Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

NBC & Tour De France 2019 Coverage

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

NBC & Tour De France 2019 Coverage

Old 07-10-19, 05:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Dominae
Lance has zero credibility. By interjecting his worthless opinions into the broadcast the Tour coverage loses all credibility as well. He epitomizes everything that is wrong with sports. Just go away.
I watch it on dvr, and he's the epitome of why fast forward was invented.

if I had to interview this guy, pretty much every question would be about the logistics of how he cheated. "So is this the point in the warmup where you would sneak out to the trailer?"
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-10-19, 05:33 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I like where this thread is going.
Yep, all roads lead to Lance.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 07-10-19, 06:06 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
If I interviewed Lance I would ask
So why did you start your training so early in the season?
Why did you train specifically on the courses you'd be racing on?
The TDF is the most well known bicycle race in the world, why did you train specifically for it?
Introducing the world to watts and getting the best individual aerodynamic position, do you think it changed pro cycling and how they train?
Were you the only one doping?
Do you think your win at all cost is part of the reason you were so dominant and why people in any endeavor who raised the bar to never seen level have that same drive, like Tiger Woods etc?
How much did you make cycling and how much did you make for your sponsors?
Why do you think viewership of the TDF was highest during your Wins and has steadily waned since?
Finally Lance, for those so Bhurt about you cheating, would you suggest they be their own Hero and stop using athletes because then you would have to scrutinize every athlete and never vote for any politician OR would you remind them it's just entertainment and you were the most entertaining?
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 07-10-19, 06:52 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Grotug
I bought the coverage and I'm happy with it, although I haven't figured out how to cast it to my 55" smart TV, so I've been watching it on my 16" laptop. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to cast it soon! (If it's not possible to cast, then that is a big negative and I would not recommending splurging the $55). I'll let you know if I figure out how to cast.
Plug your laptop into your TV ?
We use an HDMI cable.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 07-10-19, 06:53 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
Moved from General

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-10-19, 07:04 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
I gladly pay the $55/year fee. It allows me to watch many of the Spring classics that are not otherwise covered.

Plus, and this is a big plus for me, no annoying commercials for products that I will never use.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 07-10-19, 07:06 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 445 Posts
I bought the coverage and I'm happy with it, although I haven't figured out how to cast it to my 55" smart TV, so I've been watching it on my 16" laptop. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to cast it soon! (If it's not possible to cast, then that is a big negative and I would not recommending splurging the $55). I'll let you know if I figure out how to cast.
If it's a smart TV, then download the NBCSports App which is the new way you watch your NBC Sports Gold subscriptions. Watch it on the app.

That works on my TV with the Roku OS. Perhaps other smart things, too.

If it's not smart enough, then you can get a chromecast or a Roku stick for a few bucks and sling from your laptop to that gizmo in one of your HDMI ports. Or a cable does old school goodness and simplicity like our brewer suggests.
Old 07-10-19, 07:26 AM
eja_ bottecchia

At age 30, my oldest daughter was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of breast cancer.

She battled cancer like an athlete training for the Olympics.

Having survived cancer and having stared at death in a way that most of us, thankfully, never will my daughter now has a completely different outlook on life.

A fierce competitor pre-cancer, she is even more so now.

Likewise, Lance survived cancer that threatened his life and came back, drugs or no drugs, to do something that no one here in this forum could even dream of doing. It is easy for all the Internet warriors here, and elsewhere, to dump on Lance. But until you yourselves, have endured months of chemo and radiation treatment, the surgeries, and the constant fear that cancer is hiding in some part of your body, waiting to strike back, you have no credibility in attacking Lance. Lance critics are also willfully ignorant of cycling’s rich, and enduring, history of doping.

I don’t particularly approve of what he did to some people. But to regular folks battling cancer Lance was, and still is, a beacon of hope. He did more to bring awareness to cancer research than legions of white-coated doctors.

Count me in firmly in Lance’s camp.
Old 07-10-19, 07:42 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
If it's a smart TV, then download the NBCSports App which is the new way you watch your NBC Sports Gold subscriptions. Watch it on the app.

That works on my TV with the Roku OS. Perhaps other smart things, too.

If it's not smart enough, then you can get a chromecast or a Roku stick for a few bucks and sling from your laptop to that gizmo in one of your HDMI ports. Or a cable does old school goodness and simplicity like our brewer suggests.
Yep, I use an Apple TV connected via Ethernet instead of WiFi. I never stream from a secondary device like a phone or tablet.
Old 07-10-19, 08:34 AM
Spinay70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I appreciate the input! Are you able to go back and watch previous stages at anytime? I am curious if that feature is offered.

Also in response to your casting issue, if your laptop is relatively new, there should be built in feature that allows you to broadcast or mirror your screen to another nearby device. For example, in the settings on my tablet, i can choose Smart View and it will connect to my tv. Your laptop should have a similar function built in, or downloadable.

Spinay70
Old 07-10-19, 08:57 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Spinay70
I appreciate the input! Are you able to go back and watch previous stages at anytime? I am curious if that feature is offered.

Also in response to your casting issue, if your laptop is relatively new, there should be built in feature that allows you to broadcast or mirror your screen to another nearby device. For example, in the settings on my tablet, i can choose Smart View and it will connect to my tv. Your laptop should have a similar function built in, or downloadable.

Spinay70
Yes you can go back and watch previous stages and previous races. I can go back right now and watch the Tour of California in it's entirety right now if I wanted.

As far as casting to a smart TV, you should be able to. I have a Sony Smart TV with an Apple TV, but I can cast directly to the TV without going through the Apple TV if I wanted to. Just google the TV model and "cast" or "stream" and you should be able to find your answer.
Old 07-10-19, 09:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
The TDF is the most well known bicycle race in the world, why did you train specifically for it?
Introducing the world to watts and getting the best individual aerodynamic position, do you think it changed pro cycling and how they train?
Do you think your win at all cost is part of the reason you were so dominant and why people in any endeavor who raised the bar to never seen level have that same drive, like Tiger Woods etc?
Why do you think viewership of the TDF was highest during your Wins and has steadily waned since?
Finally Lance, for those so Bhurt about you cheating, would you suggest they be their own Hero and stop using athletes because then you would have to scrutinize every athlete and never vote for any politician OR would you remind them it's just entertainment and you were the most entertaining?
How about "was it necessary to completely screw over people who were telling the truth about you and committing perjury while doing so?" and "why'd you screw over your first wife so badly?"

You want to worship this vile guy, fine, but he's never been honest about anything so I don't see how that qualifies him to be a commentator.

This isn't a matter of heroes, if I'm listening to an analyst it's because the person has an interesting perspective on the issue. All LA brings to that as opposed to any number of former pros is the best ability to cheat.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-10-19, 10:51 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
This is my first year paying for the NBCSN cycling subscription. I cut cable last year and Tiz-Cycling was getting a little flaky. I like it so far. You have the option of watching a commercial free feed or the regular broadcast show. Both can be watched later at my convenience. Next year I might try Flosports or VPN to Eurosports. They have more races.
Old 07-10-19, 12:37 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
At age 30, my oldest daughter was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of breast cancer.

She battled cancer like an athlete training for the Olympics.

Having survived cancer and having stared at death in a way that most of us, thankfully, never will my daughter now has a completely different outlook on life.

A fierce competitor pre-cancer, she is even more so now.

Likewise, Lance survived cancer that threatened his life and came back, drugs or no drugs, to do something that no one here in this forum could even dream of doing. It is easy for all the Internet warriors here, and elsewhere, to dump on Lance. But until you yourselves, have endured months of chemo and radiation treatment, the surgeries, and the constant fear that cancer is hiding in some part of your body, waiting to strike back, you have no credibility in attacking Lance. Lance critics are also willfully ignorant of cycling’s rich, and enduring, history of doping.

I don’t particularly approve of what he did to some people. But to regular folks battling cancer Lance was, and still is, a beacon of hope. He did more to bring awareness to cancer research than legions of white-coated doctors.

Count me in firmly in Lance’s camp.
It's amazing how some people (kind of like Lance) just seem to lack any morals at all. "I had cancer, therefore it's okay for me to cheat and be a jerk to pretty much everyone in my life."

Oh, and texaspandj, you can stop pretending Lance had some sort of groundbreaking training techniques, or that he worked harder than everyone else. He didn't.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
How about "was it necessary to completely screw over people who were telling the truth about you and committing perjury while doing so?" and "why'd you screw over your first wife so badly?"

You want to worship this vile guy, fine, but he's never been honest about anything so I don't see how that qualifies him to be a commentator.

This isn't a matter of heroes, if I'm listening to an analyst it's because the person has an interesting perspective on the issue. All LA brings to that as opposed to any number of former pros is the best ability to cheat.
Pretty much.
Old 07-10-19, 12:57 PM
Dominae

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint; Cannondale Super X

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts

Lance critics are also willfully ignorant of cycling’s rich, and enduring, history of doping.
Are you serious with this? Yeah it would really be a shame if doping were no longer a part of cycling. I would surely look back longingly on the good old days of cyclists dying from drugs and making a mockery of the record books.
Likes For Dominae:
Old 07-10-19, 12:59 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy

Eneos is the old Sky team for those who may not know.
I didn't know that, I thought Ineos was the old Team Sky. Silly me.
Old 07-10-19, 01:16 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by OBoile
It's amazing how some people (kind of like Lance) just seem to lack any morals at all. "I had cancer, therefore it's okay for me to cheat and be a jerk to pretty much everyone in my life."

Your comment is lacking in logic and, well, I will leave the rest to your imagination.

If you directed that remark at me and at my comments I will tell you this: I will stack my moral values and moral compass against the likes of people like you and I bet you that yours will come up lacking.

Have a good day.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 07-10-19, 01:19 PM
Dominae

Yes by all means ignoring a politician's warts and moral failings in favor of their ability to provide entertainment value worked out so great in 2016.
Likes For Dominae:
Old 07-10-19, 01:19 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Are you serious with this? Yeah it would really be a shame if doping were no longer a part of cycling. I would surely look back longingly on the good old days of cyclists dying from drugs and making a mockery of the record books.
Yes I am. Cycling, and most other sports, have a rich history of doping.

You can do all the gnashing of teeth and hand wringing that you want; history, however, cannot be changed.
Old 07-10-19, 01:23 PM
Dominae

You can do all the gnashing of teeth and hand wringing that you want; history, however, cannot be changed.
No one is suggesting that history can be changed; you might want to learn from it, however.
Likes For Dominae:
Old 07-10-19, 01:27 PM
OBoile

Other people did it, therefore it's okay.

Yeah, you're a beacon of morality.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 07-10-19, 01:30 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
And as the reasoned decision laid out in detail, Armstrong was doing things well beyond the others. It put the lie to the argument that everyone was doing it, though many seem willfully blind to those facts.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 07-10-19, 01:33 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Yeah, you're a beacon of morality.
You have a problem with reading comprehension. Too bad, this could have been an interesting discussion; instead it is just boring posturing and virtue signaling. <YAWNS>

Good luck with that.
Old 07-10-19, 01:34 PM
eja_ bottecchia

No one is suggesting that history can be changed; you might want to learn from it, however.
We could ALL benefit from history's lessons.
Old 07-10-19, 01:56 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by asgelle
And as the reasoned decision laid out in detail, Armstrong was doing things well beyond the others. It put the lie to the argument that everyone was doing it, though many seem willfully blind to those facts.
True. But even if he had "only done what everyone else had done" it still wouldn't be okay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.