Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Picking a FS bike for my wife, thoughts on 4 models?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-19, 07:37 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts

With the kids getting into MTBing, they're getting new 24" c-dales for christmas the wife is thinking she needs to get a MTB for keeping up. We ride a lot locally though she is usually on a cross bike and we do slightly easier trails, the kids want to move into more difficult terrain which means she needs something. We're looking at a 2100.00 price range which has put 4 bikes into our view. She is 5'6" so in all of the bikes we're considering a size small.
Trek Fuel ex5- decent spec, nothing amazing. I worry that everything being boost might make the q-factor a little much, she isn't a very wide person and the BB/crank is wider. She wasn't dissatisfied with the fit while riding in the parking lot.
Liv Pique 29 or Intrigue- Basically the same bikes but different wheel sizes, She was able to try a liv embolden and the fit was ok but that isn't either of these bikes. Spec on both is Sram SX; I'd always viewed NX as equivalent to deore so this feels like a lower spec to me for the price.
Cannondale Habit 3 womens- Seems like the nicest of the bikes. For 1650 we can get the 2019 version which seems like the exact same components as the trek fuel, both deore 10sp, sunrace cassette, race face crank but a slightly better version of the shocks though 10mm less travel. the 2020 is nicely equpped with SLX 11sp, same crank and an extra climbing gear 46 vs 42 with 2019 or trek. I also like the fact that they ditched the press fit for a proper threaded BB.
Canyon last I looked didn't have her size in our price range available and Juliana's are too expensive from what I've seen.
We'd given thoughts to Specialized but don't really like the company as a whole.
Biggest issue is apart from the trek fuel ex5 none of these bikes are available to try out and I've called about 20 shops in Western LI, Queens, and Brooklyn to find them so we might be stuck buying sight unseen.
Which of these would you pick or is there something better for a first MTB, price range is pretty fixed.
Old 12-15-19, 09:54 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I would not give the q-factor on the boost a second thought. Seriously, forget about it. Non-issue.

I have one bike with 1x11 SRAM NX and another with 1x11 Shimano XT. Both using Sunrace cassettes. IMO they work just as well as each other, and I actually prefer the action of the NX shifter lever. The NX is heavier.

I would worry less about the drivetrain specs on these bikes and more about the suspension (what forks and shocks?). In the range you are looking at the drivetrains all work fine, some just weigh more. Quality of suspension will matter more. Also, do these all come with droppers?
Old 12-16-19, 06:21 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
The two Giants have slightly worse suspension. The trek and Cannondale have the same level of suspension but the Cannondale has the debonair versions of the recon fork and rear shock which is somehow supposed to be slightly better but nothing says how and reviews suggest no real difference. Hoping for someone with experience with them since no one stocks women's bikes to try.
Old 12-16-19, 07:05 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Don't get hung up on women's vs men's bikes. In most cases the only difference is the seat, paint, and maybe the stem length.
Old 12-16-19, 08:47 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
It's good that you mentioned where you are as I was going to suggest a larger gear range. If you ride mostly in LI, 42T is plenty. I'm in NJ and many of us go SS at Cathedral Pines by you.
Definitely go boost, as the other standards are already phased out with the better new bikes, Q-factor a non-issue otherwise they wouldn't be selling. If you are willing to drive to NJ, you will have a few more options if you'd rather buy in person. PM me and I can send you some shops I like.
Also noticed your choices aren't narrowed by either tire size and amount of travel. Once you narrow down these, I'd look at frame geometries to see what she would fit better on.