Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Revival of a long defunct marque.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Revival of a long defunct marque.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-19, 10:24 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
The bike shop itself doesn't really have much in it. It is but one of several locations they ran the bike business out of, and the only building still standing in Dayton that they operated in. ...
The Dayton shop is located next door to the aviation museum, and the tour is conducted by the museum staff.
Agreed, I was there in 2017, not a lot to the shop, but worth a quick visit. The museum is worthwhile too. But if you're interested in aviation, save most of your time for the Air Force museum at Wright Patterson AFB just out of town, huge, with pretty much everything ever flown or launched. Spent most of a day there in 2017, then spent another day there this past April, not sure we've seen it all.

My one question about the Wright bike shop - they sell t-shirts, but why not cycling jerseys? I would have bought a Wright Bros jersey.
Old 07-03-19, 05:14 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,392 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
For a while I was under the spell of many of Pashley's offerings, including the Guv'nor... Then as I learned more about the early twentieth century bicycles that the current lineup is supposedly inspired by, I realized how modern the vision behind the new bikes actually is... Very little semblance of what actually was, and much more of a facade created by trends such as those you mention, like Victorian steampunk. Now I wouldn't dream of owning any Pashley bike - especially because all of the 24.5" models, which is my ideal frame size, have silly double top tubes that would have typically been reserved for even larger or workhorse frames.

Marketing follies abound, even among the venerated!

-Gregory
Everything they sell is just an unimaginative ripoff of every single noteworthy English bicycle ever made: The Roadster, Briton, Princess, Britannia and Poppy are copies of the Raleigh DL-1 and DL-1L. The aptly-named Parabike and Tube Rider are non-folding copies of the BSA Airborne Folding Paratrooper Bicycle. The Clubman is...the Raleigh, Humber, and BSA Clubman. The Guv'nor and Speed 5 are every racing bike made before 1938. The Countryman is the Raleigh Sports, minus a proper chainguard (!).

That leaves the Pathfinder, Roadfinder, and Pashley-Morgan for any originality, and the former two are simply generic modern touring bikes distinguished by lugs and level top tubes (VERY welcome). The Pashley-Morgan is without a doubt unique as a bicycle...but it's really just the geometry if an old motorcycle copied onto a bicycle.

If they ever built a folder, you know it'd be a Raleigh Twenty or Moulton ripoff (though the Twenty ripoff has already been done - three times).

As cynical as this sounds though, I'm happy they exist. They have their niche, and that's to be the one source for a brand new English bicycle of your choice from an era long gone, and we definitely need KOF's. If I had to buy a new commuter right now, I'd be getting a Countryman over anything else on the market.

-Kurt

Old 07-04-19, 08:24 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
I could easily see more of a market for that sort of product than what they're turning out. Plus, bring out a line of period correct cycling clothes (not that difficult a venture, currently if you want to do American Civil War it's almost not worth doing your own kit - you can just buy the stuff easily - unless, of course, you're one of those 'thread perfect' types).

Would give tweed rides a whole new look.
Huzzah!

NJ Sekela

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 07-05-19, 09:09 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
Agreed, I was there in 2017, not a lot to the shop, but worth a quick visit. The museum is worthwhile too. But if you're interested in aviation, save most of your time for the Air Force museum at Wright Patterson AFB just out of town, huge, with pretty much everything ever flown or launched. Spent most of a day there in 2017, then spent another day there this past April, not sure we've seen it all.

My one question about the Wright bike shop - they sell t-shirts, but why not cycling jerseys? I would have bought a Wright Bros jersey.
My experience patrolling the area of the bike shop/national park, giving directions and talking to people told me 98% of them were airplane buffs and didn't ride a bicycle. Unscientific to be sure but the question I was asked most often was something to the effect of "What did you do to deserve being assigned to a beat on a bicycle?".
Old 07-05-19, 11:00 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Here's what they need to do.

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/...-france-stage/

Courtesy of @MarcoBianchi

Last edited by merziac; 07-05-19 at 12:07 PM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 07-05-19, 01:07 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
THAT is incredibly impressive.

I've always been surprised that there's no competent frame builders out there who are making a career (marque?) on making copies of turn of the century bicycles. You'd think there'd be enough of a market out there for at least one or two individuals to make something of it.

Or am I just weird in having a desire to actually be able to ride a '90's - '10's bicycle on a daily basis?

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 07-05-19, 01:33 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
THAT is incredibly impressive.

I've always been surprised that there's no competent frame builders out there who are making a career (marque?) on making copies of turn of the century bicycles. You'd think there'd be enough of a market out there for at least one or two individuals to make something of it.

Or am I just weird in having a desire to actually be able to ride a '90's - '10's bicycle on a daily basis?
Nothing weird about it, but with custom frames from the builders capable of doing it already in the $$$$$$$ category, something like these would be even more stratospheric in cost, labor intensive design, totally from scratch, ground up tooling, parts and pieces no premade cookie cutter technique to be used. It would be exscruciating even for the most capable of builders.
Old 07-05-19, 04:43 PM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Everything they sell is just an unimaginative ripoff of every single noteworthy English bicycle ever made: The Roadster, Briton, Princess, Britannia and Poppy are copies of the Raleigh DL-1 and DL-1L. The aptly-named Parabike and Tube Rider are non-folding copies of the BSA Airborne Folding Paratrooper Bicycle. The Clubman is...the Raleigh, Humber, and BSA Clubman. The Guv'nor and Speed 5 are every racing bike made before 1938. The Countryman is the Raleigh Sports, minus a proper chainguard (!).

That leaves the Pathfinder, Roadfinder, and Pashley-Morgan for any originality, and the former two are simply generic modern touring bikes distinguished by lugs and level top tubes (VERY welcome). The Pashley-Morgan is without a doubt unique as a bicycle...but it's really just the geometry if an old motorcycle copied onto a bicycle.

If they ever built a folder, you know it'd be a Raleigh Twenty or Moulton ripoff (though the Twenty ripoff has already been done - three times).

As cynical as this sounds though, I'm happy they exist. They have their niche, and that's to be the one source for a brand new English bicycle of your choice from an era long gone, and we definitely need KOF's. If I had to buy a new commuter right now, I'd be getting a Countryman over anything else on the market.

-Kurt
Pashley is actually an old British bike manufacturer from when all old British bike manufacturers were making bikes like that though. Look through their 30's catalogs and you will find the typical roadsters and clubman cycles. Admittedly the fork crowns are suspect and just thimbles short of being Raleigh knockoffs. Unoriginal maybe, but the same could be said about retro anything. Pashely did actually build folders after it acquired Cresswell, and worked with Moulton to produce some frames for them. They're also basically responsible for the current production of Reynolds 531 since as far as I know, they are the only company that mass produces 531 frames.
Old 07-05-19, 06:11 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,392 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuromori
Pashley is actually an old British bike manufacturer from when all old British bike manufacturers were making bikes like that though. Look through their 30's catalogs and you will find the typical roadsters and clubman cycles. Admittedly the fork crowns are suspect and just thimbles short of being Raleigh knockoffs. Unoriginal maybe, but the same could be said about retro anything. Pashely did actually build folders after it acquired Cresswell, and worked with Moulton to produce some frames for them. They're also basically responsible for the current production of Reynolds 531 since as far as I know, they are the only company that mass produces 531 frames.
Won't debate that - they really are the last and only survivor that hasn't strayed from the classic formula, and that's fantastic. But they don't make any effort to hide idea pilfering - that fork crown, especially.

Even their Hire Bike looks like a copycat (not that every other docked bike doesn't look similar), complete with typical British overcomplication added on: Who thought a chain tensioner was a good idea on a docked share bike that'll get treated like yesterday's garbage?

I'm glad Pashley exists, but I wish they weren't such a by-the-numbers copycat.

-Kurt