Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

greyhound with a bike?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

greyhound with a bike?

Old 08-16-15, 12:49 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
greyhound with a bike?

I bought a ticket for tuesday, but I've found little information on bicycles. According to their website, I just check it in, and pay no extra fees. It seems too good to be true, and based on word of mouth, my understanding of greyhound is that it's a little dodgy and ghetto. The local greyhound station is at a gas station, not an actual station like amtrak. Is everything taken care of by the driver? I just show up with my bike in a box and my panniers? what am I missing?
Old 08-16-15, 08:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Consider: meet the bus @ that stop a few days before the trip, ask the drivers?

& if the place is a regular stop , the people that work in the store at the fuel station should have information.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-16-15 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-16-15, 08:30 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Can you post the link to the bike info you are talking about. I can't find it.

https://www.greyhound.com/en/tickets...formation.aspx

Last time I check about taking a bike with me on Greyhound [in Canada] the bike had to be shipped separately at a significant cost, boxed and they would not guarantee it would arrive at the same time.

Last edited by vik; 08-16-15 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-16-15, 08:40 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Having done many miles on the dog, I can say, "don't do it". I could tell you many stories but the one that sticks to mind is the one time they change the route and told no else down the line! Got dumped off in the bad side of town in the Northern part of the state. No one cared. I was told the next bus was going to be the morning. (The connect bus didn't run any more.) Great!! i had to make some q
Old 08-16-15, 08:46 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Sorry about that...computer problems. I had to make some quick calls (in the middle of night.) Very late that night, I got to where I was going. I was later told that some folks had to sleep on the sidewalk and if anything happen to them, well tough luck. The dog doesn't care about you and never will.
Old 08-16-15, 12:11 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
Can you post the link to the bike info you are talking about. I can't find it.

Last time I check about taking a bike with me on Greyhound [in Canada] the bike had to be shipped separately at a significant cost, boxed and they would not guarantee it would arrive at the same time.
Greyhound baggage restrictions:
  • One (1) piece of baggage is checked free of charge for adults and children. One (1) additional piece of baggage may be checked for a charge of $15 for adults only. Baggage carried beyond two (2) pieces will be charged based on Greyhound Package Express Baggage Service rates. One (1) small bag up to 25 pounds can be taken on board for each adult or child. Carry-on bags must fit in the overhead compartment or under your seat.
  • The maximum allowable weight for checked baggage is 50 pounds per individual piece of baggage. A charge of $30 - $40 (depending on the distance traveled) will be charged for any baggage above the 50 pound limit.
  • Baggage must not exceed 62 inches when adding the total exterior dimensions of the piece (length + width + height). A charge of $30 - $40 (depending on the distance traveled) will be applied to any baggage above the 62-inch limit.
    • Packaging exceptions will only be made for the following items: bicycles, skis and ski poles must be packed in wood, canvas or other substantial container, and securely fastened; towing equipment must be enclosed in rigid containers or wrapped in a strong material such as canvas and securely strapped or tied. Towing equipment is limited to 100 pounds actual weight. These items are not exempt from oversize charges.
  • If bags exceed maximum size and/or weight, customers must ship the item via Greyhound Package Express.
Old 08-16-15, 03:07 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
ok the place I'll be boarding at is a package express, meaning I'll have to ship the bike. the quote for the shipment is between $70 to $90, depending on the weight. Is this service on time and reliable?
Old 08-16-15, 03:50 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
ok the place I'll be boarding at is a package express, meaning I'll have to ship the bike. the quote for the shipment is between $70 to $90, depending on the weight. Is this service on time and reliable?
The fact that the stop is a Package Express stop does not typically mean you have to go with Package Express. My understanding is that Package Express is supposed to be using the bus as a shipping service when you are not riding as a passenger. You should still be able to just check the bike as baggage if you are travelling on that bus. I say "should" because the dog is always an adventure and you seem to get a different story at every station. Once here in Tallahassee a friend was told that they didn't take bikes at all (his was boxed up). After a bit of pleading his case they relented, loaded the bike, and let him board.

When I have ridden the dog I have sat next to drunks, just released convicts, and other "interesting" people. As I said it is always an adventure and I have mostly stopped using the dog.

"Take the Greyhound
It's a dog of a way to get around
Take the Greyhound
It's a dog gone easy way to get you down"
Harry Chapin "Greyhound"

Old 08-16-15, 04:59 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Greyhound is a company that's still being run like it's 1948, but they don't realize that and their infrastructure has crumbled and/or disappeared. Personally I've have some fun adventures using their service, but my last experience was pretty bad. My checked bicycle arrived a day later than me after they messed up a transfer. The saddest part was they lost the tracking and had no idea where it was. It did finally arrive and in perfect condition but a day late. Not sure if I'll use them again.

Last edited by BigAura; 08-16-15 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-16-15, 06:59 PM
hilltowner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I dealt with Greyhound during the last two summers' tours. Once from Montreal to White River Jct., VT and again from Kingston, ON to Sault Ste. Marie, ON. Both times I took the bike with me (in a box), when it was loaded and unloaded from the luggage compartment (except transferring in Toronto where it got loaded in a "Package Express" trailer due to more limited cargo space because of a handicap lift on that particular bus.) Both required an extra fee of ~$30.00 CN. Since the trips all originated in Canada I can't say how it would have been if I'd picked up the bus in the U.S. but there were no problems on either of those rides.

Last edited by hilltowner; 08-16-15 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-16-15, 07:28 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Going by years of responses here, Greyhound can be a hit or miss with a bicycle. Drivers who are too lazy to make room for your boxed bike with the luggage, inconsistent policies etc. As for the bus stations, we get it, it's not going to be in the [strike]white[/strike] nice part of town, they are trying to gentrify my closest stop (Columbia) by making the station move to the [strike]black[/strike] poor part of town so they can build condos for the growing university.
Old 08-16-15, 07:33 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My take.
Old 08-16-15, 09:38 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Long ago I took Greyhound (not w/bike) on a long east-coast trip that transferred at NYC Port Authority station. Had a bunch of boxes & suitcase & didn't trust local personnel at all to automatically transfer luggage so I watched 'em load the stuff into the next bus. Then at (IIRC) DC station I had to relay stuff from bus parking spot thru station, only moving things as far as could maintain eye over.

OTOH train & plane personnel give all sorts of bad info/service so buses may not be all that bad. Bus station might not be in nicest neighborhood but airports often far out of town w/limited bike access. Bus station might be more convenient if one needs a bike box or something. & one meet more interesting folks on buses, have chatted with a pharmacist, biker dude & a newly-discharged Army vet tripping on LSD.
Old 08-16-15, 11:07 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Why would you need to send it Package Express? As long as it is under 50 lbs. and in a reasonable size bike box it should be acceptable as a checked bag unless you have more than one other bag that you want to check (I've always only had the bike as checked baggage and my other things as carry-on). But a regular size bike won't fit in the specified 62" (L+W+H) limit so you may have to pay the oversize fee (depends on the whim of the driver).

In theory any checked bag should automatically be transferred to your next bus if your trip involves a change of busses. But that doesn't always happen and I've found it best to watch the luggage being unloaded and verify that your bike makes it to the right bus on time. I've sometimes ended up taking the bike box over to my next bus personally when it appeared that it would be left behind otherwise.
Old 08-17-15, 07:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsblake
As for the bus stations, we get it, it's not going to be in the [strike]white[/strike] nice part of town, they are trying to gentrify my closest stop (Columbia) by making the station move to the [strike]black[/strike] poor part of town so they can build condos for the growing university.
The Philly bus station is not in a bad or black or white or poor part of town. It's in Chinatown, a half block from the PA convention center and this awesome place:

Home - Reading Terminal Market
Old 08-18-15, 08:26 AM
SurlyLHT26in08
Banned.

Bikes: Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a ticket for tuesday, but I've found little information on bicycles. According to their website, I just check it in, and pay no extra fees. It seems too good to be true, and based on word of mouth, my understanding of greyhound is that it's a little dodgy and ghetto. The local greyhound station is at a gas station, not an actual station like amtrak. Is everything taken care of by the driver? I just show up with my bike in a box and my panniers? what am I missing?

it is the best to google a bike shop on google maps and call them to ask if you can ship your bike to the bike shop ahead of you by UPS or FedEx ground!!!
Old 08-18-15, 08:29 AM
SurlyLHT26in08
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
Greyhound is a company that's still being run like it's 1948, but they don't realize that and their infrastructure has crumbled and/or disappeared. Personally I've have some fun adventures using their service, but my last experience was pretty bad. My checked bicycle arrived a day later than me after they messed up a transfer. The saddest part was they lost the tracking and had no idea where it was. It did finally arrive and in perfect condition but a day late. Not sure if I'll use them again.

Greyhound Buses are new with WI-FI and U/L Plugs outlets
Old 08-18-15, 09:39 AM
BigAura

Originally Posted by SurlyLHT26in08
Greyhound Buses are new with WI-FI and U/L Plugs outlets
Maybe hyperbole, but here's what a modern bus company looks like.
Old 08-18-15, 09:46 AM
SurlyLHT26in08
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
here is the new greyhound bus and I get greyhound bus on 9-14-2015 from Myrtle Beach, SC to
Oceanside, CA (Homebase) no bike with me!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
greyhound-bus.jpg (96.0 KB, 110 views)
Old 08-18-15, 09:59 AM
BigAura

here is the new greyhound bus and I get greyhound bus on 9-14-2015 from Myrtle Beach, SC to
Ok, that's a nice looking bus, and if they upgraded all their buses and other infrastructure to match I'd be back "on-board" as a customer. For now I'll more than likely be using the smaller upstarts when it works.
Old 08-18-15, 09:32 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by indyfabz
The Philly bus station is not in a bad or black or white or poor part of town. It's in Chinatown, a half block from the PA convention center and this awesome place:

Home - Reading Terminal Market
Once stayed in Philly to see the pro race & got a great dinner from vegetarian Chinese restaurant there. Philly is a great food town.
Old 08-19-15, 05:02 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Once stayed in Philly to see the pro race & got a great dinner from vegetarian Chinese restaurant there. Philly is a great food town.
Was it Charles Plaza by any chance?
Old 08-19-15, 05:06 AM
indyfabz

It's what you encounter inside that's important.
Old 08-19-15, 03:16 PM
mikeonthemadone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When it comes to Greyhound, one word: DON'T.
Old 08-19-15, 09:05 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Was it Charles Plaza by any chance?
I'm not sure, I see just now that Charles Plaza is now closed, but photo of exterior seems similar to my memory. Well there's still the New Harmony Vegetarian Restaurant which is well reviewed. Chickie's Deli (South Philly) makes an impressive Veggie Hoagie (w/eggplant & broccoli rabe), it's not just a lame afterthought like many veg subs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.