Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Source or DIY for J-hooks?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 12:03 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I recently picked up a pair of millitary map cases from an Army-Navy store, and I'm looking to convert them into a pair of small front panniers, for use in commuting and maybe some weekend touring.

They have soft tops/fronts/sides and stiff backs, and structurally are perfect for supplementing my rear grocery panniers until I can save up enough for a set of proper panniers.

Anyone know a good way to secure them to the front rack? It'd have to be something like a J-hook that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, in keeping with the DIY spirit of this project.

I'm using a Tara rack, one of these babies with retain clips on the bottom to catch a pannier retain ring or triangle:

Thanks! Let the ideas flow...

My bands:

Last edited by neilfein; 01-10-08 at 02:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-10-08, 01:26 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by neilfein
I recently picked up a pair of millitary pam cases from an Army-Navy store, and I'm looking to convert them into a pair of small front panniers, for use in commuting and maybe some weekend touring.

They have soft tops/fronts/sides and stiff backs, and structuarally are perfect for supplelenting my rear grocery panniers until I can save up enough for a set of proper panniers.

Anyone know a good way to secure them to the front rack? It'd have to be something like a J-hook that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, in keeping with the DIY spirit of this project.

I'm using a Tara rack, one of these babies with retain clips on the bottom to catch a pannier retain ring or triangle:

Thanks! Let the ideas flow...
It's pretty cheap to use Ortlieb mounting hardware. Ortlieb sells the parts here and I've found nothing better at keeping the bags on the rack.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-10-08, 03:51 PM
m5nardi
Senior Mumbler

Bikes: Bianch Lupo, Wyatt Street King, Schwinn Traveller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you mean the hooks like this (on the white bucket), those are rope hooks, or "rope tie-down" hooks. I've also used a bolt with a J on the end, called a J-bolt. J-bolts work better when the hooks need to be attached to the top edge of something, and the rope hooks work better when the hooks need to be attached to the back, like a bag or a box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PicG0408.jpg (63.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg
PicG0406.jpg (40.0 KB, 65 views)
Old 01-10-08, 06:57 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
A DIY solution might be something like this:

tn_pannier.JPG

You need
- one packet of 4 frame brackets, 2 inches
- 4 #8 bolts about 3/4 inches long (depending on thickness of fabric)
- 3 zip ties
- one bungee cord

Bend the frame brackets so that they form a hook that will just fit on your pannier.

With an ice pick or nail, create 4 holes through the back of the back. Put the screws through the frame brackets holes, with nuts and washers on the inside of the pack.

Push the twist ties through the fabric at locations that will hold a bungee cord. I didn't use (and don't seem to need...) a J hook on my pannier, but you could create one out of a wall hook for frames.

If that doesn't work, you can get pannier hook kits from mec.ca, arkel.com or from Axiom at your LBS.
Old 01-11-08, 05:23 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I really do like the Arkel system (at least, the one back from four or so years ago). Simple aluminium flat bar bent into hooks and drilled for the two hitches onto the rack, and another piece of flatbar bent and drilled to form a "butterfly" clip for the centre. Look up Arkel's website that might give you some ideas. You do need a backing stiffener of some sort (either another long piece of alloy flat bar).
Old 01-11-08, 01:20 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks everybody! I see that there are lots of good ways to do this.

Originally Posted by gerv
A DIY solution might be something like this:

You need
- one packet of 4 frame brackets, 2 inches
- 4 #8 bolts about 3/4 inches long (depending on thickness of fabric)
- 3 zip ties
- one bungee cord

Bend the frame brackets so that they form a hook that will just fit on your pannier.

With an ice pick or nail, create 4 holes through the back of the back. Put the screws through the frame brackets holes, with nuts and washers on the inside of the pack.

Push the twist ties through the fabric at locations that will hold a bungee cord. I didn't use (and don't seem to need...) a J hook on my pannier, but you could create one out of a wall hook for frames.

If that doesn't work, you can get pannier hook kits from mec.ca, arkel.com or from Axiom at your LBS.
This might be the way to go. And it's pretty easy to replace the bungee cord when it gets frayed (I hope to have "real" panniers before it gets to that point).

My bands:
Old 01-11-08, 02:08 PM
Patch29

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Jandd sells J hooks on their website.

Heavy J-Hook Stainless w/ Protector (ea)
Product ID: FWSA-HJH
Description: Jandd's Heavy J-Hook is the industry standard made in stainless steel. The Hook Protector adds just enough padding to act as a shock reducer for heavily-loaded panniers. Sold in singles assembled.
Price: $1.95
Old 01-12-08, 10:34 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by neilfein
Thanks everybody! I see that there are lots of good ways to do this.

This might be the way to go. And it's pretty easy to replace the bungee cord when it gets frayed (I hope to have "real" panniers before it gets to that point).
You might want to use a bungee w/o hooks on the end. Simply tie off the ends. Sometimes the hooks you see in the photo interfere with the metal hooks.

Also, depending on the rack, you might need some stiff backing (coroplast from a sign might work...). I use this on a rear rack and seems to be sufficient.
Old 01-12-08, 11:26 AM
m5nardi
Senior Mumbler

Bikes: Bianch Lupo, Wyatt Street King, Schwinn Traveller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
You might want to use a bungee w/o hooks on the end. Simply tie off the ends. Sometimes the hooks you see in the photo interfere with the metal hooks.
I have some smaller diameter bungees with very small rounded hooks that can be smushed closed after installing that might solve some of that problem. They are usually a 10" cord.
https://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1294432

I've used them to secure gallons of milk and the hooks are stronger than they look.
Old 01-12-08, 02:34 PM
neilfein

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I placed an order for hooks and pannier retain straps from Jandd. I'll attach all these with nuts and bolts and washers. Now I need to figure out how I'll get the pannier straps to hold to the bag just above where they grab the rack. Zip ties, possibly. Zip ties solve everything.

My bands: