Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tell me about acts of heroism and kindness done by bicyclists.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tell me about acts of heroism and kindness done by bicyclists.

Old 07-15-19, 05:09 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Definitely not heroic, kindness, sure, but mostly just the right thing to do. I came upon a gentleman in a wheelchair sitting in the east bound lane of a 2 lane road. I stopped and asked him if he was okay. His response, "not really". His electric powered wheelchair had run out of juice. He had a cell phone with him but there was no reception. He had a stroke at some point in time and was mostly paralyzed on his left side and also could not communicate very well. To shorten the story, I wound up calling 911 to get assistance for him. I waited with him until a state trooper appeared on the scene, making sure that vehicles coming by would stay clear of him. I had gotten some info from him, his name was Darell, and communicated that to the trooper. The trooper was able to get on his computer and get an address for Darell, and, after considering options, he called an ambulance to come and get Darell. At that point, with the trooper staying and waiting for the ambulance, I headed on my way. I came by that way maybe an hour later and Darell and his wheelchair, and the trooper, were gone. One of the more bazaar experiences I have had on a bike. I am glad I was able to help.
Old 07-15-19, 06:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
I was recently called "genius" for providing an individually wrapped wet wipe after a dropped chain fiddle.
Old 07-15-19, 07:11 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Not heroic, but on my last organized charity ride a left turn sign was missing, right at the bottom of a steep downhill.
Everyone in front of me missed the turn.
I got off my bike, stood at the intersection, signaling for everyone behind me to make the unmarked left turn.
After the ride about twenty people offered to buy me a beer!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-15-19, 07:31 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
As a multi decade rider I've committed many, many acts of heroism. From run of the mill flat fixes, to assisting the lost, to mechanical breakdowns, and damsels in distress. Far too many to count, actually. One of my proudest contributions to a civilized society is that considering my substantial size and strength, I have unwaveringly resisted the urge to pull some Jacktard out of their car and beat them into a bloody pulp for doing something dangerous or stupid (usually both) that threatened my health and safety. And frankly, that's pretty damned difficult sometimes.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 07-15-19, 07:55 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane

I pulled a swimmer out of a lake once, before he drowned. He was going under and struggling when I got to him, about 3 yards from shore.
My wife did the same some years ago. We were swimming at a quarry when a guy said calmly to nobody in particular "Take him out, he's drowning!". My wife looked and saw a guy floating motionless, face down. She feared a prank, but lifted the guy's head by the hair and he was indeed drowning. She took him to the edge (about 1.5mts away) where he coughed, spit water and eventually recovered. Turned out the first guy was his friend, he told him "You *******, what would I say to your mother if you drowned?". She didn't like being called "the Baywatch girl" after that.
Now to keep on topic, never did an heroic deed while cycling, but countless times helped others with flats, mechanics, etc. And once towed a VERY cramped cyclist about 30kms to where he could take a train home.

Last edited by Reynolds; 07-15-19 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 03:14 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I just read a very cute story in a cycling discussion group...A woman and another regular commuter were 'racing' to work, when the woman noticed a small furry animal at the edge of the road and slowed down. It turned out to be a sick kitten. She safety pinned it in her jersey pocket and dropped it off at a veterinarian on the way to work, where it was treated for dehydration and reunited with its owner.

I cannot imagine riding five miles with a kitten scratching up my back, but it's a very nice happy ending!
Old 07-17-19, 03:59 PM
mrt2you

Bikes: trek 720 multitrack hybred, 92 trek 2300, 2010 specialized roubaix, 2014 specialized roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
not really heroic but i helped fix a 4 flat tires with my own tubes, co bottles and patches this year. i do most of my riding on paved well used trails so i interact with a lot of other riders..
the best one is i ran across a 25yo smoking hot mom with her young 6yo son on a bike ride. sons bike had a flat and mom had 2 really low tires, i patched and pumped up the sons bike. i filled the 2 tires on moms bike. i also adjusted the rear derailleur on moms bike because the chain was always falling off when shifting to the big gear in the back. mom thanked me wanted to pay me but i refused payment and rode off.
Old 07-18-19, 07:53 AM
lmtada

Bikes: Trek Fuel 100, GT Road Bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not heroic, but I took action.

Little kid (4 or 5), lost control of his tricycle. He hit me accidently. His chain fell off. He thought his bike was broken. I fixed his bike on the spot. He thanked me!!

I was riding in Italy (I don’t speak Italian). I came across a stranded motorcycle rider. He could not start his motorcycle. I pedalled by him, he seemed frustrated. I knew the bike had dead battery. I said to him (English)let’s push start the bike. He didn’t understand. I said let the clutch out, when we get the bike moving. I Pushed bike about 20 yards, while he sat on it. The bike started up. We were both happy ��. He thanked me.....Best part I knew, the problem and acted..
Old 07-20-19, 02:29 PM
Mel_bikes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found a guy walking down the local rail trail carrying a parachute. Missed his landing and had no cell service. Told him to continue to next intersection while I got my car and gave him a ride back to the airport
Old 07-21-19, 03:09 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
I always stop to help. I'll pick up discarded tubes & tires (though not non-bike trash). Once a TSA guy recognized me as the guy who stopped to help him.

There used to be half-page comic-strip ads for a speedometer/odometer. The kid saw an accident (or the like), rode to the nearest police station, could tell the cops exactly how far down the road the accident was. I didn't buy.
Old 07-22-19, 01:28 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Man, two pages and zero mention yet of the most famous cyclist hero ever? Gino Bartali?

Italian multiple winner of the TdF and Giro Italia?

In his spare time training would cross enemy lines to obtain falsified documents and smuggle them in the tubes of this bike back over. These documents would help local Jewish citizens held in monasteries to avoid being taken by the Germans. If he had been caught, he'd have likely been executed on the spot.

There was a decent Netflix of Amazon Prime documentary piece about him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gino_Bartali
Likes For burnthesheep: