Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

fs: Miyata OneThousand '84 - bodged

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-23, 07:24 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 250 Posts

IT'S A 1980 FRAME & FORK!!! -- i can't update the title..... maybe a new advert next bump.

Miyata OneThousand (1980) $500 (plus shipping, but I’m always open to offers)

-lugged steel frame set: $100— with all the stuff you see included: $500 (i guess.... i gotta a lot of parts I'd like to keep for a spring project...)

Frame Size: 56cm ST (ctc); 55cm TT (ctc); 44cm chainstay; 102cm wheelbase
Rear hub spacing is 120mm

Seat: Books B17 Brown (like this seat a lot..)
Seatpost: Laprada (SR? Sakae?)

Bars: V-O Tourist (I like these. Not sure I want them sold…)
Stem: SOMA Sutra shiny

Brakes: Dia Comp levers; Shimano cantilevers- might switch them to Dia Comp. I'll update this bit if I get them switched to the Dia Comp canits.

Crankset: Sugino 170mm single (thinking I want this for my spring project..... this whole advert is not going well. keep reading, it gets worse)

Wheelset: 700c ( built this wheelset myself, so you're getting some real "me" quality there, buddy)
  • Sturmy-Archer 2 speed kick back hub
  • Malliard front hub
  • 36 spoke CR-18 rims
Tires: 700c X 32mm Panaracer Gravelking slicks (brand new! .... i mean like, 30 miles or so new... brand new...) (measure 29mm on these rims)- not shown in these pics

I don’t really want to sell the bike. It’s a smidge small. But canti brakes. Rack bosses. Lugged frame. It’s really nice. I painted the frame and fork, in case you couldn't tell by the non-stock paint job. It's not a pro-paint job, so if you're looking to build up something nice with custom paint, this might be your project fame. The headtube sticker says "Detroit Bikes" - it's not a Detroit Bikes bike. It's a Miyata. I have the original head badge on my work bench. It's a rubbery plastic kind of deal that's all black. Maybe it was painted 20 years ago. Not sure. I picked up the frameset from OddJob a few years ago. I think he's off the forum now. Probably found his sanity and cleared out his collection before the vintage market crashed after COVID.

It’s ready to ride, which is why it’s all dirty. I keep riding it.

If you want just the frameset (frame + fork + bottom bracket + Shimano 600 headset): about $100. I might swap it for another bike in working on.

I like the seat and 2 speed hub quite a bit, so that’s the primary reason the price is so high.

Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom.
I'll try to clean up a photo gallery as pics are requested.

these photos are horrible - i'd have nice pics like Marius if I'd quit riding it in crap weather.

i like this stem.... maybe I should just offer up the frame & fork....?

i don't want to sell the saddle. so if you have you're own - that's a good chunk off the complete price.

i'd really like to hang on to the 2-spd kickback hub. seems like last time i checked, you could only get these with the stupid coaster brake...

Last edited by mrv; 12-31-23 at 01:33 PM. Reason: IT'S A 1980 FRAME & FORK!!!
Old 12-31-23, 09:40 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
It appears the low rider mounts were moved up on the fork and the original holes filled in? Or not original fork perhaps? Actually looks like mounts for a rando rack. 1984 M1000 would have had traditional low rider mounts about half way down the fork I believe.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 12-31-23, 01:30 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by polymorphself
It appears the low rider mounts were moved up on the fork and the original holes filled in? Or not original fork perhaps? Actually looks like mounts for a rando rack. 1984 M1000 would have had traditional low rider mounts about half way down the fork I believe.
Howdy Poly -
GOOD HEAVENS! I think it's a 1980! https://www.ragandbone.ca/PDFs/Miyat...%20Catalog.pdf
- The serial number begins with the letter I - as far as I can tell. https://classicjapanesebicycles.com/...erial-numbers/
-- at first I thought it was a T, but I'm 95% certain it's an I. I can send a photo of the serial number if you need. It may get posted here shortly. The color in the 1980 catalog matches what I remember the paint being before I bodged it. The '84 and '90 catalogs are not what I recall. And I can't find any original pics. If you are interested in the frameset, I can get hold of Dave (oddjob2), he might have something in his files. Let me know.

I added the mid-fork mounts. I never got around to getting that style of rando-rack. The original eyelets are at the fork dropout.

I see what you're saying with the mid-fork rack mounts on the side of the fork for 1984: https://www.ragandbone.ca/PDFs/Miyat...logue%2084.pdf

Thanks for catching my wrong year - I'll update the original advert.
happy new year, everyone!
Likes For mrv:
Old 12-31-23, 01:35 PM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
I was thinking the same thing. My 84 1000 had the low rider mounts and also Miyata panto on the fork crown. mrv do your lugs have the cutout pictured below?

Old 12-31-23, 01:42 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by squarenoise
I was thinking the same thing. My 84 1000 had the low rider mounts and also Miyata panto on the fork crown. mrv do your lugs have the cutout pictured below?

I got this one handy - I've got the same "W" on the head tube lug. But not the MIYATA on the fork crown. I think the fork crown is clear-ish here:

Likes For mrv:
Old 01-01-24, 02:03 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
No interest on my end just thought it would be helpful to point out. Glad the year is sorted

Last edited by polymorphself; 01-02-24 at 08:58 AM.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 01-03-24, 11:44 AM
kvnclu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hi there, I was wondering if you could tell me the standover height of the bike and the approximate tire clearance on the frame? Thank you. Interesting that in the 1980 catalog, the 1000 came in frame sizes of 21" or 23", neither of which correspond to 56cm (about 22").
Old 01-03-24, 04:17 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by kvnclu
Hi there, I was wondering if you could tell me the standover height of the bike and the approximate tire clearance on the frame? Thank you. Interesting that in the 1980 catalog, the 1000 came in frame sizes of 21" or 23", neither of which correspond to 56cm (about 22").
howdy! Thanks for shopping.

stand over with 700c wheels with 32mm tires - right about 84cm.

seat tube length- just under 23in center to top; right under 58cm
Center to center- right at 56.5cm

EDIT: I was running 700c X 38mm Paselas before I put in these 700c x 33mm Grabel Kings.
'nother EDIT: with the 700c X 38mm, it's a tight squeeze getting a fully inflated tire into the forward facing drops - for what that's worth.... but with Paselas, hardly never flat no ways.

Last edited by mrv; 01-03-24 at 04:28 PM. Reason: TIRE SIZE: 700c X 38mm
Old 01-13-24, 03:56 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

bump!
pic of the original paint - in case you're wondering. which you might be if you clicked on the advert.

sure - go ahead and say - man, if it were the OG paint i'd be all over it! welp. yup. yup.
Old 01-28-24, 05:05 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

bump - -

cheers.
Old 04-28-24, 05:21 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Perrelli tyres now

Tires swapped. These are 700c X 33mm Perrelli's
I had to stop and adjust the rear fender on the park. These tires were a smidge fatter than the last set.
The bike bag is now on a single speed my son has in Detroit.
Still shimano brakes. The Dia Comps has an odd fit up with bosses. I’ll post them for sale.

I guess the pricing is the same.
That’s it.
cheers.
Old 04-29-24, 09:44 AM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 137 Posts
If I weren't up to ears in projects, I'd buy the frame in a heartbeat. I have plenty of parts to complete it, it's my size, AND I'm local. I JUST picked up a Bianchi Volpe... Please someone else buy this... I love the addition of the mid-fork mounts.
Likes For romperrr: