Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Americans Shouldn’t Have to Drive . . .

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Americans Shouldn’t Have to Drive . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-19, 07:53 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
this morning, on the same highway, going approx 70 mph, some guy flies up to my rear bumper, way too close. I maintain my safe following distance from the car in front of me, but when I see an opportunity to let the maniac pass I put on my directional & move to the right, so he can harass someone else. but almost simultaneously, the clown moves right into the same lane & is on my bumper again. I have an exit in about 4 miles so I didn't move back left, I just I maintained my safe following distance from the car in front of me. in about 1/2 mile he jolts erratically to the next right hand lane & takes the exit. but then flips me off & continues w/ another hand gesture I won't mention. as I pass, I gave him a restrained & blank look. I guess he thought I had intentionally moved right to block him cuz he moved right as well? in my 20s, getting flipped off was a bit of a trigger for me. 40 years later, I'm well past an aggravated reaction that is not actually threatening to me
Please explain what your driving encounters with other motorists, without any bicycling content, have to do with the thread topic or with bicycling safety or advocacy? Do traffic reports that confirm the existence of ignorant motorists have a point relevant to bicycling A&S?
Old 07-17-19, 08:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Please explain what your driving encounters with other motorists, without any bicycling content, have to do with the thread topic or with bicycling safety or advocacy? Do traffic reports that confirm the existence of ignorant motorists have a point relevant to bicycling A&S?
the first line in that article talks about traffic violence
Old 07-17-19, 09:02 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Are there places where there are laws that actively prohibit cycling? I know the NYPD likes to aggressively ticket cyclists "for their own safety," but the only things working against cyclists here are lack of infrastructure and the realities of geography. Cars will always rule the sprawl. So unless someone is going to tear up what's already here (and has been here since the 1940s) there isn't going to be any kind of radical change. I don't think my wife is going to start commuting by bike, 56 mile roundtrip every day.
There ARE places where they have attempted to make cycling illegal... and these have been discussed here.

But the point you continue to miss is that the laws, designs, and even tax structure all ENCOURAGE driving... thus discourage cycling. People may still choose to cycle, but they are "fighting the system" to do so.

And gee, thanks for including your wife, as an unique example... as if she somehow represents the average commuter... who in fact, statistically commutes only about 10 miles to work. Your anecdotal "evidence" doesn't mean she should get special treatment or encouragement to drive.

Last edited by genec; 07-17-19 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-17-19, 10:34 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I feel like we live on different planets. No one in my locality (that is, the few hundred square miles I cover on a bike, populated by some 4 million people) is discouraging anyone from riding a bicycle. If anything, California goes out of it's way to discourage the use of automobiles-- we pay more for gas, insurance, and registration than pretty much anyone else in the US.

If you presently feel that you, as a cyclist, are being actively persecuted by "the man," then you should continue to do so. Everyone is absolutely entitled to tilt at windmills.

BTW, encouraging one activity in no way discourages another. Just because the government isn't running ads telling people to "Go get on a bike!" doesn't mean they don't want people on bikes.
Old 07-17-19, 12:15 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5991 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 729 Posts
@genec

Myth #6 : The Danes and Dutch have always done it. It’s their culture.
Yes, they have. Well, except for the couple of decades when car-centric urban planning almost eradicated bicycle traffic. Fortunately, both nations started rebuilding their infrastructure in the 1970s and 1980s. Copenhagen wasn’t “Copenhagen” for a very long while.

They have always done it - but then so has everyone else. Bicycles as transport are not culture specific.
This is just not true. Bicycle traffic was never almost eradicated. There was conflict, it was dangerous and there was little cycling specific infrastructure, but people kept cycling. It never disappeared, there was the continuity Copenhagenize tries to deny and that continuity is important, also for and in relation to culture.

The toddler next door here is only just three years old but last week I saw him cycling on the patio, without training wheels. That's culture too, get them cycling as soon as they can. His parents are Chinese btw, only moved here about 7 years ago, it's not necessarily the kind of culture that goes centuries back but it is important as from now on the bike will be part of his life, it will be his independence for the next 15 years which will give him the necessary cycling and traffic skills. At the turning point in the 70's those skills were very much alive, and the mass cycling since has shaped other parts of culture but also cities and villages. But there are also other cultural influences, which might explain why it is Denmark and the Netherlands and not many others.

You can't just ignore those things. It might work for the message, but when it comes to result it's better to acknowledge all relevant factors and come up with a suitable plan to increase cycling in a specific location.
Old 07-21-19, 05:29 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
this morning, on the same highway, going approx 70 mph, some guy flies up to my rear bumper, way too close. I maintain my safe following distance from the car in front of me, but when I see an opportunity to let the maniac pass I put on my directional & move to the right, so he can harass someone else. but almost simultaneously, the clown moves right into the same lane & is on my bumper again. I have an exit in about 4 miles so I didn't move back left, I just I maintained my safe following distance from the car in front of me. in about 1/2 mile he jolts erratically to the next right hand lane & takes the exit. but then flips me off & continues w/ another hand gesture I won't mention. as I pass, I gave him a restrained & blank look. I guess he thought I had intentionally moved right to block him cuz he moved right as well? in my 20s, getting flipped off was a bit of a trigger for me. 40 years later, I'm well past an aggravated reaction to a gesture that is not actually threatening to me
You still reacted. Else you wouldn't have changed lanes..
Old 07-22-19, 08:45 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
You still reacted. Else you wouldn't have changed lanes..
I was referring to "flips me off & continues w/ another hand gesture I won't mention"