Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wheel off 2mm in seat stay....ok?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-18, 09:47 AM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts

Hello and happy summer, (or winter to those below the equator). I just bought a very slightly used Giant Anyroad Comax, (composite frame), and after installing brand new wheels and wider tires, I notice that the rear wheel seems to sit about 2mm closer to the right seat stay, at the top edge. The wheel seems to be centered just fine in the chain stays though. The bike came with 32mm tires, and I probably wouldn't have even noticed the issue had I not put on 38mm tires. The larger tires and its closeness to the seat stays make the 2mm difference evident. Is 2mm something to get worked up about?

From my research I see that some recommend seeing if the wheel is properly dished, by simply installing it reversed and observing if it becomes offset 2mm in the other direction. I think I'd have to remove the rotor to do that, but does it make sense that the wheel could need redishing but still could be straight in the chain stays? I'd think that if the wheel needs to be redished it would be offsett in both the seatstays and the chainstays.

Any other ideas? The bike seems to ride and shift just fine.
Old 08-04-18, 10:18 AM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hmm, did you buy the wheels at a shop?

The advice to flip the wheel is surely meant as a mere test and shouldn't require you to do anything with the free hub. Just flip the wheel and put it back and see if it's moved the other direction. Honestly, 2mm doesn't SOUND like a big deal if the tires are not rubbing, but it does sound like something I could obsess over... Therefore I think I'll not take the ruler to Fritz for fear of falling down THAT rabbit hole unless some of the wiser and kinder amongst us weigh in.
Old 08-04-18, 10:24 AM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by DanBraden
Hmm, did you buy the wheels at a shop?

The advice to flip the wheel is surely meant as a mere test and shouldn't require you to do anything with the free hub. Just flip the wheel and put it back and see if it's moved the other direction. Honestly, 2mm doesn't SOUND like a big deal if the tires are not rubbing, but it does sound like something I could obsess over... Therefore I think I'll not take the ruler to Fritz for fear of falling down THAT rabbit hole unless some of the wiser and kinder amongst us weigh in.
Hi Dan. The wheels are from Hunt, shipped from the UK. To flip the wheel I think I'd need to remove the cassette (not as I wrote, the rotor,) because I think the cassette wouldn't clear the disk brakes. But here's the thing, how could the wheel need re-dishing, be crooked in the seat stay, but still straight in the chain stay? The wheel doesn't wobble.

Last edited by Wattsup; 08-04-18 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-04-18, 10:36 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I think you should be fine with 2mm, especially as this is a disc brake bike. If the rim is true and there are no handling issues then I’d ride it as is.

Old 08-04-18, 10:39 AM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think the advice intends for you fully install the wheel when you "flip it" but only to see if the offset moves to the other side. Literally just putting it in, clamping it down and seeing if the offset has moved. Few wheels are designed to be flipped AND ridden.

EDIT: Ah, the disc brakes, right! Now I see the conundrum! Apologies for my confusion

Last edited by DanBraden; 08-04-18 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-04-18, 08:40 PM
Wattsup

Thanks everyone for the responses.
Old 08-04-18, 08:53 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Maybe it's the frame and not the wheels.
Old 08-04-18, 09:02 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
If the rotor has even clearance while spinning the wheel & the chain alignment is tracking true, id not fret over it... Unless you can find cracking paint that might point to a cause of the spacing indifference.
Old 08-05-18, 06:48 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
First things first. How sure are you that the axle is fully bottomed in the dropout on both sides?
Old 08-05-18, 08:23 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
Maybe it's the frame and not the wheels.
Sounds like it to me too, the frame is twisted after an incident on the road or was out of true straight from the factory.
Old 08-05-18, 08:43 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
So far good advice. It is a composite frame, in other words mostly carbon fiber, so there is no way it got twisted on the road. I could believe it happened at the factory if it isn't the wheels being properly dished.
Old 08-05-18, 06:07 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
First things first. How sure are you that the axle is fully bottomed in the dropout on both sides?
I'm pretty sure. I really took my time several times to check out that possibility.
Old 08-07-18, 10:19 AM
Wattsup

Thanks, sounds like good advice if do decide to straighten it. At this point I'll probably just leave it as it is.
Old 08-07-18, 10:30 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
If you've eliminated axle seating and dishing as a cause, it's possible that the wheel is straight but that the layout of the rear triangle isn't exactly symmetrical. I've noticed this in a couple of frames recently, particularly those with disc brakes. IMO, frame builders these days ensure that the wheels, seat tube and down tube are all aligned to the same plane. Frame builders are less concerned about the seat and chain stays meeting the front triangle at precisely the same location as that's largely aesthetic and has no bearing on the performance of the frame. As a result, chain stays and seat stays can vary a bit from each other. If it bothers you, redishing the wheel slightly is a 10 minute fix and will work fine given it's a disc bike.