Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rolling a Tubular Installed by a Shop. What would you do?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rolling a Tubular Installed by a Shop. What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-10, 10:07 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
I know the real truth here...
Tubeless?
Old 03-02-10, 10:09 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by tanhalt
I don't mean to sound rude, but ...REALLY? It only takes 2 things to make sure a clincher is seated properly (assuming both the tire bead and rim bead are undamaged)...first, put a small amount of air in the tube and then go around the tire pushing the bead back with your thumbs and make absolutely sure there's none of the tube "peeking" under the bead. If there is, "flick" the tire with your thumbs a few times until the tube goes up into the tire.

Second, after putting in full pressure, just LOOK at the rim/bead interface. If it's not seated, it'll be pointedly obvious.
No offense taken. This is a good conversation I hope to learn from. I've personally had trouble keeping the tube inside the tire in the past. Sometimes it wasn't visibly evident, but after I heard what sounded like a gun shot, inspecting the tube told me what I did. I also have a hard time telling when a bead has a kink in it, and when it's just a mark from being folded.
Old 03-02-10, 10:14 AM
tanhalt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I haven't used tubulars in years, but the last tires I used included Continental Sprinter, Vittoria Open Corsa CX and CG, Vittoria Pro L Slick, and some Wolber tire on my track bike training wheels. For clinchers, I used Continental Ultra 2000 and some Corratec tires I got at Interbike. Recently, I have used Continental Grand Prix, Vittoria Rubino Pro. Michelin P2R, and Continental Gatorskin.
I'm assuming you've been running butyl tubes in those clinchers, right? Even without that, from the list you give, that's not exactly an "apples to apples" comparison based not only on the differences in casings between the tubulars and the clinchers, but the fact that those Vittoria tubulars all have latex tubes inside of them (IIRC). Throw some Vittoria Open Corsas (or the Bontrager RXL Pro or Specialized S-Works Mondo Open Tubular "analogs") with some latex tubes onto your clinchers and then get back to me

Figuratively speaking, smartass But seriously, that's one of the things I like most about tubulars. As long as you don't hit any nasty bumps, you're fine. With clinchers, they can leave you riding on the bare rim. I was very happy that the P2R didn't come off the rim during my 40 mph blowout.
Wait! You flatted a clincher at 40mph and not only did it NOT cause an instant crash, but it didn't even come off of the rim?? Say it isn't so!
Old 03-02-10, 10:16 AM
tanhalt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No offense taken. This is a good conversation I hope to learn from. I've personally had trouble keeping the tube inside the tire in the past. Sometimes it wasn't visibly evident, but after I heard what sounded like a gun shot, inspecting the tube told me what I did. I also have a hard time telling when a bead has a kink in it, and when it's just a mark from being folded.
Yeah...the "gunshot" sound is from the tube "sneaking" out after pushing up the bead and exploding in the open air. That's an installation error...when a tube blows inside of a tire it can't sound like that.

Start doing point number one I described above and that's not going to happen again.
Old 03-02-10, 10:23 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Sure you do
The truth is that shlit happens in bike racing, and all the hand wringing, finger pointing and teeth gnashing on BF will never change that. Besides, crashing isn't so bad. It's over fast.
Old 03-02-10, 10:28 AM
tanhalt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Besides, crashing isn't so bad. It's over fast.
Yeah...kind of like how falling out of a building isn't so bad...(you're just free-falling, right?)...it's the aftermath that's a *****.
Old 03-02-10, 10:36 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

It hasn't been a problem in quite a while, but I will use your thumb flicking suggestion the next time it comes up.
Old 03-02-10, 10:37 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Yeah...kind of like how falling out of a building isn't so bad...(you're just free-falling, right?)...it's the aftermath that's a *****.
Remind me of something my grandfather said once: "Flying is very safe. It's how you get back to the ground that's the issue."
Old 03-02-10, 10:42 AM
tanhalt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remind me of something my grandfather said once: "Flying is very safe. It's how you get back to the ground that's the issue."
Right...and the mark of a good pilot is an equal number of successful takeoffs and landings...
Old 03-02-10, 11:32 AM
dmotoguy
Edificating

Bikes: Spooky + Sachs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spinwax
Nobody was even near them when they went down; not sure how anyone heard a pedal scrape. They had at least 2-3 second gap or more on the field nearing the finish. The tire was inflated. I was one of the first to run over there to help. I picked his bike up and saw the tire first hand. He is sure he didn't hit his pedal. Why would that matter anyways? If catching a pedal and jumpping your rear wheel over knocks a tub off, why would you use them? Tubs shouldn't come off that easy.
Tubs or clinchers will come off in that situation if it lands right.. you're not supposed to have a wheel go airborn and come down sideways at 30 mph..
Old 03-02-10, 01:01 PM
spinwax

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmotoguy
Tubs or clinchers will come off in that situation if it lands right.. you're not supposed to have a wheel go airborn and come down sideways at 30 mph..
True, but from what my friend says, that didn't happen. He says he flew into the turn and the next thing he knew the whole rear end of the bike came out from under him. Usually if you do a 30mph kick out, you are aware it happened. Hell, 99% of the time you will blow a tire.

Unfortunately we will never know the whole story. I feel terrible for both of my friends that were off the front. My buddy who rolled the tub, took out my other friend as well. Lucky for both of them, they are just a little torn up and sore... and both kept their overall GC of 5th and 4th. Like I said, the worst part is, if they would have taken 1st and 2nd in the crit the time bonus would have put my buddy in 1st or second in GC due to the gap as well, and my other friend in 3rd overall. Unfortunately that is how racing goes.

Fun thread!

Like I stated earlier, I like tubs. I ride clinchers. They are just easier. I have found one big positive with clinchers. I usually bring a few sets of wheels to a race, but I only have one set of really nice deep carbons. If I start getting reading and happen to ride my bike around on the race wheels, get a flat, I can fix it in a few minutes, and I still get to ride my race wheels. If I was on tubs, get a flat right before a race, I would probably end up riding lesser of a wheel like my training clinchers.

I have flatted at over 40mph on clinchers. I didn't go down. It was hairy as hell, but I just kept the bike in control and slowed down very slowly.
Old 03-02-10, 01:34 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by dmotoguy
I've had a 32 spoke Open 4cd (clincher) fold in that circumstance, that takes a fair ammount of force. I think it came down right in a crack in the road. And I didn't feel like my pedal hit any harder than usual. Last turn & I stood up to sprint just a hair too early, flash foreword to the ambulance. Details are still a little hazy even years later.

tanhalt, I always figured the Tubie to Clincher handling difference was more about profile. Tubies have always been rounder, while a lot of the older Clinchers were more skinny and tall. Many of the newer ones, eg Pro Race 2, are rounder and feel to me more like a tubular when you turn.

Last edited by Voodoo76; 03-02-10 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-02-10, 01:51 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
John, it's unfortunate that they went down but you are way overstating their gap on the field. 1st in the GC was 19 seconds up on Rafe and 26 seconds on Connor. The time bonus for first was 10 seconds so he would have had to win and get 9 seconds on the field. However a win and no gap would have at least moved him to second. if connor won, the 10 second bonus would have moved him to third, but second in the crit was only worth 6 seconds and he would not have moved up in the GC. It is very unlikely that the officials would give a time gap for only a few second lead in the sprint finish. They didn't give me a time gap in the RR last year and I had probably about 5 seconds on the field.
Old 03-02-10, 02:28 PM
spinwax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
John, it's unfortunate that they went down but you are way overstating their gap on the field. 1st in the GC was 19 seconds up on Rafe and 26 seconds on Connor. The time bonus for first was 10 seconds so he would have had to win and get 9 seconds on the field. However a win and no gap would have at least moved him to second. if connor won, the 10 second bonus would have moved him to third, but second in the crit was only worth 6 seconds and he would not have moved up in the GC. It is very unlikely that the officials would give a time gap for only a few second lead in the sprint finish. They didn't give me a time gap in the RR last year and I had probably about 5 seconds on the field.
It was hard to tell but no matter what if Rafe took the win, he would have moved to 2nd. Man, I can't believe that Ritte dude took the overall in the RR and the GC over Shaw. Funny having that giant team, but the only one that worked in the entire crit was Shaw. Well at least from what I saw. He did a lot of work up front, I thought that was cool. I just don't think the rest of the team had enough steam to do much up front with guys like Rafe, Connor and Trevor up front alot.
Old 03-02-10, 02:34 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Voodoo76
tanhalt, I always figured the Tubie to Clincher handling difference was more about profile. Tubies have always been rounder, while a lot of the older Clinchers were more skinny and tall. Many of the newer ones, eg Pro Race 2, are rounder and feel to me more like a tubular when you turn.
I agree with the handling comment, and I agree that the newer clinchers are a bit rounder, although it seems that you just can't get them quite as round as a tubular by their very nature.
Old 03-02-10, 04:04 PM
tanhalt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with the handling comment, and I agree that the newer clinchers are a bit rounder, although it seems that you just can't get them quite as round as a tubular by their very nature.
Sigh...once again...
Old 03-02-10, 06:31 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
four times in one thread, dude?
Old 03-02-10, 06:32 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Crashing a bike is like falling out of a moving car, not a building. Don't exaggerate.
Old 03-02-10, 06:54 PM
tanhalt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
four times in one thread, dude?
Don't blame me...I'm not the one who keep making the mythical statements ;-)
Old 03-02-10, 08:43 PM
woodduck

Bikes: GT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah tanhalt, you go "sigh" at my garden hose comment, I guess you have more experince than the chap who made that comment to me.

he was riding on pink dugausts at the time and knows a thing or two about riding fast on bikes. A little bit more in tune with his kit and ability than you'd be.

go ahead, try some and get back to us.
Old 03-02-10, 09:42 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Don't blame me...I'm not the one who keep making the mythical statements ;-)
I already listed some of the tires I've ridden on. My experience is that all of the tubulars from the cheap Wolbers to the top shelf Vittorias have a smoother transition when cornering. I have ridden with latex tubes on many of the clinchers as well, and I did not notice any discernable improvement in ride quality or cornering... definitely not enough to equal the tubulars. Looking at any cross section of these tires gives me good reason to feel that it's not just in my head. Why you assume I have no basis for my claims is beyond me. I don't know how much racing or riding experience you have, so I don't assume anything about your comments... except the one that is way too vague to contribute to the discussion. Feel free to disagree with me, but respond with actual evidence instead of what seriously sounds like an overly pompous retort.
Old 03-02-10, 10:06 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
**** this thread.

You're wasting your time knight.
Old 03-02-10, 10:11 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by operator
**** this thread.

You're wasting your time knight.
Nothing better to do tonight. Any suggestions?
Old 03-03-10, 09:51 AM
tanhalt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I already listed some of the tires I've ridden on. My experience is that all of the tubulars from the cheap Wolbers to the top shelf Vittorias have a smoother transition when cornering.
Right...and based on that list, I have to say that you're comparing "apples to oranges". Of the clinchers you have listed, the only one I would consider "decent" performance-wise is the PR2 Race...BUT, that's still a low TPI, vulcanized tread/casing tire. You're comparing them to tires (especially the Vittorias) with casings with MUCH higher thread counts (290 TPI) and with the thread glued onto the casing...oh, and with a latex tube sewn up inside.

I have ridden with latex tubes on many of the clinchers as well, and I did not notice any discernable improvement in ride quality or cornering... definitely not enough to equal the tubulars.
That's not surprising...the performance improvement in mediocre tires is still there, it's just not very noticeable with the "butt-O-meter". IME, you don't start actually noticing a difference in "feel" until you start running them in high quality clinchers...you know, ones that are constructed nearly the same as those Vittoria tubulars you ran

Looking at any cross section of these tires gives me good reason to feel that it's not just in my head.
Again...apples to oranges. One piece vulcanized tires (like most clinchers) tend to have more rubber in the sidewalls, which gives them a less rounded shape near the beads when inflated. That's not the case with "high end" clinchers that use a casing that's constructed separately from the tread. I don't expect your Gatorskins, for example, to have the same "shape" when they're inflated as you would see with a Vittoria Open tubular (clincher). They're just constructed differently.

That said, tire casings are made with a bias ply construction. Given equivalent casing constructions, the shape that they take under load is going to be equivalently "circular"...it's just a matter of the loading. How the tire is attached to the rim isn't going to affect the shape the rest of it takes when inflated.

Besides, people tend to overestimate just how much of the tire surface they actually use in cornering...in the part that matters, even with the clincher tires with stiffer sidewalls (and thus a "U" shape), the tread has a circular radius to it.

Why you assume I have no basis for my claims is beyond me. I don't know how much racing or riding experience you have, so I don't assume anything about your comments... except the one that is way too vague to contribute to the discussion. Feel free to disagree with me, but respond with actual evidence instead of what seriously sounds like an overly pompous retort.
Sorry about that...just having some fun I probably should have responded to the post that you were responding to...I guess it looks like I'm picking on you. I'm not...I'm just trying to respond to some of the misinformation that's leaking out in this thread.

If anyone is interested in learning more about tires in general, here's a few links you might want to peruse:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Tires...vents_226.html

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/What_...tire__955.html

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/What_...ube__1034.html
Old 03-03-10, 10:10 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Right...and based on that list, I have to say that you're comparing "apples to oranges". Of the clinchers you have listed, the only one I would consider "decent" performance-wise is the PR2 Race...BUT, that's still a low TPI, vulcanized tread/casing tire. You're comparing them to tires (especially the Vittorias) with casings with MUCH higher thread counts (290 TPI) and with the thread glued onto the casing...oh, and with a latex tube sewn up inside.

That's not surprising...the performance improvement in mediocre tires is still there, it's just not very noticeable with the "butt-O-meter". IME, you don't start actually noticing a difference in "feel" until you start running them in high quality clinchers...you know, ones that are constructed nearly the same as those Vittoria tubulars you ran

Again...apples to oranges. One piece vulcanized tires (like most clinchers) tend to have more rubber in the sidewalls, which gives them a less rounded shape near the beads when inflated. That's not the case with "high end" clinchers that use a casing that's constructed separately from the tread. I don't expect your Gatorskins, for example, to have the same "shape" when they're inflated as you would see with a Vittoria Open tubular (clincher). They're just constructed differently.

That said, tire casings are made with a bias ply construction. Given equivalent casing constructions, the shape that they take under load is going to be equivalently "circular"...it's just a matter of the loading. How the tire is attached to the rim isn't going to affect the shape the rest of it takes when inflated.

Besides, people tend to overestimate just how much of the tire surface they actually use in cornering...in the part that matters, even with the clincher tires with stiffer sidewalls (and thus a "U" shape), the tread has a circular radius to it.

Sorry about that...just having some fun I probably should have responded to the post that you were responding to...I guess it looks like I'm picking on you. I'm not...I'm just trying to respond to some of the misinformation that's leaking out in this thread.

If anyone is interested in learning more about tires in general, here's a few links you might want to peruse:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Tires...vents_226.html

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/What_...tire__955.html

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/What_...ube__1034.html
Sigh ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.