Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

“...Frame snaps in half...”

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

“...Frame snaps in half...”

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-19, 08:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Good story, @Steve Whitlach. I'm not looking for a carbon frame, but I know one of these days, a deal too good to refuse will come up, and I will grab it. And I will enjoy it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 07-14-19, 10:00 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
okay, we don't need to see the pic of the guy impaled with the piece of the track, please don't post it any more.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 07-14-19, 11:35 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch

This is my first year on a Carbon bike. It does not need to cost an arm and a leg to have a good one. I picked up a barely used Cannondale Supersix Evo High Mod frameset for $450. I had most everything to build it up in my parts bin. I check it over before each ride. I tell myself that in today`s environment, if Carbon bikes were failing catastrophically, the manufacturers would be out of business from all of the law suits. I see way more Carbon fiber being rode hard than I do vintage steel. Mostly old guys like me riding vintage, only going slow.

I was talked into buying and building the frame by a few different people that said "don`t knock it until you try it". Well I am not knocking it anymore. Do I need it? No! I really only need a Huffy if I went by need. The bike is fun to ride. Smoother than any steel I have owned and handles better too. It really feels like a SUPER BIKE! I really wanted to hate it but I can`t.
I am glad you're enjoying carbon. I do as well! My Ridley Damocles (such a great name) is also incredibly smooth--carbon's ability to absorb vibrations is one of its strong suits as we know--yet playful and responsive. The Damocles does nothing wrong, yet since it is not steel or high-performance aluminum (a la Trek Emonda ALR), it lacks that springy-ness inherent to metal. I want to try newer than 2010 carbon (and such not solely built for the pounding Classics cobble rides as the Damocles is) to see how it fares, though hard to justify in a way when a Land Shark absorbs bumps at near-carbon levels while also feeling springy in the climbs and accelerations out of saddle. The Damocles feels truly bomb-proof and dead stable in all scenarios. And with a frameset 200-300g more than the fly-weight carbon stuff, that certainly makes sense.
Old 07-15-19, 06:49 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
The video from the TdF car shows pretty clearly that the Ineos car ran over the bike and split it in half. The bike was 100% intact before the team car rolls over it. So take that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhC081Llaao&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0__KykLiK2nC4pKj7aVK4yDM3Qt9RRDCS0KhUHZ6gRkOKfJd8O40 KaHTA

Last edited by shoota; 07-15-19 at 02:19 PM.
Likes For shoota:
Old 07-15-19, 06:51 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
I don't know the facts of the OP but regardless, wouldn't stop me from riding a pick of pro caliber road bikes.

Indeed those road frames are ridden by brute riders but the forces and impacts that very light carbon ATB bike frames can take are impressive.

In 1990, I was already beating up an off-road Kestrel CS-X monocoque 26 inch hardtail including carbon flat bar by Aerosport. I assure you, was doing dumb and bold things with that bike. Never, ever had a frame issue.

Today, I have lots of confidence in a modern 29er hardtail, a far lighter carbon monocoque frame but in a complete different lay up. Admit I've bashed and bruised twice on it, the frame though- unscathed.

Old 07-15-19, 07:13 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
The video from the Ineos team car shows pretty clearly that it ran over the bike and split it in half. It's 100% in tact before the team car rolls over. So take that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhC0...OKfJd8O40KaHTA
You can hear the frame snap as the car runs over it.
Old 07-15-19, 08:07 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
!:!

Originally Posted by shoota
The video from the Ineos team car shows pretty clearly that it ran over the bike and split it in half. It's 100% in tact before the team car rolls over. So take that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhC0...OKfJd8O40KaHTA

Thanks for that. The half-second of the video that shows the bike on the ground, intact, post-crash, is the most important contribution to this whole thread. Throws all the pseudo-engineering mumbo-jumbo out the window. (I'm not saying that statements about the properties of carbon-fibre-matrix structures are not correct. I'm just saying that they don't explain the failure of this structure.)

If most of us had seen a photo of any old bike snapped in two, like the photo at the top of the thread, we would have asked, "What happened to that bike? A car run over it?" And sure enough, just as common sense would tell us, the answer was, "Yup!" But for some reason, the default "explanation" when it's a CF bike is, "It must have as-ploded JRA!"

A couple of decades ago, there was an urban legend going around that people could spontaneously combust into ashes. Earnest investigative TV news shows (I think there is an oxymoron in there somewhere) covered the phenomenon with some persistence, showing as "evidence" some obviously faked and staged photos. (This was before PhotoShop.) Oh, and eye-witness accounts, like the ones describing alien abductions. I remember one photo of a small pile of ashes over a burned hole in a hardwood floor, straddling which was an aluminum-framed walker. The elderly victim, using his walker, was said to have gone up in smoke, "just like that." There was no soot (or charred bits of the dear departed) on the walker tubes and the rubber feet, despite standing in contact with the burned floor, were intact. Weirdly, the obvious absurdity of the photos seemed to buttress, rather than debunk, the spontaneous combustion theory. I guess if you have a preposterous lie to spread, the best agent is preposterous evidence. Aside from the understandable motives like insurance fraud or covering up a homicide, it was never clear what drove this whole meme (as I think we would call it today, but there was no Internet then). People just like to believe goofy, bizarre things that seem to prove that "Science can't explain everything, you know..." And feelings trump words which trump numbers. (Please, mods, note the lower-case "t", OK?)

We (and I include myself here, which is why I find @shoota's post so bracing) are too slow to include, "Well, s/he (or it, in the case of a photo) could be lying, you know," as one of the possible explanations for something that doesn't quite make sense but would so totally validate our world view if it were true. If only.
Likes For conspiratemus1:
Old 07-15-19, 10:10 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Good story, @Steve Whitlach. I'm not looking for a carbon frame, but I know one of these days, a deal too good to refuse will come up, and I will grab it. And I will enjoy it.
I concur. All I want to hear is the TDF commentators shouting breathlessly "Rider down! Rider down! His frame has assploded!"
Then I will know they are BF members.
Old 07-15-19, 10:29 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 403 Times in 217 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. The VN article ....
https://www.velonews.com/2019/07/new...o-pinot_496996.

Made no no mention of the car. In total, it says this about the crash.....

“Canadian rider Michael Woods (EF Education First) slid out in a tight right-hand corner, and Thomas crashed over him. Thomas’s Ineos teammate Gianni Moscon (Ineos) crashed as well, snapping his carbon Pinarello bike frame in half.”

It would seem that the article’s author left out a key factor in the frame failure. Application of a load of a few thousand pounds in a manner not anticipated by designers and engineers, even in the extreme scenarios that they are expected to account for, should not reflect on the quality of the frame or the choice of materials. In other words, most things will break when run over by a car.

That said, it is about time to go for a ride so I won’t read any more TDF coverage. I needed that saddle based perspective to try to remain thoughtful.
Old 07-15-19, 11:02 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
Thanks for clearing that up. The VN article ....
https://www.velonews.com/2019/07/new...o-pinot_496996.

Made no no mention of the car. In total, it says this about the crash.....

“Canadian rider Michael Woods (EF Education First) slid out in a tight right-hand corner, and Thomas crashed over him. Thomas’s Ineos teammate Gianni Moscon (Ineos) crashed as well, snapping his carbon Pinarello bike frame in half.”

It would seem that the article’s author left out a key factor in the frame failure. Application of a load of a few thousand pounds in a manner not anticipated by designers and engineers, even in the extreme scenarios that they are expected to account for, should not reflect on the quality of the frame or the choice of materials. In other words, most things will break when run over by a car.

That said, it is about time to go for a ride so I won’t read any more TDF coverage. I needed that saddle based perspective to try to remain thoughtful.
Yeah, unfortunate reporting. You can see in the pic they posted in the article that both bikes were whole. I'm sure it was just a mistake. Enjoy your ride, today's stage was incredible!
Old 07-15-19, 11:38 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
I don't know the facts of the OP but regardless, wouldn't stop me from riding a pick of pro caliber road bikes.

but there are rumors that you enjoy taunting the Grim Reaper and ride a Teledyne titanium frame with the original fork!

of course, you're not a heavy person and probably not putting a ton of miles on that potentially delicate fork, so the risks are not so great.

Similarly(?), modern CF frames are engineered better than the early ones and if you are reasonable, the risks are quite small. I've put over 20k miles on a CF recumbent and it has survived as well as my steel frame bikes. This is just anecdotal evidence, as is most of what has been mentioned in this thread, so it mostly just means that the lethality of CF frames is below 100%.

There is a fellow on youtube who started as life working with CF in the aviation industry and is now using those skills looking for potential damage in CF bike frames and doing some repairs, if I recall correctly. He does a bit of destructive analysis now and then, by cutting damaged frames in half and looking at the quality of the construction. Very interesting and informative!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY9...4lLOHpb_zbIedQ

Steve in Peoria
Old 07-15-19, 08:44 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
... I see way more Carbon fiber being rode hard than I do vintage steel. Mostly old guys like me riding vintage, only going slow...
And your hypothesis for why they're "going slow" is?
Old 07-16-19, 05:51 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Gonna ride dangerously today... on my carbon Cannondale!
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 07-16-19, 07:15 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by horatio
Gonna ride dangerously today... on my carbon Cannondale!
You're a wildman!
Old 07-16-19, 08:15 AM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool
And your hypothesis for why they're "going slow" is?
Probably because they are not interested in going fast? I ride my steel bikes hard too. I like going fast. My fast is not as fast as other peoples fast. My point is more that the Carbon Bikes are out in mass, being pushed hard, and not killing the riders on a daily basis. If they were really dangerous, I think I would have witnessed a catastrophy by now?
Old 07-16-19, 08:47 AM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts

Oh, for those who would like to try the wicked world of carbon fiber, this $4,000.00 in 2012 bike is currently up for auction at $14.00 with no bids on Goodwill, Dura Ace and wicked cool rear brake placement.

It's kind of crazy what people give away.
Old 07-16-19, 10:15 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by since6

Oh, for those who would like to try the wicked world of carbon fiber, this $4,000.00 in 2012 bike is currently up for auction at $14.00 with no bids on Goodwill, Dura Ace and wicked cool rear brake placement.

It's kind of crazy what people give away.
"Wicked cool brake placement" in this case meaning it will get clogged with road grime, and will have all lubricant/grease washed out of bearings/bushings in one wet ride.
Old 07-16-19, 04:28 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Probably because they are not interested in going fast?
Yeah, I'll buy that!
Old 07-17-19, 09:58 AM
tony c

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so cool
Old 07-17-19, 10:25 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Yet another C&V gloating Schadenfreude post regarding modern hardware that is, as usual, simply Wrong.
Pretending that the current generation of machines in service are somehow failure prone, fragile and unsuited to the use for which they are designed is sour grapes and silly at best.
Enjoy your now obsolete bikes for what they were/are. It's not 1969 anymore, fortunately.

-Bandera
Old 07-17-19, 12:48 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,536 Posts
just for fun the Ny times take on this

FWIW.... I like steel and can't see carbon in my future I don't hate carbon, but it is a fact that when it fails it fails fast. Biggest issue is people not understanding the design limits of a super light racing frame (which are considered a consumable item by racing teams vs a possible life time frame for most users. I have no doubt that a carbon frame engineered to be a fast daily rider can last a good amount of time, with proper care.

and threadless stems are for the most part fugly

get off my lawn

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/s...JAuLrZ8-Fwl994