Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Freddy Fenders

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Freddy Fenders

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-04, 09:00 PM
Robbykills
Hi. I'm in Delaware.

Bikes: 2017 All City Space Horse, 2015 Jamis Dragonslayer, 2016 Velo Orange Pass Hunter Disc, 1991 Tommasini Competizione, 2018 Soma Wolverine fixed gear, 1996 Diamondback Outlook w/Crust Clydesdale, 1999 Torelli Corsa Strada (Coaster Brake Conversion ;] )

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Freddy Fenders

Anyone have the planet bike freddy fenders? I hear they are good but wanted some more opinions. Thanks.
Old 11-13-04, 11:31 PM
jabowker

Bikes: Old Schwinn

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put a set on my old LeTour a couple of weeks ago. The install was uneventful and I think that they actually look pretty good. Rode in the rain with them for the first time today and was pleased with the result. I think it was money well spent.
Old 11-13-04, 11:45 PM
Patch29

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have them on my LHT and they have been fine, no complaints. I would buy them again. I have a photo with them installed here.
Old 11-14-04, 12:10 AM
markw
Steel is Real.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked at both, went with the SKS/Esge since the shop had both. About $5 more, but the touring list guys at bikelist swear by the SKS's. I have the SKS's on my LHT https://www.wolfenet.org/gallery/surly/img_1540 .
Old 11-14-04, 08:22 AM
jabowker

Bikes: Old Schwinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I notice from the pics that Patch29's Freddys and the SKSs both have two supports back to the braze on. My Freddys have only one. I'm betting that both of theirs are better.

I do remember reading someone's comment about the attachment of the single support wire to the fender on some fender breaking. Don't recall if the comment was about a Freddy model or not. Something to watch for.

My LBSs only had the Freddys I got and some quick-steal models. I was in a hurry and they were realatively cheep. Still no complaints.
Old 11-14-04, 09:21 AM
bsyptak
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got them on my Giant Cypress SX. They work great. Get the Hardcore model, as they have extra mudflaps. Mine have 2 wires each side in the back going to the braze ons.

Planet Bike donates 25% of profits to cycling advocacy:

"We at Planet Bike Believe in the positive power of the bicycle. We strive to bring you the best bicycle products in the marketplace today. We also pledge to donate 25% of company profit to causes that promote the use of the bicycle for the good of the planet. By choosing Planet Bike products, you can help us make a difference. As our VIRTUOUS CIRCLE illustrates, when you purchase Planet Bike products, we give back, benefiting all of us, especially you, the Cyclist!"

Last edited by bsyptak; 11-14-04 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-14-04, 09:58 AM
Robbykills
Hi. I'm in Delaware.

Bikes: 2017 All City Space Horse, 2015 Jamis Dragonslayer, 2016 Velo Orange Pass Hunter Disc, 1991 Tommasini Competizione, 2018 Soma Wolverine fixed gear, 1996 Diamondback Outlook w/Crust Clydesdale, 1999 Torelli Corsa Strada (Coaster Brake Conversion ;] )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
awesome, I think I'll definatly go with them. Thanks guys.
Old 11-14-04, 10:23 AM
madhouse

Bikes: '14 Bacchetta Corsa, '93 Ryan Vanguard, Action Bent SWB USS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My only complaint of the Freddy Fenders was a shortage of hardware configurations. The bolts supplied didn't reach through my fork so I had to modify. I expected as much so it wasn't a big let down. It would be impossible to have all the necessary hardware for every application... but it would be nice!
Old 11-14-04, 02:34 PM
Corsaire
Dancing on the Pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have them on my Volpe, the ones with the little mudflaps, I can painted them to match the color of my bike.

Corsaire
Old 11-14-04, 06:01 PM
Anthony King

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Freddy Fenders on my bike. They work fine, but the install was a hassle because I have disc brakes. On the front fender I had to use pliers to bend the support so that I routed it around the brake. I think I was pretty lucky and I have no confidence I could do it again without mangling the support. On the back I only used 3 of the 4 supports, ditching the one that would have needed to be bent around the brake-it works fine and is stable. The fenders do their job. I haven't tried the SKS, but I hear they are very good. I went with the Freddy's because they were easier to order.
Old 11-14-04, 07:36 PM
Robbykills
Hi. I'm in Delaware.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think they'll be a big problem for me, I'll be mounting them to a brakeless track bike.
Old 11-14-04, 08:21 PM
MLJim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a pair of Freddy Fenders to put on a mountain bike that I use for commuting. I still don't have the front fender on yet because it has no eyelets for mounting fenders and has fat tubes for shock absorbers. I've got a design thought out for a clamp I can make, but I haven't made the trip to the hardware store yet. I think I will need some aluminum about 1/2 inch wide and 1/16 inch thick.

I'm happy with the rear fender. I'm also happy with the Planet Bike policy of donating a portion of their profits to bicycle advocacy. I hope they can stay in business doing that.
Jim
Old 11-15-04, 08:16 AM
DanFromDetroit
Bike Happy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have these on my VanDessel. They work reasonably well for me. The only thing that I could add is that the plastic these things are made of gets quite brittle with time and cold. I should replace my rear fender because it has some cracks in it from a winter wipeout, instead I just filled the cracks with epoxy as a temporary solution.

Dan
Old 11-15-04, 10:10 AM
mikdes

Bikes: 2003 Jamis Nova - commuter setup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just installed a pair yesterday. It was pretty easy. Although I haven't ridden with them yet, they appear as though they'll provide good protection and seem quite secure.
Old 11-15-04, 10:10 AM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i have the Freddy Fenders and I also had to bend the supports around the disc brakes. But they work and look great!
Old 11-15-04, 10:18 AM
markw
Steel is Real.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DanFromDetroit
I have these on my VanDessel. They work reasonably well for me. The only thing that I could add is that the plastic these things are made of gets quite brittle with time and cold. I should replace my rear fender because it has some cracks in it from a winter wipeout, instead I just filled the cracks with epoxy as a temporary solution.

Dan

I wonder how the SKS fenders will last? They're an aluminum/plastic bonded fender. Supposed to be pretty tough.
Old 11-15-04, 10:33 AM
Stubacca

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have a set of Freddy's on my commuter (Surly Cross-Check). No complaints so far, but then I haven't tried any other brands recently either. Mounting was easy, and they were simple to adjust for more clearance when I put the knobby tires back on, too.
Old 11-15-04, 11:28 AM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by MLJim
I bought a pair of Freddy Fenders to put on a mountain bike that I use for commuting. I still don't have the front fender on yet because it has no eyelets for mounting fenders and has fat tubes for shock absorbers. I've got a design thought out for a clamp I can make, but I haven't made the trip to the hardware store yet. I think I will need some aluminum about 1/2 inch wide and 1/16 inch thick.

I'm happy with the rear fender. I'm also happy with the Planet Bike policy of donating a portion of their profits to bicycle advocacy. I hope they can stay in business doing that.
Jim
Hey MLJim I had the same problem. For a quick fix I put on those little plastic straps(the ones that come with the odometers) and tighten around the front forks. Well 2 years later they are still going strong. Charlie
Old 11-15-04, 11:31 AM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I have 2 commuters and use bothtypes, Freddys and SKS. Freddys were easier to put onto the bike but both seem to function and wear the same. Also I like the name Freddy Fenders. Charlie
Old 11-15-04, 11:41 AM
Corsaire
Dancing on the Pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by balto charlie
I have 2 commuters and use bothtypes, Freddys and SKS. Freddys were easier to put onto the bike but both seem to function and wear the same. Also I like the name Freddy Fenders. Charlie
My Freddys were customized and spray painted, here's parked inside the bldg. at work,
Corsaire
Old 11-15-04, 11:54 AM
nycm'er
militant commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I highly recommend the full coverage Hardcore Freddy fenders. I have had them on 4 bikes now, and have given them as gifts as well. They dont always mount effortlessly. But they are so worth it. About all that gets wet are your feet and I feel they are as wet as if you walked the distance you just rode. I have found the fender material very durable. I had to cut the fender to make it fit around a road bike fork, but they are not designed for that application and still worked well. Zip ties normally solve most problems with mounting.
Old 11-15-04, 12:24 PM
tacomee

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Freddy fenders, (and most other Planet Bike products) are close to perfect for commuter bikes. Strong enough to last a while, cheap enough to replace when they get broken. SKS fenders are nice as well-- they cost only a little more.