Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

So How many of you DO NOT Know how to drive a CAR...???

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

So How many of you DO NOT Know how to drive a CAR...???

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-05, 12:41 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I learned when I was in HS but never went further than a few lessons. Fast forward around 10 years and I finally got around to more lessons and got the DL. Useful, but thank goodness I don't have a car (yet?).
Old 10-07-05, 04:46 PM
Patch29

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ricardo kuhn
Hey Ricardo,

Do you think you could rig this Rack and Roll Trailer

https://rackandroll.com/

to a BMW paralever? How about fabricating a hitch for a KLR? If anyone could do it, I think you could.

It would make transporting a kayak a lot easier, you need more stuff. That would be something to see. A motorcycle with two bicycles and a trailer with two kayaks. Just do not look at the price of the trailer. Glad to see you are around.
Old 10-07-05, 04:56 PM
ricardo kuhn
Hacker Maximus

Bikes: less than I use to,, more than I need

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patch29
Hey Ricardo,

Do you think you could rig this Rack and Roll Trailer

https://rackandroll.com/

to a BMW paralever? How about fabricating a hitch for a KLR? If anyone could do it, I think you could.

It would make transporting a kayak a lot easier, you need more stuff. That would be something to see. A motorcycle with two bicycles and a trailer with two kayaks. Just do not look at the price of the trailer. Glad to see you are around.
HI mister patch,,,long time No see...

actually a few years back for the 49Er rally my frined Todd "velcro" transport for me about 900 pound of load including all the big tents and a ton of my work on a small trailer (you can varelly see on the left hand corner) actually He use to transport a jetsky on it, plus kayacs and heavy things,, let me try to get better pictures of it.

I'm just glad I don't like hangliders anymore i be in trouble carring one on the bike.
Old 10-07-05, 05:09 PM
ricardo kuhn
Hacker Maximus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pakole

OK, I am 6 2, and I weigh 215 pounds. My bikes are over 60 cm or 24 inches, so I have no problem with big bikes, since it will probably be the only way that I am comfortable. The following are motorcycles that I like from the look of it.
cool with that size you will fit in almost any bike,,actually some will be to small for you, but you don't want them anyway since they are cruisers..

Honda CBR600F4i, and CBR600RR (I like the other more powerful designs, but this was the least powerful design that I am comfortable riding.)
Kawasaki ZZR 600 ( i could see myself on the other more powerful design, but I like Honda's and Susuki's better.)
Susuki GS500F ( I really like the other more powerful designs, but this is the only bike under 500cc)

Anyway, I do not know if these are good or not, and I have about 7 months before I even buy one anyway. You do not have to convince me to get used, because I will. I apperciate any additional comments you have. Thanks.
Ummm....
Power,,horse power is all crap and theoretical if you never get to use it,,a current sport bike like the CBRs you mension above feature a really AbRuPt power deleivery, well is not as abrupt as it is a Big spike that require for you to Rev the engine to his Limit to get to were the power is,,for example the BMWs I ussally ride, have about half as much power as a 600CC superbike, but the power is available for you at any range of the rpms, making the bike almost as fast and for sure a lot easyer to ride...

we better not get into this,,if not the carfree people are going to start to trow rotten tomatos at us,, but I think you need to get a bike that is more "Real" since sport bike promise a lot but deliver very little or ask way to much (concentration, perfect road conddiccion, perfect tyre tread,,,etc) if you really want to get going..
I be more than happy to help just send me a Pm or something and we figure out what you ReAllY need.
Old 10-07-05, 05:31 PM
EmSV650

Bikes: Giant Sedona, Schwinn SlikChick 1966, Cannondale hybrid I just bought - it's in the shop being refurbished

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OMG, man that is sooooooooo awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
my hero!

Em
'02 Suz SV650
scruffy Trek 800 of indeterminate vintage
Tampa FL
Old 10-07-05, 08:40 PM
Patch29

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ricardo kuhn
HI mister patch,,,long time No see...

actually a few years back for the 49Er rally my frined Todd "velcro" transport for me about 900 pound of load including all the big tents and a ton of my work on a small trailer (you can varelly see on the left hand corner) actually He use to transport a jetsky on it, plus kayacs and heavy things,, let me try to get better pictures of it.

What motorcycle did he tow it with? That is the part that interests me. How would you attach it with a BMW?
Old 10-08-05, 02:27 AM
Autokat
CARFREE, THE LIFE FOR ME

Bikes: cruiser,hybrid commuter,and various other bikes and bits laying around

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your going to get a motorcyle just remember this can happen as motorcycles are heavier and you ride in the same space as cars & trucks ( car drivers love to talk on phones ) and yes this is my leg .you should have seen it before it healed ( yum )
Old 10-08-05, 02:32 AM
Autokat
CARFREE, THE LIFE FOR ME

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I won't post the picture of it when I first came home from hospital as its a little graphic , all I will say is both the tibia ans the fibia were outside my jeans & and I lost most of the flesh ,skin and tendons from it , oh and also 2" of bone .
Old 10-08-05, 02:15 PM
Autokat
CARFREE, THE LIFE FOR ME

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's cool , I just thought I'd let you know , you'd be suprised how many people out there don't know the risks ,so good luck with it and be safe . ( oh and yes I am still riding )
Old 10-08-05, 09:21 PM
Patch29

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lauren
Yup, my father used to ride so I've already gotten several safety lectures. I'm gonna be the anti-squid if I ever get a bike, riding around on a 250 obeying the posted speed limits with full gear. I see people riding around in jeans and sneakers and just can't understand it.

Good to hear you're still riding. You mentioned jeans, were you wearing any sort of riding pants over them?

Take a look at the Aerostich Hi-Viz Roadcrafter. They are awesome and it never hurts when drivers think you might be a fireman.
Old 10-09-05, 02:17 AM
Autokat
CARFREE, THE LIFE FOR ME

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Good to hear you're still riding. You mentioned jeans, were you wearing any sort of riding pants over them?[/QUOTE]

The jeans I was wearing are called Draggin jeans , they have kevlar inserts in them to stop gravel rash but they don't help when your legs get crushed between a car and a bike . Basically I was riding straight along a road and as I went passed a side street a car pulled out and T-boned me right in the side ( leg first ) and no I wasn't speeding when the bike hit the road the speedo locked on 55km in a 60km zone and the bike had a flat spot on the tyres from being pushed sideways across the road , If I wasn't wearing my other gear (aka gloves jacket helmet boots ) aswell as my jeans I would be missing 4 fingers 1 thumb and most of the skin from my arms and back .

But anyway good luck and have fun you'll really enjoy the freedom .
Old 10-11-05, 03:31 PM
paytonc
urbanist

Bikes: surly LHT, candy bad boy, xtracycle'd spec globe, breezer folder, and an old ten-speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never learned to drive.

Even golf carts have too much motive power for me -- I don't trust myself in charge of anything with that much power. But please, for the sake of everyone's hearing and sanity, if you have a motorcycle keep it within federal noise laws.
Old 10-13-05, 09:06 AM
tom cotter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my DL almost a month ago, but I'm not confident behind the wheel. In a little over a month I'll take the MSF course and hopefully buy a motorcycle soon after (if not before). I'm just gonna get a little 250, not a huge bike like the one in the pic. Maybe when I get out of grad school I'll get a sport tourer, or even a truck if I end up buying some property.
I can recommend Honda's Reflex Scooter. At 250cc it's fun and practical. I have one and really throw it around. Still, it gets over 60mpg. Riding more conservatively it tops 70mpg. Get it with a Givi top case and it turns into a real grocery getter.
On the sport tourer side of things it's tough to beat Honda's ST1300 and Yamaha's FJR 1300. Great bikes. You wouldn't go wrong buying a used Honda ST1100, a best pick among the Long Distance Iron Butt crowd. My LD ride is a BMW K1200LT. It's a full tourer that handles like a sport bike, fast, fun, and smooth.
Old 10-20-05, 04:15 AM
powerhouse

Bikes: Trek 850 Antelope

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Let's get back to the actual question on this thread.

SO HOW MANY OF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE A CAR?

I don't know how to drive a motor vehicle, MOTORCYCLE INCLUDED! I never have and never will due to the fact that I have what is called "legal blindness". By that I mean that I don't have good enough eyesight to drive. Also, I have epilepsy, which fortunately has been controlled for years. But I am perfectly able to operate a bicycle, long and short distances.

Does anyone else not drive a motor vehicle due to disabilities?

So, let's stick a fork in this thread as far as motorcycles are concerned.

Remember the actual topic of this thread, OK?
Old 10-20-05, 11:25 AM
ricardo kuhn
Hacker Maximus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by powerhouse
Let's get back to the actual question on this thread.

SO HOW MANY OF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE A CAR?

I don't know how to drive a motor vehicle, MOTORCYCLE INCLUDED! I never have and never will due to the fact that I have what is called "legal blindness". By that I mean that I don't have good enough eyesight to drive. Also, I have epilepsy, which fortunately has been controlled for years. But I am perfectly able to operate a bicycle, long and short distances.

Does anyone else not drive a motor vehicle due to disabilities?

So, let's stick a fork in this thread as far as motorcycles are concerned.

Remember the actual topic of this thread, OK?
I'm the one that start this TREAD,,,
and I do consider Motorcycle, Extremlly diferent from CARS, for starters you need to lean with them(the right way) you body dinamics plays a huge part in the way the vehicle handle and perform not like in a car when your body size and overall location have very little to do with the way the vehicle respond, to me Motorcycles somehow are like really fast bicycles that can go really far in a short time, they still ocupied a small space on the road, suffer from the same climate and enviromental issues as a bicycle and more than anything require absolute and constant attencion when you are riding on them, not like on a car that you can be eating breafast, watching movies and doing your nails,,,, well my point is whatever keeps you from being inside a oversize metal Cage is fine with me..

if you want you are more than welcome to start your own tread with a tittle like....
" How many of you don't know how to operate a vehicle with a Internal combustion engine"

Last edited by ricardo kuhn; 10-20-05 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-20-05, 11:50 AM
ricardo kuhn
Hacker Maximus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not gonna get a scooter . The ninja 250 gets about the same mileage, but has a larger tank (longer range) and I'd feel funny on the highway on a scooter (even a 250). The ninja is cheaper and more common too.
you go at it Lauren...
Small wheel scooters have a really big problem, the wheels are to small so they don't provide suffient Gyroscopic force, making them very unstable and prone to change direction at high speeds, this is great if you are riding in town and you need something that manuvers super fast, but they also require a lot of skill not to fall.

I have an autoimmune disease that's actually decreased my ability to cycle. My thyroid doesn't work properly and the replacements make me feel great, but lower my stamina (increase my HR, decreaseLT by increasing basal metabolism). Right now I'm surviving on a coctail of freeze dried pig thyroids, mountain dew, and sugar.
sorry to hear from your illness, hopefully you get better soon.

my reason to start riding motorcycles, (i only learn 12 years ago and before that, I only move under my own power) is that I found my self being to "Provincial" never being able to go much farder than my legs will take me,, even on the skateboard was sad to select visiting girlfriend because they live on flater ground, when I came to the USA the distances are so bast (Canada, Mejico and also Alaska) with so much to see and so many places to go, ride and explore, to me the best way to do it was to get a motorbike, realistically i don't have that much time and even a 200mille trip to a diferent town ussing public transportation can take all day long, when on a bike you can be there in 3 hours if not less and the best Part is that you get to SEE and experince things and stop and also change your mind if you like, as oppose to watch Life passing you by tru the window of some "TOurist Bus" with air conddicon that feels more like a movie teather that a very real experince...
Old 10-21-05, 04:07 AM
Satyr
Corsair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not operate any motorized transport, and truly have no desire to. There appears to be this conception esp. in North America that there is a great benefit to the be had by being able to reach any locale in extremely short amounts of time.

I have often wondered at the physchological impacts of Humankind's current, expedient forms of travel. With the ability to go almost anywhere fast, have we lost a certain sense of adventure? Where has the magic of travelling gone? Does the consequent reduced size of the world eliminate any of a human's sense of mystery and wonder? I'm convinced that some sense of mystery and wonder is necessary for the human psyche, for mystery is a huge motivating factor. Look at the Western world's media, which is dominated by extreme adventure and drama programming. Many people in my own life seem to be in search of some greater mystery or adventure, but do not find it because they have become accustomed to the radical and improbable.

So basically, I've wondered if what to us is now mundane used to, perhaps, be a true adventure.

Does anyone else abstain from motorized transport for a similar reason? By biking, I try to reclaim that child-like wonder of the world, to make every day an adventure, every ride to the store, or to work, or class.
Old 10-25-05, 08:03 AM
genericbikedude
如果你能讀了這個你講中文

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had my liscence for about a year and a half (I'm 24). In that time, I've used it exactly once--to drive a uhaul truck. While driving it (very carefully), all I could think about was howeasy it would be to go on a homicidal rampage.

Think about it--your foot pushes a small lever, and your arms twist a wheel, and a 3-ton truck goes hurtling into the crowd of schoolchildren on the streetcorner. Scary.

Luckily, the my better nature prevailed.
Old 10-26-05, 10:24 PM
LoveParkRIP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no desire to drive. I can't see spending thousands of dollars on a vehicle, and more on insurance. What a waste. Too many of my friends have passed away in car accidents. It's not so much me not trusting myself to drive, but when you're on the road you have to worry about what every other ******* is going to do.
Old 10-26-05, 10:50 PM
SteveFox
Tour de World

Bikes: Trek 520, Giant Iguana disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont have my liscence, nor can i drive a car illegally. I really dont want to learn. even with all of societys pressures and my peers trying to get me to learn. nope, i cant drive one, but i can get home just as fast as any car on my bike, so im ok with that.

Steve Fox