Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Diamondback Century 3 (2028) - opinions welcomed

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Diamondback Century 3 (2028) - opinions welcomed

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-18, 09:06 AM
Johnicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Diamondback Century 3 (2018) - opinions welcomed

I was looking at a Century 3 Diamondback for about $1K.
I'm an intermediate cyclist, no competitions, just for fun and exercise. Any and all advise welcomed.

Last edited by Johnicycle; 08-03-18 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-03-18, 11:56 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
I advise you post a picture of what bikes a decade into the future look like!
wait- wait- dont post anything if all bikes in the future have motors attached. Dont spoil it and make me depressed for a decade.

As for the Century 3- thats a really good bike for $1000 in the present day. Tough to buy more for less, thats for sure. Well spec'd at that price.
Old 08-03-18, 02:05 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Assuming you mean the 2018 since the 2028's aren't out yet, they cost $1050 brand new on the DB website if you get the code and sign up for an account. Good price for that bike. I have the Podium E'Tape with the same HED Flanders wheelset. They are actually very nice wheels. Someone else weighed theirs and they were less than 1700g. It doesn't say it in the spec's but the spokes are double butted, not straight gauge. I was pleasantly suprised because now I have no need to upgrade them, they're more than nice enough. And on those rims my 25c Conti tires measure 28. Not sure if it's because of the rim width or if the tire just runs big.
Old 08-03-18, 04:37 PM
Johnicycle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Assuming you mean the 2018 since the 2028's aren't out yet, they cost $1050 brand new on the DB website if you get the code and sign up for an account.
Yep, that's where I saw it 😊

Good price for that bike. I have the Podium E'Tape with the same HED Flanders wheelset.
I was looking at the E'Tape, also, but they didn't have my size.

They are actually very nice wheels. Someone else weighed theirs and they were less than 1700g. It doesn't say it in the spec's but the spokes are double butted, not straight gauge.
I'll need to Google that to educate myself, not sure what the diffrence is.
I was pleasantly suprised because now I have no need to upgrade them, they're more than nice enough. And on those rims my 25c Conti tires measure 28. Not sure if it's because of the rim width or if the tire just runs big.
Good stuff, thanks!

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I advise you post a picture of what bikes a decade into the future look like!
wait- wait- dont post anything if all bikes in the future have motors attached. Dont spoil it and make me depressed for a decade.
Lol. Right? Everything has got a motor on it these days, scooters, skateboards... People are.going to start looking like the people in the movie Wall•E. Lol

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
As for the Century 3- thats a really good bike for $1000 in the present day. Tough to buy more for less, thats for sure. Well spec'd at that price.
Awesome, thanks for the feedback, guys. Much appreciated!
Right now I have a Trek 7200 and a Univega Viva Sport from the 1980's I believe.

Last edited by Johnicycle; 08-03-18 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Fix quotes.
Old 08-03-18, 05:53 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnicycle
I'll need to Google that to educate myself, not sure what the diffrence is.
Butted spokes are lighter and ride smoother. They're thicker on the ends and thinner in the center. They're also stronger, they can bend more before they snap. Straight gauge spokes are heavier and stiffer. Except for high end bikes, most come stock with heavy lower end wheelsets with straight gauge spokes.
Old 08-03-18, 07:48 PM
Johnicycle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Butted spokes are lighter and ride smoother. They're thicker on the ends and thinner in the center. They're also stronger, they can bend more before they snap. Straight gauge spokes are heavier and stiffer. Except for high end bikes, most come stock with heavy lower end wheelsets with straight gauge spokes.
Ahh, ok. Got it.. must be why the spokes on my Trek 7200 were popping on me. Had to replace both wheels in a matter of weeks of eachoeach .