Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best Television Network for Cycling Coverage???

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-04, 05:57 PM
RON8O
Cycling Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All!

Is OLN the best network for cycling coverage? or are there premium channels that can be added on? similar to SPEED for anything speed related (cars, motorcycles, airplanes, etc)

So...what is THE BEST network for cycling coverage?

gracias,
Ron
Old 07-30-04, 06:01 PM
J-McKech
What?

Bikes: Bianchi Brava(retired), Surly Instigator(retired)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OLN is the ONLY channel I know of that covers cycling. CBS has a recap show on sundays at odd times. Not really worth watching
Old 07-30-04, 06:04 PM
RON8O
Cycling Rookie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HammerTheHill
OLN is the ONLY channel I know of that covers cycling. CBS has a recap show on sundays at odd times. Not really worth watching
HTH, I noticed that about CBS and how they only had two (or was it a total of three) hours of coverage for the ENTIRE Tour de France.

If anyone has any additoin insight on networks that televise cycling let us know!

Thanks,
Ron
Old 07-30-04, 06:34 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've seen Oxygen or maybe it was WE cover women's bike races in the past.
Old 07-30-04, 07:54 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OLN is it. I saw SportsCenter's TdF recap: a 6 minute bit that was all Lance and never mentioned any other rider. I never saw anything on Fox Sports South, even though George Hincapie calls Greenville, SC home. If NASCAR hadn't taken the 25th off, the TdF would have been buried on the 4th page of the Sports section and a 30 second bit on SportCenter.
Old 07-30-04, 08:21 PM
collegeskier

Bikes: Felt F5, Fuji Robaix Pro and a KHS Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The CBS coverage was horible. I think you got as much from OLN's comercials as from cbs even with Phil and Paul. BTW if you have talked to anyone that watch CBS's coverage let them know that there were actually 188 people in the race and not just one.
Old 07-30-04, 10:37 PM
RON8O
Cycling Rookie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by collegeskier
The CBS coverage was horible. I think you got as much from OLN's comercials as from cbs even with Phil and Paul. BTW if you have talked to anyone that watch CBS's coverage let them know that there were actually 188 people in the race and not just one.

I'll admit, I"m a TOTAL ROOKIE when it comes to cycling. In fact I don't even own my own bike yet, but it's a damn shame that an event like the TdF doesn't get more coverage. I am thankful that OLN at least covered the TdF as much as they did, but I still think they missed something (as mentioned by the other postings in this thread).

I am a fan of Lance's, based on what I know of him, and what I see as he rides. Having said that, I am a bit disappointed in the fact that they didn't interview other riders. They talked to George Hincapie and even Floyd Landis a bit, but NOT a few times a day like they did with Lance. In addition to interviewing the other US Postal boys...what about the other guys in the tour? I would have loved to seen/heard an interview with Thomas Voekler, or any one else for that matter.

What was the guys name who did some of the "Expedia Travelogue's." He always wore those silver sunglasses (Oakleys?), spiked like dark hair, and a goatee of some sort. He was pretty damn funny in the segment he did on the French language.

BTW, I'm always interested in hearing from other riders with suggestions on how a newbie like myself can/should get started in this sport. I know that buying a bike is a good start, but I must save up the cash first. In the meantime, I am gathering as much info as I can.

Ride safe all,
Ron
Old 07-31-04, 07:05 PM
Flaneur

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ron.......

read up a little and ask at your local shop about sizing of frames. Get a bike from a yard sale. Ride and enjoy. Worry about the flash bike when the (financial) time comes.
Old 08-01-04, 12:03 AM
TXCiclista

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Fenix SL, 2008 Trek 1500, 1998 Diamondback Apex

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best place for cycling coverage is www.worldcycling.com and order the DVD Seriously though, OLN is great for the larger events (Giro, Tour (and the Vuelta last year)) but the smaller races (Classics, etc) suffer. WorldCycling often has a good selection and decent prices too. Got the '99 and '00 8-hour TdF DVDs for $65 shipped. You might also see if your LBS will let you rent their videos. Some do, but the offering can be a bit scarce. Also, eBay can be a good source for videos (got the '01 and '02 10-hour DVDs for about $30 each). I know it ain't live, but they certainly help during the winter...
Old 08-01-04, 12:05 AM
RON8O
Cycling Rookie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flaneur
Ron.......

read up a little and ask at your local shop about sizing of frames. Get a bike from a yard sale. Ride and enjoy. Worry about the flash bike when the (financial) time comes.

Flaneur,

Now that is the first suggestion I've had like that, and a VERY GOOD ONE if I must say so. I will definitely start keeping my eyes open for cheap bikes at the local garage/yard sales.

Your comment on frames brings another question to mind. Manufacturer frames are all different in dimensions, aren't they? in other words, a Trek 54cm frame won't be the same fit as a 54cm Specialized frame. I'm such a rookie!!! This number is only the stand-over height if I'm remembering correctly, this doesn't account for the length of the top bar, thus causing a potential "reach" problem to the bars.

I know I'm WAY overthinking this, I just need to get down to the local shop to talk to the people there.

Thanks much all,
Ron
Old 08-01-04, 06:35 PM
TXCiclista

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Fenix SL, 2008 Trek 1500, 1998 Diamondback Apex

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ron,
I got started with a '00 model Trek 2000 off of eBay for $300. I've added about $150 I general maintenance and component replacements. In the past 13 months, I've put 2,300 miles on it and have gotten to the point that I don't really feel like upgrading. Heck, I have one of the top-of-line bikes from just a few years ago, and it's holding up well. Consider this type of approach. I just kept an eye on eBay auctions and found one that worked for me. Also, if you catch it at the right time, Performance regularly has 20% off coupons (they have one now) and their mid-level road bike (with a good groupo) is about $700 shipped AFTER the coupon (if you sign up for Team Performance, you also get free 2nd-day shipping and 10% back to spend with them). This can be a good way to get in too and I've heard the bike is solid. Your LBS will have to assemble it a bit, but I imagine they could do that for under $100...

PS My understanding is that, for the most part, a 54 cm frame will be relatively standard across the manufacturers depending on how they measure the 54cm...