Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Tubular Tire designed for trainer riding?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-19, 09:33 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts

I mainly want to use my available bike on the the trainer and it has tubular wheels. I'd like to buy a mid to low priced tubular with some decent mass and butyl innertube to put on the rear wheel. Not have to reinflate every 3 days, lots of wear in it, et cetera. I have a solo straggler Servizio Corse and a lonely leftover but NOS 1980s Michelin tubular. Either one might jump for joy if I give it the job, but is anything on the market speciaized for trainer riding? The Michelin feels rubbery, while the Servizio feels like a tire, for whatever that's worth.
Old 01-01-19, 09:53 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I mainly want to use my available bike on the the trainer and it has tubular wheels. I'd like to buy a mid to low priced tubular with some decent mass and butyl innertube to put on the rear wheel. Not have to reinflate every 3 days, lots of wear in it, et cetera. I have a solo straggler Servizio Corse and a lonely leftover but NOS 1980s Michelin tubular. Either one might jump for joy if I give it the job, but is anything on the market speciaized for trainer riding? The Michelin feels rubbery, while the Servizio feels like a tire, for whatever that's worth.
the Heavier the better I would say. Tufo’s are tough from what I hear. Not sure if the Gatorskin belt would reduce wear on rollers/trainer or not but Conti Sprinter Gatorskin tubular might be worth a try.

another thought is to purchase some used low mileage tubulars from eBay (with decent base tape) for 10$ each or less and ride them till they self destruct....

one final thought ugh if you can handle the noise - run some cyclocross tubies on there. The tread knobs will make a racket but could provide some cooling effect & thus not shred quite so quickly as a slick.