Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

26" Frankenbike gravel build... just because I could.

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

26" Frankenbike gravel build... just because I could.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-18, 06:10 PM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I have had the rust issue on another blued bike before around the BB where water pooled and have in the past used spray lacquer and epoxy clear coat. The lacquer seems too fragile but the clear coat appears good. However, I find spraying a bike after lots of rubbing to create a patina to be wrong some how. Just me maybe.

Looking for a more natural alternative I've just finished a vintage rebuild to experiment with boiled linseed oil as a protective coating and am really happy with that result. I intend to treat this frame with it pretty quick.
BLO is an interesting idea. A lot easier than anything that spray on since you could just wipe it on, and not as messy as something that stays oily (once it cures).
Old 11-17-18, 07:20 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by bdooner
I'm confused. Your answer re paint removal makes sense. It's what I would have done. However the question included anodizing removal. I don't see paint stripper accomplishing that.
It kind of does and doesn't, depending on the finish/quality. For some bits I had to score the coating with the wire wheel and then stripper and other bits came right off with just stripper. It's a bit of experimenting.
Old 11-17-18, 07:23 PM
Happy Feet

Here's a link to the BLO inspired rebuild thread in the FG/SS forum: https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespe...onversion.html
Old 11-19-18, 01:29 AM
Happy Feet

Took the bike out for a ride today to see how it performs.

The area I visited is called Pitt Addington, an agricultural tract at the base of Pitt Lake that includes dikes and a large bog.

The ride started off nice along groomed dikes

And then up a rough rural road passed fields of Blueberries and Cranberries.

This led to more dikes but now with grassy ruts instead of groomed gravel.

and then some single track.

And then back along dikes again to the start - with a slight detour.

All told, 47Km's of mixed surface riding. Bike worked great, though there were some washboard sections that had me wishing for just a wee bit of suspension.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 11-19-18 at 01:38 AM.
Old 11-19-18, 07:32 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
This project is so awesome that I will overlook the stem shifters

Seriously good stuff, here.
Old 11-19-18, 08:34 AM
jrbz

Bikes: 3 Kona 2 Rocky Mtn 1 Bianchi 1 Miele 1 Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Awesome project, beautiful work. Would appreciate future updates on how the bluing treatment holds up to wet riding. I have a couple of old beaters that I could try this on.

Thanks, J
Old 11-19-18, 11:18 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Great bike and a very entertaining write-up. Thanks for taking the time to take and post all those pictures as well.
Old 11-21-18, 01:29 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
@bdooner - anodizing can be removed with Easy Off oven cleaner. Don't leave it on too long, about 15 min.
Old 11-21-18, 01:49 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by SJX426
@bdooner - anodizing can be removed with Easy Off oven cleaner. Don't leave it on too long, about 15 min.
Good tip. I'm going to experiment and see how that goes on the brake levers.
Old 11-21-18, 02:25 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
@Happy Feet - We, C&V crowd, use it all the time to remove anodizing of any sort. Usually to add bling to a part that has a lot of rub on it, plus for parts that need filing and polishing to get rid of road rash, like levers.
Old 11-22-18, 09:29 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
One of the more remarkable before/afters I've seen. Very cool build. I glanced at my well-worn Raleigh once or twice after looking at the new finish on yours, thinking "hmmmmm..."
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 11-27-18, 10:03 PM
efleigh89

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love the build. I'm a big fan of the converted older mtb's.
Old 03-06-19, 05:25 PM
Happy Feet

A final update on the build.

I've been riding this bike for a while and it is one of my new favorites due to its simplicity.

I wanted to do a couple of last minute touches and wound up swapping out the rear cassette while I was at it.

The external cables along the top tube tend to slap a little and were scratching the finish so I bought some Gorilla Grip clear duct tape and applied it along that part of the tube. MEC sells a similar frame saver product for $39/1m https://www.mec.ca/en/search2?text=clear%20frame%20tape&org_text=clear%20frame%20tape but the whole roll of this was $10/8.2m and can do a number of bikes https://www.homedepot.ca/product/gor...ape/1000762658

I also wanted to finish the bar tape with an organic looking product (rather than tape) and tried some Jute twine top coated with French Schellac. It should dry darker but I'm so so about the rough texture. Hummm... If I don't like it I'll cut it off and go with hemp cord. Also added a different bell and put the thumbie under the bar so the top of the cockpit looks bare.

Lastly, I swapped out the cassette. Originally a stock 7speed 13/28 I tried a SunRace 7speed 11/34 which was great. But then I read about a SunRace 8speed 11/40 cassette and with the help of my bike mechanic friend figured out how to change the hub body to turn a 7 speed into an 8 speed. The derailer and thumb shifters were both compatible.

I think that's it. A fun minimalist 1x 26r for cheaps.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 03-06-19 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-08-19, 07:07 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
26 inches of fun

Graveler goes to nyc

Lake mohawk NJ

Lmcc golf
Old 03-08-19, 09:02 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
I have had the rust issue on another blued bike before around the BB where water pooled and have in the past used spray lacquer and epoxy clear coat. The lacquer seems too fragile but the clear coat appears good. However, I find spraying a bike after lots of rubbing to create a patina to be wrong some how. Just me maybe.

Looking for a more natural alternative I've just finished a vintage rebuild to experiment with boiled linseed oil as a protective coating and am really happy with that result. I intend to treat this frame with it pretty quick.

Great project - very creative with the gun barrel bluing and stencils!

Re: boiled linseed oil....this is also a good idea. Before cars were manufactured using double-sided galvanized steel, road salt was a car body killer. To combat this my father and I would thin BLO with turpentine and then use a simple spray bottle to apply it to the inside of doors, the entire underside of the car, brake lines, gas line, suspension parts, etc. It would drip and smell for about a week, but then form a protective shell - worked well especially after a few applications.

How did you apply the BLO and were there any issues with drips, etc.?

Thanks.
Old 03-08-19, 09:43 AM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by jlaw
Great project - very creative with the gun barrel bluing and stencils!

Re: boiled linseed oil....this is also a good idea. Before cars were manufactured using double-sided galvanized steel, road salt was a car body killer. To combat this my father and I would thin BLO with turpentine and then use a simple spray bottle to apply it to the inside of doors, the entire underside of the car, brake lines, gas line, suspension parts, etc. It would drip and smell for about a week, but then form a protective shell - worked well especially after a few applications.

How did you apply the BLO and were there any issues with drips, etc.?

Thanks.
Thanks

Re the BLO. I painted it on using a brush and left it but it dried to thickly and created wrinkles. I think I got carried away and tried to create one thick coat instead of several thinner coats. To correct I re wetted the area and wiped it thinner. The next experiment will be painting again by brush but then wiping off the excess with a lint free cloth.
Old 03-08-19, 09:57 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Thanks

Re the BLO. I painted it on using a brush and left it but it dried to thickly and created wrinkles. I think I got carried away and tried to create one thick coat instead of several thinner coats. To correct I re wetted the area and wiped it thinner. The next experiment will be painting again by brush but then wiping off the excess with a lint free cloth.
I think you are correct - several thin coats would work best. It self-levels pretty well and perhaps, if thinned, a basic Home Depot spray bottle would atomize it enough to give a satisfactory finish.

I have a high-pressure sprayer that would certainly atomize it, but there could be safety issues re: volatility and static electricity - and cleaning the sprayer would create more mess.

Very cool bike - you have given some BF members a chance to copy and/or build upon your ideas.
Old 03-08-19, 11:36 AM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Great post. Thanks.