Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Data sites, programs etc.

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Data sites, programs etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-18, 01:53 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Too complicated. I just subscribe to Training Peaks and plug my Garmin into it on a regular basis.
ACWR (acute: chronic workload ratio) has been mentioned and Training Peaks demonstrates a very successful application of it. It's what I use also, except that besides Garmin data, I plug in my Polar watch data from all my other activities. Well almost all my other activities. I also take my morning resting and standing HRs and my morning HRV. The calculations in TP sync well with my morning observations. My training stress balance (TSB) in TP has been -25 for a few days, and sure enough, my HRV is down though my morning HR observations don't show much strain yet. So I can keep at it for a couple more days before my scheduled recovery days.

The great thing about TP is that it doesn't matter if you're on the trainer, outdoors, swimming, running, whatever. It's all just data that TP swallows and then spits out understandable results.

To see training results in the Performance Management Chart (PMC), you need to have a Premium account, which is currently $119/year. Totally worth it even on my limited budget. If you want results, this sort of software will help you get them, and if you're reading this, results are probably what you're after.

I should mention that while TP does track one's HR and power results, they're not really what TP is built to track. TP tracks your training itself. The results of your training are expressed as fitness and training readiness scores. The twin objects of the game are to increase your fitness and to be ready for major workouts or events. Using TP has completely revolutionized my training. I'd been regulating my training using books and canned training plans for about 20 years, all of which produced indifferent results with too much variation.

As @caloso says, it doesn't take any effort on your part. You just plug your equipment into your computer and out comes the result, no effort at all.

The issues expressed in post 25 are trivial. TP takes care of all of that for you.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 11-29-18 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-30-18, 11:24 AM
fstrnu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The issues expressed in post 25 are trivial. TP takes care of all of that for you.

Sorry but IELR is easily the most widely used and practical method of load management for all endurance sports, including cycling, and the smart trainer's ability to control external load under controlled conditions simply takes its reliability, sensitivity and accessibility to another level.

I don't blame disciples of anything for advocating something that makes themselves more relevant but suggesting that other methods are invalid is just silly and embarrassing.
Old 11-30-18, 04:14 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by fstrnu
There's no more precise or practical way to understand the relationship between effort and power than how the body responds to fixed power indoors under controlled conditions.

Fixed power means there's nothing to normalize so indicators of fitness, fatigue and endurance are far more sensitive and reliable.

If you want to know how many times you can lift 100 lbs, you don't lift 50 lbs and then 200 lbs and then 90 lbs and so on. You lift 100 lbs.

Single intensity workouts enable clear same/more/less comparisons based on time as well as zone validation. 36 minutes of threshold is more than 30 minutes of threshold. Stress indices are irrelevant.

Same internal load for more external load, less internal load for same external load, less internal load for more external load and so on is referred to as indicator disassociation and useful for inferences on training status, i.e. improvement/fatigue/decline (see reference above).

Additionally, disassociation among internal load indicators, i.e. RPE, HR, cardiac drift, is indicative of fatigue because fatigue can suppress heart rate. Cardiac drift also reflects degree of fatigue accumulation and dissipation (PB Science + reproducible by anyone).

Cardiac drift (the more reliable fixed power equivalent of aerobic decoupling), is also an indicator of endurance, can suggest proper endurance workout duration for adequate stimulus, and indicate readiness for higher intensities / next phase of training (Training Peaks/Hunter Allen/Joe Friel).
Ever heard the phrase "missing the forest for the trees"?

Yeah. Your posts epitomize that phrase.

You genuinely don't seem to understand what the end game here actually is..
Old 12-02-18, 08:09 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Sorry but IELR is easily the most widely used and practical method of load management for all endurance sports, including cycling, and the smart trainer's ability to control external load under controlled conditions simply takes its reliability, sensitivity and accessibility to another level.

I don't blame disciples of anything for advocating something that makes themselves more relevant but suggesting that other methods are invalid is just silly and embarrassing.
I didn't say "invalid" nor did I say "methods." I said the issues were trivial, meaning that they are easily handled with no effort by computer calculation and a variety of software. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Old 12-03-18, 10:42 AM
fstrnu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No worries. You are wrong, of course. The data I'm talking about needs to be interpreted by the human brain and include consideration for context and athlete individuality.
Old 12-03-18, 03:57 PM
rubiksoval

No worries. You are wrong, of course. The data I'm talking about needs to be interpreted by the human brain and include consideration for context and athlete individuality.

Still waiting to hear about all of the results from this program. Either yours or the people you've coached.

Just crickets so far. Not much to validate anything you're saying, especially when you've made grievous mistakes describing both physiology and training methodology in previous threads.

So why should anything you're posting about this training be considered valid or useful in any way? Genuinely curious now that everyone else is apparently "wrong". The proof is in the pudding, right?
Old 12-04-18, 07:08 AM
fstrnu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What program?
Old 12-04-18, 03:53 PM
rubiksoval

What program?
https://www.bikeforums.net/training-...nightmare.html

Apparently the one you're making up as you go along.
Old 12-05-18, 07:04 AM
fstrnu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a great post, but don't see how it has anything to do with this topic.
Old 12-05-18, 03:42 PM
rubiksoval

That's a great post, but don't see how it has anything to do with this topic.
The nonsense posited there is the same nonsense you're pandering here.
Old 12-06-18, 09:18 AM
fstrnu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's not very specific. I've noticed your responses to my posts have devolved into transparently hostile and general personal attacks about my life history and never about any single point I make. Doesn't paint you in the best light. You might be better served by blocking me unless you honestly think you are adding value by policing these forums which would be very sad indeed.
Old 12-06-18, 03:56 PM
rubiksoval

That's not very specific. I've noticed your responses to my posts have devolved into transparently hostile and general personal attacks about my life history and never about any single point I make. Doesn't paint you in the best light. You might be better served by blocking me unless you honestly think you are adding value by policing these forums which would be very sad indeed.
I've been very specific. I've addressed a number of your points. Multiple times. I've repeatedly asked you to back up any of your claims or assertions. You have the unfortunate habit of ignoring all of those points, presumably because you don't understand them.

I have no interest in blocking you. I do, however, have quite an interest in valid discussions concerning methodology and physiology. You've repeatedly called people ignorant, lazy, and in this thread "wrong" for using standard, validated training programs and software. You assert that people that use Zwfit are ignorant, lazy, and wrong, yet you think I'm being hostile?!!?

It's a discussion. Address the points being discussed. Or continue to obfuscate and deflect and showcase how nonsensical your entire premise is.
Old 12-07-18, 07:30 AM
fstrnu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More broad generalizations. Nice job. You can continue to generally slander me all you want but I'm sure the community would rather read constructive comments.
Old 12-07-18, 12:16 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

More broad generalizations. Nice job. You can continue to generally slander me all you want but I'm sure the community would rather read constructive comments.
Most users of this forum come here to learn, not to argue. That's a good model. Really, the only post you needed to make in this forum was the one you just put up in the sticky. See, you also have learned. Then follow that post up with your results. Many posters have done exactly that over the years. That's interesting. Arguing is not interesting. Business plans are exceptionally uninteresting. This is not where one makes presentations to investors, to say the least.

Ask yourself: what results have I gotten from using this forum and how could I improve those results? That's the basis of any training plan. whether for a dog, your legs, or your head.
Old 12-07-18, 01:28 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
oops, wrong thread reply
Old 12-07-18, 10:19 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by redlude97
oops, wrong thread reply
I'm sorry.
Old 01-28-19, 01:57 PM
davidtinker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have developed a free, easy to use (supposedly!) website intervals.icu to help with cycling training, specifically intervals. It downloads rides from Strava. You do need to use a power meter for at least some of your rides but then it will estimate training load from heartrate for non power rides and other activities.
Old 01-28-19, 02:07 PM
Fatikngage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I can't figure out why your not already on TP or GC. Why not?
hmm