Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Changing from freewheel to cassette

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-19, 11:36 PM
fisherprice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hello everyone. ive just recently started mountain biking so I purchased a 21 speed genesis terrain. I will say I don't have my experience on bike maintenance but I have about 200 miles on it so far and I was having trouble adjusting my rear derailleur so I purchased a new one. as I was attempting to adjust it I noticed my rear axle was bent so I purchased a new one as well. well I mounted and adjusted everything and took it for a ride today. but only after 2 miles my bike started making a lot of clacking noises. after looking at everything I noticed my axle was bent again. I did some research and from what I gathered was that a freewheel was prone to bending the axles very easily so it was suggested that I switch to a cassette. if I change to a cassette do I have to change anything else on my bike to accommodate this change?
Old 07-03-19, 07:26 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
You have to get a rear hub that will accept a cassette.
Old 07-03-19, 07:31 AM
grubetown

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
I don’t know where you are researching or who suggested this change, but IMHO freewheel vs cassette won’t impact your bent axles. There are probably other reasons this is happening.
Old 07-03-19, 08:12 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I agree with grubetown. Freewheel bikes have been used successfully for many years under tougher conditions then most of us will ever use. So there is something else wrong. Might be as simple as an out of square axle or a bent frame.

I would bring the bike to a local shop and have it check it out. They may have the parts to fix your old freewheel, or might suggest going with the more modern cassette unit. In which case they will need to replace the hub. I don't think it is a major job for a knowledgeable mechanic with the right tools. Just make sure they fix the problem before installing a new cassette, Or you will likely have the same problem with that.

A new wheel like Leebo points in the next post might be your best bet. Between the labour to replace a hub and the parts, The cost might be close anyway. Again make sure they fix the problem first if it's not the wheel. While you're at it get a matching pair. This is a good time to change tire sizes if you wish too.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 07-03-19 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-03-19, 08:14 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by grubetown
I don’t know where you are researching or who suggested this change, but IMHO freewheel vs cassette won’t impact your bent axles. There are probably other reasons this is happening.
There is a reason any mt bike over say $ 300 has a cassette. Freewheels are not so good for the rigors of mt biking. OP will need a whole new rear wheel. Look for an older but good quality used mt bike.
Old 07-03-19, 11:23 AM
fisherprice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it
Old 07-05-19, 02:42 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
only a few Freewheel hubs used a super strong axle.. Phil wood, made some, but they were Expensive ..

may be time to step up to a new bike .. now you know the trade offs to get the price low..

freewheel bike can get street tires and stay on the road.. go shopping and other uses..

I have an old bike with freewheel - drum brake hubs, it wears studded tires, parked till required..