Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Cycling and statin drugs

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Cycling and statin drugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-18, 07:24 AM
avmech

Bikes: 2003 Trek 5200, 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2018 Trek Domane SL 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In 2011, at 55 years old, was 256 pounds, total cholesterol around 300, high blood pressure. Started with a dietician, lost 56 pounds, hit the gym 3 times a week, rode my bike vigorously almost every day anywhere from 20 miles to 35 miles, in the best shape ever, blood pressure was actually on the low side. June 2012 had a heart attack at the gym, 3 stents in my RCA. Blood work that day had my cholesterol at total 130, LDL at 79, HDL at 34, triglycerides around 120. High cholesterol runs on my mom’s side, heart disease runs on my dad’s side. Of course cardio put me on atorvastatin, 10 mg, metoprolol, Plavix, and an ace inhibitor. Took me off the ace inhibitor after a few months and off Plavix after a year. Still on the statin and the beta blocker. Also taking CoQ10. My energy levels and endurance have been in the basement since the heart attack, cardio keeps harping on the statin and beta blocker. I decided to take them ever other day instead of every day, my numbers have not really changed, have more energy and endurance since I started every other day, as a matter of fact my cardio visits are now every year instead of every six months. My end goal is to get off those two drugs completely, doubt it will happen with the blessing of the docs.

There are ways of beating high cholesterol without pills. Diet included certain meats and fats in limited quantity, had to watch out for wheat, etc and eat whole grains instead, lots of vegetables, very little sugar, etc.
Old 12-15-18, 01:00 AM
Orroadie

Bikes: 2006 Bianchi Vigorelli (steel)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alternative Day Dosing of Statins and Cycling performance

A while ago, mid summer 2018, I was posting about my experiment with taking statins on alternate days and how it affects my cycling. I have taken 10 mg Simvastatin (Zocor) for 10 years on a a regular, daily dose, and now at 67, have started to feel fatigue and some muscle aches that got worse when I would push myself while cycling. In retrospect, statins are noted to cause this effect when combined with intense aerobic exercise, I think I felt some effects when I was younger, but it was less noticiable. But not it's gotten to the point where I feel like I am limited. Not only do statins affect how i feel on a ride, especially when going up hill or pushing it, it's been documented that statins affect mitochondria, the energy producers within our cells, and as a result, we do not gain conditioning as well when compared to not taking statins. I think this is true. Not only do I cycle on statsins but also do rowing, and noticed its affects there as wells: fatigue, muscle pain, and achiness upon exertion. I decided to go on alternate day dosing, early summer, and everything changed. The day following an off day, I did not experience fatigue or pain with exertion - I felt like I was 10 years younger - no muscle aches, I could push it up hill, and felt good. I noticed the same effect while rowing - my times are faster with no real pain, other than that due to normal exertion. If you are wondering what you give up by going on alternate day dosing, the answer is not much. My cholesterol was 103 (ldl) / 164 (total) while taking statins daily, and 110 (ldl) / 191 (total) on alternate day dosing. The key here is the LDL number, which is most correlated to the progression of arteriosclerosis and heart disease. Isn't it better to be motivated, feel good, and get better aerobic conditioning than feeling fatigue, unmotivated and not being able to fully benefit form exercise, even if you give up a few points of LDL cholesterol? Hope this helps those with the same challenge. Over 50% of men over 55 are on statins, so this is a prevalent issue that many older athletics are dealing with.
Old 12-15-18, 01:11 AM
Orroadie

Bikes: 2006 Bianchi Vigorelli (steel)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I noticed the same positive affect when going on alternate day dosing. You can reduce cholesterol and actually reverse heart disease on a fairly strict plant based diet.
Dr Caldwell Esselstyn pioneered his diet - no meat, fish, oils, nuts, or dairy. An alternative to that rather severe diet would be to stay on alternate day dosing and a modified plant based diet. I don't have heart disease and I'm 67. There is new evidence (2017 study in Circulation) that indicates that statins and keeping LDL cholesterol to 100 or less reduces the probability of heart disease by 28%. Good luck