Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

The Great Ride Video

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

The Great Ride Video

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-19, 07:26 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
But LOTS of bugs
@alan_S more thinking about the bugs. Mosquitos love me. I would like to ride it sometime and hammock camp along the way. Tree options out there along the C&O to camp at?

do you think that wtb byways would be enough tire for the C&O or should i get something with more tread?

Last edited by RidingMatthew; 03-29-19 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-29-19, 02:37 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
@alan_S more thinking about the bugs. Mosquitos love me. I would like to ride it sometime and hammock camp along the way. Tree options out there along the C&O to camp at?

do you think that wtb byways would be enough tire for the C&O or should i get something with more tread?
Plenty of trees at probably all hiker/biker sites for hammocks. I usually ride with 2.35” or 60mm Big Apples, which have minimal tread, but lots of shock absorbing volume. The towpath is completely flat, other than the small elevation changes at the locks, so traction is not needed, and any kind of tread will only create more rolling resistance. If you do happen to encounter mud puddles, just ride straight through the center in the deepest part. You’ll find it’s only a couple inches deep, but there is good traction and your tires will remain relatively mud free. As far as bugs are concerned, depending on the time of year, you’ll get clouds of some kind of harmless bugs, tons of mosquitos and spiders. Mostly daddy long legs, but I got a nasty bite on the arm once. Never even saw the spider. A good bug repellent will keep the mosquitoes at bay, and glasses will keep most of the swarming bugs out of your eyes. You’ll probably inhale one or two until you learn to keep your mouth shut.
Old 03-29-19, 02:42 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by djb
I dunno, but the whole mosquitoes and Hogwarts Express sleep depriving stuff just ain't doing the sales job for me folks.
Bug spray and ear plugs are your friends.
Old 03-29-19, 03:00 PM
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Not sure about camping alone in the open with earplugs in.
Old 03-29-19, 04:34 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitkraft
Not sure about camping alone in the open with earplugs in.

Why? Do you think there are psycho killers roaming the bike path at night? Ear plugs or not, you are not going to hear them coming.

And how does it help to be in a group. if everyone is wearing ear plugs?
Old 03-29-19, 07:48 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
On the GAP trail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1180420_dtable_01.jpg (1.56 MB, 84 views)

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-29-19 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-29-19, 07:49 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s

Bug spray and ear plugs are your friends.
grew up canoe camping in Canada eh, but so far on all the bike trips I've done, have been pretty lucky, not terrible bugs, but then one person's ok is another person's nightmare.....

trains close would still be pretty bad I reckon, would depend on when and how often.
I'm an old guy who really appreciates a good sleep
Old 03-29-19, 07:57 PM
Mitkraft

Why? Do you think there are psycho killers roaming the bike path at night? Ear plugs or not, you are not going to hear them coming.

Being murdered hadn’t even really entered my mind so much as robbed, assaulted, or found by a less than friendly animal. Just doesn’t seem smart at all to turn off your senses completely when out exposed like that.
Old 03-29-19, 08:00 PM
djb

showing my age here, but immediately thought of this

https://youtu.be/O52jAYa4Pm8
Old 03-29-19, 10:01 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
showing my age here, but immediately thought of this

https://youtu.be/O52jAYa4Pm8
I like it and I am going to offer this version from the Stop Making Sense video.

Old 03-30-19, 01:17 AM
alan s 

Here are some pictures from my commute home today. Not sure why, but they are restoring the area around Lock 11. Kind of neat to see what the canal probably used to look like when new.

Old 03-30-19, 04:18 AM
djb

Originally Posted by skookum
I like it and I am going to offer this version from the Stop Making Sense video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM9SHDNAbPw
Is that from the movie? I remember going to the movie in I think 85 or 86 but don't remember the specifics other than it was pretty neat.
Old 03-30-19, 05:51 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Thanks

Originally Posted by alan s

Plenty of trees at probably all hiker/biker sites for hammocks. I usually ride with 2.35” or 60mm Big Apples, which have minimal tread, but lots of shock absorbing volume. The towpath is completely flat, other than the small elevation changes at the locks, so traction is not needed, and any kind of tread will only create more rolling resistance. If you do happen to encounter mud puddles, just ride straight through the center in the deepest part. You’ll find it’s only a couple inches deep, but there is good traction and your tires will remain relatively mud free. As far as bugs are concerned, depending on the time of year, you’ll get clouds of some kind of harmless bugs, tons of mosquitos and spiders. Mostly daddy long legs, but I got a nasty bite on the arm once. Never even saw the spider. A good bug repellent will keep the mosquitoes at bay, and glasses will keep most of the swarming bugs out of your eyes. You’ll probably inhale one or two until you learn to keep your mouth shut.
thanks so much great information here. I just have to figure out how to handle the logistics of parking at one end and riding to the other.

“The how to get back to the beginning question. “

Train 🚊 or 🚘car or shuttle or something.
Old 03-30-19, 07:16 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Mitkraft

Being murdered hadn’t even really entered my mind so much as robbed, assaulted, or found by a less than friendly animal. Just doesn’t seem smart at all to turn off your senses completely when out exposed like that.

You need to stay home then where is is safe. Wearing or not wearing earplugs while sleeping is not going to change any of that.

And I don't see how having someone along is going to change anything unless you share standing guard all night.

Aside from an animal you don't have anything to worry about. Even then you have nothing to worry about unless you are dumb enough to leave food in your tent or where they can get at it.

To avoid animals then just get a room.

Last edited by spinnaker; 03-30-19 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-30-19, 07:55 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

thanks so much great information here. I just have to figure out how to handle the logistics of parking at one end and riding to the other.

“The how to get back to the beginning question. “

Train 🚊 or 🚘car or shuttle or something.
I prefer riding from Pittsburgh toward DC. Though I have never done it the other way. But if you are just doing the GAP, the best way might be from Cumberland to Pittsburgh. You can park in Cumberland for free and the train leaves Pittsburgh at a reasonable hour. The problem there would be getting to the station on time. You could leave Dravo REALLY early and meet it or stay in the hostel in Mckeesport or get an expensive room downtown. I don't usually recommend riding the trail at night, due to drug/gang activity in Mckeesport and Duquense but I think that early in the morning you should be OK.

You can also leave your car at a police station. Mckeesport allows it and I think Robinson does too. I am sure others would allow it, if they have he space and if you call.

If you are doing the whole thing, one option would be to rent a car at both ends. You can drop the rental car at the Pittsburgh airport and ride the Montour Trail from the airport to the GAP.

Trains are a PITA with schedule but I think it still beats driving or a shuttle.

P.M. me if you need help at the Pittsburgh end.
Old 03-30-19, 10:08 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

I prefer riding from Pittsburgh toward DC. Though I have never done it the other way. But if you are just doing the GAP, the best way might be from Cumberland to Pittsburgh. You can park in Cumberland for free and the train leaves Pittsburgh at a reasonable hour. The problem there would be getting to the station on time. You could leave Dravo REALLY early and meet it or stay in the hostel in Mckeesport or get an expensive room downtown. I don't usually recommend riding the trail at night, due to drug/gang activity in Mckeesport and Duquense but I think that early in the morning you should be OK.

You can also leave your car at a police station. Mckeesport allows it and I think Robinson does too. I am sure others would allow it, if they have he space and if you call.

If you are doing the whole thing, one option would be to rent a car at both ends. You can drop the rental car at the Pittsburgh airport and ride the Montour Trail from the airport to the GAP.

Trains are a PITA with schedule but I think it still beats driving or a shuttle.

P.M. me if you need help at the Pittsburgh end.
thanks so much Spinnaker I have ridden the GAP from Cumberland to Pittsburgh I want to do the C&O from Cumberland to DC. Hard to find a rental or way to get from Dc to Cumberland if I leave car in DC. Such options and not seems simple or economical.
Old 03-30-19, 12:22 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

thanks so much Spinnaker I have ridden the GAP from Cumberland to Pittsburgh I want to do the C&O from Cumberland to DC. Hard to find a rental or way to get from Dc to Cumberland if I leave car in DC. Such options and not seems simple or economical.
That's easy then. Drive to Cumberland and park. Take the train back. It will get to Cumberland at a decent hour for the drive back home. Do you research on parking in Cumberland but there are free places.
Old 03-30-19, 01:36 PM
alan s 

There is free parking under the highway bridge at the start of the towpath in Cumberland. I think it is monitored by the people who operate the train station (the tourist one, not Amtrak), so you may want to give them a call for the latest info.
Old 03-30-19, 03:48 PM
Mitkraft

Oh good grief, whatever Einstein. I bow to your superiority in all things cycling and safety.

All I did was suggest maybe earplugs weren’t the smartest thing in such situations. Get a grip.

You need to stay home then where is is safe. Wearing or not wearing earplugs while sleeping is not going to change any of that.

And I don't see how having someone along is going to change anything unless you share standing guard all night.

Aside from an animal you don't have anything to worry about. Even then you have nothing to worry about unless you are dumb enough to leave food in your tent or where they can get at it.

To avoid animals then just get a room.
Old 03-30-19, 09:41 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Thanks for posting the video link. We watched it last night..very well done. This trail has been on my list for a while.

I'm guessing late summer or early fall (drier, maybe fewer bugs) is the best time to ride GAP/C&O complete? My first thought is after Labor Day..first couple weeks in September sometime. (We'd be mixing camping with motels..) How would October be? I'm in Wisconsin..I think you have milder weather and a longer fall than we do.

Following up on the transportation logistics.. I'm doing my research but any suggestions would be appreciated..

Plan 1) Drive to Pittsburgh, drop off bikes and gear someplace, then drive to DC(end of C&O) and park the car. Are there any places somewhat close to the C&O end(or uptrail close to the end) where I could park? What are the transportation options back to Pittsburgh? Amtrak? Do shuttles exist? One way rental car is an option..($$) Are there any bike-friendly lodging options near the end of the C&O, or uptrail from the end?

Plan 2) A split option.. Drive to Pittsburgh, drop off bikes and gear someplace, then drive to Cumberland and park (as you've mentioned). Get transportation back to Pittsburgh and start riding. When we reach Cumberland, get transport with bikes&gear to DC/end of C&O. Visit DC a bit & then ride back to Cumberland. Any ideas on transport from Cumberland to Pittsburgh(no bikes or gear)? Transport from Cumberland to DC(with bikes/ear)?

Is there a "typical way" people do both trails (with respect to transportation)?

thx..

(If anyone needs any info about the 4-trails tour Bike 4 Trails I can help..send a PM. It's just 100 miles, but very scenic)
Old 03-31-19, 10:29 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

You would be welcome to store your gear in my shed or my garage. If you did not want to risk me not being home then you could probably just lock it up under my deck, under a tarp and doubtful anyone would touch it.

One option is to just park in downtown Pittsburgh and take Amtrak one way or the other. It would be expensive but cheaper than getting a room downtown. Thought some people get a room at the Spring Hill Suites on the southside and they give them a deal on parking. There is a new hotel Hotel Indigo that is in the same area just across the river that might give the same deal.

Or you could just drive to South Bend and use the Capital Limited to and from. You could take the Hiawatha from Milwaukee to Chicago but probably a lot simpler to drive to South Bend. You would likely have a better chance of finding cheap or free parking there too.

If you decide to take an overnight train consider springing for at least a roomette.

Regardless what you do, you should consider staying a night in Pittsburgh. There is a lot to see here, including our bicycle museum which is supposed to be the largest in the world.
Old 04-01-19, 10:20 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Spin..thank you for the storage offer and suggestions..I'll add them into the mix of options. I did some additional research over the weekend..I figured BF would have some historical info, but I didn't realize the volume of info available here on the GAP/CO. ..and thx for your patience with my questions as I now realize there are many, many, many ways to go about riding these trails. As we get closer I may be in touch with specific questions.
Old 04-01-19, 10:16 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
...I don't usually recommend riding the trail at night, due to drug/gang activity in Mckeesport and Duquense...
Wait, what? I must have missed that part of the video where they talked about the gangs and drugs.

-Kedosto
Old 04-01-19, 10:33 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by Kedosto

Wait, what? I must have missed that part of the video where they talked about the gangs and drugs.

-Kedosto
If you camp there, earplugs will keep you blissfully unaware of your surroundings.
Old 04-02-19, 12:04 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Kedosto

-Kedosto

And why are you quoting me out of context? Why don't you post the full quote?

The trail goes right through Mckeesport and Duquense. Mckeesport and Duquense have very high crime rates. I believe that Mckeesport has been given a higher crime rate than Detroit recently. It is not advisable to ride that section of trail at night. I would not ride any of the trail at night that is in the city.

Last edited by spinnaker; 04-02-19 at 12:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.