Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Camelbak Podium Chill ... Discontinued ????

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-20-19, 05:07 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts

I had one of these bottles from a while back and have only recently set my bikes up so I can carry 2 water bottles and have been meaning to buy a 2nd but went out the other night and left the one I did have in the pub at the end of a ride and it went walkabouts ... never to be seen again.

I only recently realised how good they actually were ... I thought when we went out on longish rides in the middle of summer / a hot sunny day they weren't great and you were paying for marketing until I was able to carry 2 bottles instead of one and had a direct comparison ..... The Podium was SOOOO much cooler than the other after a 3 hour ride in the sun it wasn't true.

A second thing in their favour .... other bottles dribble as you drink from them!!!!

Last weekend as I'd lost my Podium took 2 "normal" bottles with me ..... one of the guys we ride who sweats quite a lot which is noticeable on his clothing when it's hot ... we stopped and I drank from one of the normal bottles and he immediately said ... "You look a bit more like me now" as it dribbled all down my front soaking my t-shirt.

I guess they're discontinuing them as they're not making money and the mass of people probably buy cheaper alternatives ... but from my experience far inferior quality products ... just seems a shame unless anybody knows if they're going to release or have released the next generation of superior products and I've missed it????

I've have ordered 2 new bottles so they'll keep me going for a while and tempted to order one more before they're all gone but interested to hear if anybody knows what's happening with this range and if it's something they're pulling out of altogether or if there's something better around the corner?
Old 07-20-19, 06:39 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 133 Posts
Well, I just checked out their website, and they're listing a new version of Podium Chill bottles. It looks like they redesigned the upper part where the cage holds the bottle.
Old 07-20-19, 07:03 PM
No Mojo

Bikes: Emonda SL7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
The new ones are fantastic!
Old 07-21-19, 08:16 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I left one at a Starbucks in Malibu several weeks ago. They are nice bottles. Why is it with boxes of freebie bottles (from group rides, found during Amgen race, etc.) the one I lose is the one I actually paid money for, and does the best job during a ride? I didn't know they weren't available anymore. I got these from Nashbar, I think. Probably lots of them still around if you look.
Old 07-21-19, 10:13 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by No Mojo
The new ones are fantastic!
Haven't tried a new version, but from what I've seen of the reviews, most like the old bottles better. They say these new ones are much too stiff, and you can't squeeze them properly.

I'll have to get one and see for myself...
Old 07-21-19, 10:32 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I have the newer version (I bought 3 for my Miyata 1000 touring bike, and am using Nitto bottle cages .... the colour I have is the grey one (2nd from the right) .... perfect, as my bike is a similar grey colour:

Old 07-21-19, 10:46 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
They still have plenty of the older style on Amazon, as well as even more of the new style. I'm a little bummed that the redesign loses an ounce of capacity, but I've heard nothing but good things about the new caps.

I have 7 of the older style caps, and have been using the same pair of white Big Chills for five years, so I don't imagine I'll be getting a new bottle any time soon.
Old 07-21-19, 04:15 PM
Witterings

Originally Posted by Wileyrat
Well, I just checked out their website, and they're listing a new version of Podium Chill bottles. It looks like they redesigned the upper part where the cage holds the bottle.
I wonder if this is as they used to "walk" out of the cage sometimes as there wasn't really anything for the old design to get hold of.

This used to happen to me when on my 29er ..... there was so little room in the triangle I couldn't fit a bottle (and small frame bag) so had a handlebar bottle mount.
It used to vibrate out so I changed both the handlebar mount to a Topeak one at the same time as buying a cage that you could adjust the tightness on with a little twisty thing ... the same as you have for tightening helmets.

This did stop but not sure if it was the mount or the cage that made the difference .... although the bottle never came out of a normal cage on another bike in the triangle so not sure if it was the mount or if the flex in the handlebars just caused more vibration.
Old 07-21-19, 04:22 PM
Witterings

Just found these in searching in case anybody in the US wants a cheap spare ... although I believe the colour is very pink from what I've heard

https://www.camelbak.com/en/bottles/...730efb60017dba

Last edited by Witterings; 07-21-19 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-22-19, 03:25 AM
No Mojo

Bikes: Emonda SL7

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Haven't tried a new version, but from what I've seen of the reviews, most like the old bottles better. They say these new ones are much too stiff, and you can't squeeze them properly.

I'll have to get one and see for myself...
Maybe they have weak hands. I have no problem squeezing the bottle. They fit the cage better than the old style and keep water cool for a long time. I would recommend trying one.
Old 07-22-19, 06:05 AM
Witterings

As the order hadn't bees dispatched I've swapped it for one of the new ones and one of the Ice ones which are supposed to keep things cool 4x's as long compared the the standard chill / insulate being 2x's as long.
Old 07-22-19, 06:47 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by No Mojo
Maybe they have weak hands. I have no problem squeezing the bottle. They fit the cage better than the old style and keep water cool for a long time. I would recommend trying one.
Haha, could be.

I've used the Podium Ice for several years. Yesterday, I used a Purist Insulated bottle for a change, and at first sip noticed how much the water had warmed up compared to what I'm used to.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 07-22-19, 03:45 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I wonder if the new design eliminates issues for cleaning dirt and mold growth in the cap - that was the biggest issue I had with the bottles, though learned that the cap can be disassembled.

There are a ton of Podium Chill bottles on Sierra Trading Post at the moment, though their minimum for free shipping is a bit absurd.
Old 07-23-19, 06:00 AM
Witterings

Mine arrived today ... I can confirm as one person mentioned they are that bit harder to squeeze ... not a deal breaker but if someone offered me one or the other I'd probably choose the older style.

The twist to release or close the valve ..... the old one you could keep twisting one way and it would just alternate from off to on to off etc, this has a point you can't go past so you twist it one way for on, it get's to a position you can't twist it any further and have to twist it back the other way.
For someone long sighted that's not great as I can't see close up that easily to see which way to turn it, the other thing I twisted it one way and because it's stiffer it undid the lid rather than just closing off the valve which then becomes a pain if it were to happen all the time .... they certainly haven't re-invented the wheel and would possibly say it may be a step back in terms of simplistic use.

The other I went for the Insulate Ice ... they're that much taller for the same capacity and I'm fairly short so small framed bikes and can't fit it on either if mine on the seat post bottle mount..

Having now seen both if I were ordering again today I'd probably choose the older style ones.