Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

A forced lay off

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

A forced lay off

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-19, 08:07 PM
kq2dc7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
A forced lay off

Due to an accident on the local mountain bike trail that resulted in a broken wrist. I will not be able to ride a bike for 6 weeks. The big question is how much will this set me back as far as condition and endurance goes. I'm a 57 year old that hadn't rode a bike 42 years prior to last year. Since then I've been on the bike 5 to 6 days a week. I really don't want to start over.
Old 11-07-19, 08:13 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
oh man, that stinks! best of luck. my Wife broke her wrist crashing her bike then needed carpal tunnel release surgery on the same hand. but a year later she was riding again! be a good patient
Old 11-07-19, 09:26 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Bad news. Hope you heal quickly. How about a trainer? Like a fluid rear wheel one.
Old 11-07-19, 10:17 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Bikes: 2015 Kona Process 153

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
It will come back sooner than you think. I am going to assume you can't bare any weight on it, so a stationary bike won't be an option. Could you still run? Or will the vibration not feel great? Might be a good way to retain some of your cardio. I broke my ankle in June which really put a damper on things. My best advice would be to watch your diet a bit more closely. I forgot about that when I was posted up on the couch for 3 months.
Old 11-07-19, 10:38 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Walk, walk, walk. If you are a runner then do that. Walking is a form of cardio so keep in mind how much calories you were using bicycling and try to replace them with your walking/running. WannaGetGood has very good advice about watching your eating if you really can't replace all the exercise calories. Depression can be a part of an incident like this so some counseling with a nutritionist or therapist might help your general demeanor. I'm 66 and sold my last true MTB a couple of years ago because I acknowledged the inherent dangers of MTB activity and decided to stick to gravel and road riding. All bicycling has danger but MTB heightens this risk to a degree. Good luck with your healing process.
Old 11-07-19, 11:04 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
As others have said do other forms of cardio.
Also if you have a gym, good time to put in some leg workouts like hack squats and leg curls
This year, I've lost 2 months to a torn finger tendon, 3 months to cracked ribs and now been off for 2 weeks with grade 3 strain on my lower back. Gained about 10 pounds and can't wait to get on a bike. ugh, I hear you, heal up soon
Old 11-08-19, 12:06 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Broke the 5th metacarpal in my right hand two years ago. Was not about to get off the bike for 6+ weeks. Bolted the bike into the trainer, put in ~500 miles on Zwift. Built a "bench" that rest over the handlebars so I could rest my forearms on it.

People suggesting walking, etc... I don't think have lived with a break in an extremity. The weight of the cast almost drove me mad. I still don't have full strength back in the hand. So OP-- I truly feel your pain.
Old 11-08-19, 06:18 AM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Sorry to hear about your injury. I wish you a speedy recovery. Hit the treadmill at the local Gym. Work on HIIT (high intensity interval training). That will help you keep in shape.
Old 11-08-19, 06:38 AM
kq2dc7

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll be walking a lot the next month or so. First destination will be the place were the accident occurred.