Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

complete bikes ....?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

complete bikes ....?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-14, 07:16 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
They are in New Jersey. I have no intention of going state by state, but I'd be willing to make a bet that a bell is required in the US. Go to any state's DOT bicycle site and read what is required.

It would appear bells are mandatory on bikes, the fiercely independent nature of my fellow Americans notwithstanding.

Biking in New Jersey, Regulations, Commuter Information
You are misreading the regulation. The section from the New Jersey vehicle code

39:4-11 Audible Signal.
A bicycle must be equipped with a bell or other audible device that can be heard at least 100 feet away, but not a siren or whistle.
is similar to Colorado code

A person riding a bicycle or electrical assisted bicycle upon and along a sidewalk or pathway or across a roadway upon and along a crosswalk shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian and shall give an audible signal before overtaking and passing such pedestrian.
An audible signal can be either a bell or voice in my state. I suspect that the language is part of the US Uniform Vehicle Code but I don't want to go wade through that document. Personally, I find saying "On your left" to be more useful than a bell.

Other nations have other regulations as Machka pointed out.

And if you want a titanium bell for your bike look to King Cages in Colorado. You can use it as a shot glass as well.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-18-14, 07:26 AM
DBA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gee....bike stores stocking what sells. Whodda thunkit?
Old 07-18-14, 08:01 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
IMO there is room for both options ... or more specifically, a range of options ... from a fully equipped, set up bicycle a person can buy and ride away >>>>>>>>> to all the bits and pieces which make up a bicycle.

There's nothing wrong with either end of the scale or anywhere in between, it just depends what the cyclist wants and what the cyclist feels comfortable with.

A non-mechanically inclined cyclist might want a fully equipped, set up bicycle he/she can just ride away.
A more mechanically inclined cyclist might want to build up his/her bicycle.

And I suspect that each shop, wherever the shop is located, makes some attempt to cater to the desires of potential customers in the area.
Old 07-18-14, 09:16 AM
Dave Horne

Bikes: Van Nicholas (Titanium) Deveron, Pinion 18 speed, Gates belt, disc brakes; Brompton - 5 speed Sturmey-Archer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rider_1
I'm not American. I believe I said "North America" for that exact reason.

Can you please clarify your point, because I am confused. We also have laws that require such safety features, so why are you acting like we don't? This and your other thread are quickly starting to sound like a slap at Americans, as many ex-pats like to do.
I was responding to the individual who contradicted my comment about bells being mandatory.

Now I learn that the human voice could be considered a device. I wouldn't have interpreted the law that way, but for me the issue is really not one I wish to spend my time on.

Again, I initiated this thread after first responding to another thread and then deleting my message as I thought it better to start a new thread. My initial post was simply that the overwhelming majority of bikes here in the Netherlands are sold complete. Racing bikes probably wouldn't have lights for the weight issue; they probably wouldn't be sold with lights (though if you bike at night, you need to be seen, thus lights are mandatory).

What I didn't write in this thread, I'll write now which may give you an idea of my history regarding bikes.

I bought a bike 30 or 35 years ago when I lived in the US. There wasn't much in the way of choice then and I bought a 10 speed (I think) racing style bike. I never really biked all that much, the primary reason was neck pain. I moved here 20 years ago and saw a predominance of upright bikes ... and there were so many models from which to choose. I initially settled on a second hand three speed which served me well for a few years.

As time went on I would trade one bike in and buy another. It wasn't always a trade up though. I've bought bikes simply because of the design. Overall though, I never had any neck pain from sitting in a more upright position. There was a definite lack of choice for me in the US 30 years ago. I know the situation has improved somewhat but not to the extent of what I see offered in Holland, Germany, Belgium, or Denmark.
Old 07-18-14, 09:22 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Ugh, this thread topic was lame last month and it's lame this month. Maybe it will work out for you in August.
Old 07-18-14, 11:15 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
And I suspect that each shop, wherever the shop is located, makes some attempt to cater to the desires of potential customers in the area.
Originally Posted by DBA
Gee....bike stores stocking what sells. Whodda thunkit?
Bike stores and online sources can't sell what they can't/won't offer to the customer, such as relatively inexpensive bicycles. It is obvious that the remaining number of the dwindling US independent bicycle retailers choose to specialize in selling bicycling and accessories to the niche market of enthusiasts and the well heeled consumer. They can thank goodness for their repair business which the online and big box stores do not offer.

It might be easier for a customer to find a fancy coffee being served up at a bicycle retail store then a ready to ride bicycle equipped for commuting/going to school/casual cycling.
Bike shops: The new Starbucks? - MarketWatch
Old 07-18-14, 11:32 AM
DBA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Bike stores and online sources can't sell what they can't/won't offer to the customer, such as relatively inexpensive bicycles. It is obvious that the remaining number of the dwindling US independent bicycle retailers choose to specialize in selling bicycling and accessories to the niche market of enthusiasts and the well heeled consumer. They can thank goodness for their repair business which the online and big box stores do not offer.

It might be easier for a customer to find a fancy coffee being served up at a bicycle retail store then a ready to ride bicycle equipped for commuting/going to school/casual cycling.
Bike shops: The new Starbucks? - MarketWatch
I'll go with what I stated, since I've talked to several LBS owners....they carry what people ask for, at least in this area. People here simply don't want the fully loaded bike. The majority of customers are fair weather riders and have no real need for fenders. Lights? Why? They aren't going too be riding after 6pm. That's dinner time. Locks? Again, what for? The bikes will be stored hanging from the rafters iin the garage or basement....both of which will be closed off from public access.
Old 07-18-14, 11:36 AM
umazuki

Bikes: Crossrip Elite, Bikesdirect tarck bike custom build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So BikeForums, I was thinking about bicycles and the riding of them. Other people ride bikes differently than I do. If there weren't so many options, maybe this wouldn't happen. There's no question here, just an observation.
Old 07-18-14, 02:26 PM
Dave Horne

Bikes: Van Nicholas (Titanium) Deveron, Pinion 18 speed, Gates belt, disc brakes; Brompton - 5 speed Sturmey-Archer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RPK79
Ugh, this thread topic was lame last month and it's lame this month. Maybe it will work out for you in August.
I took a look at the viewer count for that lame post from last month, 1450+ views.

I'll try harder. My apologies.
Old 07-18-14, 02:32 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
I took a look at the viewer count for that lame post from last month, 1450+ views.

I'll try harder. My apologies.
1450, eh?

This completely pointless thread here https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...-technium.html has over 13,000.
Old 07-18-14, 02:39 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Yep, this thread is a re-tread of last month's thread by the same OP, in which he asked,

My impression at that time, I saw mostly mountain bikes and racing bikes. It seems that most bikes came mostly bare ... mud guards, lights, etc. were add ons.
Simple answer is still the same. different market, different use for the product. The shops will stock what sells and not stock what doesn't sell. Good luck with next month's thread, which you can entitle, "Why don't US bikes come with built-in lights and fenders?"
Old 07-18-14, 03:06 PM
likebike23
Rides Majestic

Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You can easily get a "complete" bike in the US. It's as simple as buying an incomplete bike and adding whatever accessories you want.
Old 07-18-14, 05:28 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bells used to be required in DC,but that was repealed back in Jan. Of course,according to some folks,we're not actually part of the US.

Sorry, New Hampshire Doesn't Have To Accept Your D.C. Driver's License: DCist
Yet Another TSA Agent Questions Legitimacy Of A D.C. Driver's License: DCist

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 07-18-14, 06:50 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
It came equipped as you see it (other than the water bottle). So, yes, they are available; people just don't buy many of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Gotham.jpg (83.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-18-14, 07:12 PM
John Redcorn

Bikes: Crosstrail Disc

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
It came equipped as you see it (other than the water bottle). So, yes, they are available; people just don't buy many of them.
What is the yellow thing behind? Trying to understand what my eyes are seeing but can't.

edit: never mind can see the chainring and a crankarm now, it's a bent, not used to getting a good look at one, never seen one that tall and didn't think the chainrings are that close to the handlebar.

Last edited by John Redcorn; 07-18-14 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-19-14, 09:56 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Several years ago, I emailed a major manufacturer about having a bicycle with fenders etc. They finally did and later the model disappeared. It looks like a demand issue in North America. Mec.ca has Ghost bicycles though.
Old 07-19-14, 03:57 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by DBA
I'll go with what I stated, since I've talked to several LBS owners....they carry what people ask for, at least in this area. People here simply don't want the fully loaded bike.
Reminds me of the car dealers and manufacturers in the U.S. who refused to recognize any demand (starting in the late 50's) for small cars, later small pickups, and later yet smaller cars that had better than bare bones appointments. The refrain heard, while first VW, and later the Japanese cleaned their clocks, was We don't make or sell 'em because nobody wants 'em, all real car/pickup owners buy what we want to make or sell.
Old 07-20-14, 02:57 PM
DBA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Reminds me of the car dealers and manufacturers in the U.S. who refused to recognize any demand (starting in the late 50's) for small cars, later small pickups, and later yet smaller cars that had better than bare bones appointments. The refrain heard, while first VW, and later the Japanese cleaned their clocks, was We don't make or sell 'em because nobody wants 'em, all real car/pickup owners buy what we want to make or sell.
yes, ignore the phrase "they carry what people ask for,". Makes it easy to argue your point.
Old 07-20-14, 04:06 PM
Dave Horne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DBA
yes, ignore the phrase "they carry what people ask for,". Makes it easy to argue your point.
Even though English is my first language, I fail to understand what I'm reading. I'll attribute that to my several glasses of wine.
Old 07-21-14, 12:26 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Dave Horne,

perhaps Pon Holdings would be familiar to you from Nederland. Their ownership of Derby Cycles and in particular that web site gives the North Americans some idea of what's going on in the Continent.

DERBY CYCLE bewegt: Unternehmen

What draws me to Pon Holdings is that it purchased Cervelo a while ago.
Old 07-21-14, 02:23 PM
Dave Horne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Dave Horne,

perhaps Pon Holdings would be familiar to you from Nederland. Their ownership of Derby Cycles and in particular that web site gives the North Americans some idea of what's going on in the Continent.

DERBY CYCLE bewegt: Unternehmen

What draws me to Pon Holdings is that it purchased Cervelo a while ago.
I own a VW Caddy and they are the VW importer for the Netherlands. They also own Gazelle (as I learned from their web site), one of the two top Dutch bike brands.

Last edited by Dave Horne; 07-21-14 at 02:30 PM.