Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bugatti Touring Sport

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bugatti Touring Sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-06, 11:51 PM
kyledr
Destroyer of Worlds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bugatti Touring Sport

Hey,

I got a bike today called a Bugatti Touring Sport from my dad's best friend who is from Italy. He may have told me he got it from Italy, and this makes sense because the Bugatti auto manufacturing name was bought by an Italian manufacturer in 1987 and manufacture went on there until 1995, so it seems likely they made bikes too and he got one in Italy. The seat says Italia on the back and also says something else in Italian. The headbadge says B and bugatti in the same font as everywhere else in case you're wondering. He said it cost over $1000 at the time. I've researched this bike and can't find anything on it, so I'm wondering if any of you can shed some light on it. Is it a good bike? Should I be extra careful to preserve it? I was thinking of making it a fixed gear.

here are pics:

https://69.76.10.88/bugatti1.JPG

https://69.76.10.88/bugatti2.JPG

https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...illic/bugatti/

Thanks for looking,

Kyle
Old 06-19-06, 05:44 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
OK, that's one that I've never heard of, either. I'm certainly familiar with the cars, and some of the travails that the brand name went through since 1951 when the original car company packed it up.

At the very least, you've got something on the unique side, so it's certainly worth saving. Tear it down, clean it up, and reassemble. If it turns out that you have something that is as valuable as it's unique, then you're in a situation where investing a few bucks would be justified.

Syke
Deranged Few M/C
Old 06-19-06, 06:03 AM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Stem shifters and steel crank so not a highline bike. Car makers sometimes have bikes made with their name on them. Some are obscenely expensive (the Ferrari Colnago but what would you expect with that combo of names?). Some are WalMart quality (I recall a recent Jeep SUV that came with a bike). The Bugatti name gives yours a little style at least and, who knows maybe some collectability?

Btw the Bugatti name is now apparently owned by VW and they make a roadster with carbon fiber body panels and a legit 1000hp engine. According to either Road and Track or Car and Driver ( I forget which I read) it'll go well over 200mph. Price: 1 million Euro. Wonder if it comes with a bike?
Old 06-19-06, 07:20 AM
kyledr
Destroyer of Worlds

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, this was probably made before Bugatti was owned by Volkswagen. From 1987 to 1995, like I said, it was owned by an Italian and they were produced in Italy. It's pretty likely that's when it was made. Bugatti actually makes a car now that does over 400 mph.
Old 06-21-06, 04:07 AM
LWaB

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recall reading about Bugatti bikes in a Veteran-Cycle Club 'News and Views' a year or so ago. Can't remember too much though.
Old 09-01-09, 03:55 PM
arvidtp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got the same Bugatti bike, but in blue with straight handlebars. Mine was a fixer-upper I found in the garage of an apartment I moved into - so some of the parts are replaced with salvage. When i got new tires the guy at my local bike shop who knows his stuff said it looked like a decent bike, if aging. I like it - rides well and it's unique.
Old 09-01-09, 04:17 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
No bike with steel rims, steel crank, nutted axle, no frame RD hanger, stem shifters, etc., cost $1000 new. Department store quality but with a neat brand. Clean it up and enjoy it!
Old 09-01-09, 04:33 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by kyledr
Well, this was probably made before Bugatti was owned by Volkswagen. From 1987 to 1995, like I said, it was owned by an Italian and they were produced in Italy. It's pretty likely that's when it was made. Bugatti actually makes a car now that does over 400 mph.
That is rather amazing. Got a reference? I saw a note that the Veyron Centenaire did 264 mph (searched "Bugatti Veyron speed mph", with 1350 hp. Just scaling by the cubes of the speed, 400^3/264^3 = 3.5. A rough estimate of the power needed for the same car is 1350*3.5 = 4700 hp. Just based on engine size, the engine is 3.5 times as big in displacement assuming similar efficiency. Either there a three more engines on the car, or a radically different engine to get similar frontal area. Not a trivial matter!

Last edited by Road Fan; 09-01-09 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-01-09, 04:34 PM
gridplan
Veni, Vidi, Bici

Bikes: Colnagos (2005 Brera Art, 2007 President LdV, 2007 CF6)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I don't think Bugatti, the car company, ever made bicycles. But they did design one long ago of which Art Stump made 2 or 3 examples. I suspect your Bugatti is the product of an unrelated company.

https://italiancyclingjournal.blogspo...-bicycles.html

Last edited by gridplan; 09-01-09 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-01-09, 05:00 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
E. Bugatti designed a few bikes, built a few velocipede motors, super charged even, and designed a twin motor counter-rotating propeller racing plane, which almost got fully built but never flew.

This white bike only steals the name.
Old 09-01-09, 05:06 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Are you sure he didn't say it cost 1000 Lira?
Old 07-18-19, 11:08 AM
Gregfl

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Guys this is an old thread, but many people assumed Buggati bikes were a promotional item from the French car maker Buggati. There was a small ITALIAN company called cicli Buggati Italia which made some eclectic bikes with cheaper valentino campognolo components, universal center pull brakes, and butted frames. I live in Colombia and have some pics of such a bike.
Old 07-18-19, 11:13 AM
Gregfl

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Old 07-18-19, 11:37 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregfl
Guys this is an old thread, but many people assumed Buggati bikes were a promotional item from the French car maker Buggati. There was a small ITALIAN company called cicli Buggati Italia which made some eclectic bikes with cheaper valentino campognolo components, universal center pull brakes, and butted frames. I live in Colombia and have some pics of such a bike.
Thanks. I enjoyed your post and the pics. Wouldn't mind one in my size.

Old 07-18-19, 12:13 PM
Gregfl

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Thanks. I enjoyed your post and the pics. Wouldn't mind one in my size.
Thanks. I have a wonderful opportunity down here to find some stuff not normally seen in the USA and will be posting more pics. I have an opportunity to buy this, but in addition to its too much, its far from my house and will not buy a bike that needs to be shipped because there is a saying in Colombia "no dar papaya" which roughly translates into don't give papaya, but really means don't be stupid or you will be ripped off. Shipping things you haven't seen in colombia may mean I see one thing and get another with no recourse. See my recent thread under 'whats it worth' for an example of something else I just picked up, a duarte in mint condition.
Old 07-18-19, 12:16 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
This bike is hot. I'm jealous that you have a bike with original universal hoods that haven't fallen off (yet),
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-18-19, 02:09 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregfl
Thanks. I have a wonderful opportunity down here to find some stuff not normally seen in the USA and will be posting more pics. I have an opportunity to buy this, but in addition to its too much, its far from my house and will not buy a bike that needs to be shipped because there is a saying in Colombia "no dar papaya" which roughly translates into don't give papaya, but really means don't be stupid or you will be ripped off. Shipping things you haven't seen in colombia may mean I see one thing and get another with no recourse. See my recent thread under 'whats it worth' for an example of something else I just picked up, a duarte in mint condition.
I see what you mean. But - FWIW - it's one of the best presentations of a bike I've ever seen in the classifieds. Clean, air in the tires, nice big close up pics. The seller made an effort to present the bike well.

Old 07-18-19, 02:42 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
-----

Hello Gregfl,

Frame identical to a Garlatti of the early 1970's.

Same Agrati Roma lugset, same fork crown, same Agrati stamped ends w/gear hanger, same Agrati bottom bracket shell, same bullet seat stay caps, same brake cable stops on underside of top tube.

Kitting same as Garlatti save for wheels, pillar and stem. Garlatti had same cottered steel chainset, Sheffield steel quill pedals, Campag Valentino gear ensemble, Universal Sport brakes, Agrati headset. Garlatti version came with Gnutti large flange QR hubs, Maccari steel rims, plain steel saddle pillar and 3TTT Touriste stem/bar set.

Do not doubt that there may have been a Bugatti bicycle manufacturer unrelated to the automobile badge. Your example clearly a contract item from Garlatti - they did a lot.

---

Had a his & hers pair of Bugatti badged machines come through my workshop about 1979. They dated from about 1972 and were purchased at the Pike Place Market in Seattle. Livery was yellow with blue trim.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 07-18-19 at 02:46 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-18-19, 03:11 PM
Gregfl

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Hello Gregfl,

Frame identical to a Garlatti of the early 1970's.

Same Agrati Roma lugset, same fork crown, same Agrati stamped ends w/gear hanger, same Agrati bottom bracket shell, same bullet seat stay caps, same brake cable stops on underside of top tube.

Kitting same as Garlatti save for wheels, pillar and stem. Garlatti had same cottered steel chainset, Sheffield steel quill pedals, Campag Valentino gear ensemble, Universal Sport brakes, Agrati headset. Garlatti version came with Gnutti large flange QR hubs, Maccari steel rims, plain steel saddle pillar and 3TTT Touriste stem/bar set.

Do not doubt that there may have been a Bugatti bicycle manufacturer unrelated to the automobile badge. Your example clearly a contract item from Garlatti - they did a lot.

-----
Amazing info, thanks. What would you value this item at?
Old 07-19-19, 03:48 PM
juvela

-----

Will leave valutation to experts.

Safety tip forgot to mention -

the original 3TTT Touriste bar may still be in there

it has a centre dimension of 26.0mm

the Sakae Ringyo stem someone has fitted likely has a clamp dimension of 25.4mm

mismatches at this location are unsafe

Riding tip -

these frames have quite a low shell

this gives them nice "roll" but means rider cannot pedal aggressively through corners without catching a pedal

hope you enjoy the bike!

-----

Last edited by juvela; 07-23-19 at 11:41 AM. Reason: spellin'
Old 07-23-19, 11:18 AM
Gregfl

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
-----

Will leave valutation to experts.

Safety tip forgot to mention -

the original 3TTT Touriste bar may still be in there

it has a centre dimension of 26.0mm

hope you enjoy the bike!

-----
Valuable info, thank you. unfortunately due to reason I mentioned above I had to pass and someone else got it. I do wish I had it for a project bike but the seller was too far away.
Old 07-23-19, 11:59 AM
juvela

-----

The forum had an earlier thread on a Garlatti bicycle whose frame is identical to the subject Bugatti.

It includes very good detail images of frame details you may wish to see.

Garlatti

-----
Old 07-23-19, 12:43 PM
Gregfl

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
-----

The forum had an earlier thread on a Garlatti bicycle whose frame is identical to the subject Bugatti.

It includes very good detail images of frame details you may wish to see.

Garlatti

-----
Thanks. very I retesting that this bike was marketed under at least 3 brand names.
Old 07-23-19, 01:44 PM
juvela

-----

Two badges which belonged to Garlatti are Velocina and Wander.

Thread posted above illustrates the (famous) Cinelli Riviera.

-----