didn't care for Tektro brakes. Preferred the geometry on the Giant too.
I chose the Trance because, as a previous poster said, very upgradable, has thru axles, had a dropper post (30.9mm size) and has pretty decent components for a starter MTB bike. And a great frame.
Also, after much humming and hawing, decided the Trance 29er geometry could do both XC and downhill (that wasn't too crazy). YT videos and reviews supported that too.

Last edited by abone; 12-19-19 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-20-19, 10:35 AM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
while I haven't ridden it yet I just bought a Fazzari Abajo Peak 1x12 Sram NX drivetrain(sram dub nx crankset as well) Sram level brakes X-Fusion shock and fork with 140 travel in front and 130 travel in rear. It didn't come with dropper but I added it to the purchase. Its roughly in your price point and I've seen a few reviews that seemed to like the bike. It has Maxxas Minion DHF 2.5 and DHR 2.4 tires. Mine came setup tubeless as an upgrade. the frame sizing and sizing specs come from your measurements you give to them when you order. They are a direct to consumer brand but they offer 30 day like it or return it guarantee. I was looking at YT as well. hope to get to ride it soon.