Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice on saddle seat and hemorrhoids

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Advice on saddle seat and hemorrhoids

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 02:11 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by slobutwide
make sure you label the "nose" bottle and the "ass" bottle, and never, ever, grab the wrong one
lol!!!
Old 06-06-16, 03:11 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
I advocate time, not surgery. Yes, they can come back - but it's not inevitable. Then be more cautious, watch your diet and invest in a better seat, like some of the ones recommended. Not a big fan of cutting on me anywhere, but especially down there. Complete success rate isn't super and complications are a very real possibility.
Old 06-06-16, 03:31 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch
I advocate time, not surgery. Yes, they can come back - but it's not inevitable. Then be more cautious, watch your diet and invest in a better seat, like some of the ones recommended. Not a big fan of cutting on me anywhere, but especially down there. Complete success rate isn't super and complications are a very real possibility.
If the hemis are near the opening it's really not surgery, they use small rubber bands or what they call banding, and tie it off then they just fall off after a week or so, anyway read more about it here: Painless Hemorrhoid Removal - Reflux, Stomach Pain, Ulcers - West Chester Gastrointestinal Group This article states that hemis will not go away on their own, they have to be removed one way or another.
Old 06-06-16, 03:48 PM
gilpi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Almost a week later, I'm starting to see a little light at the end of the tunnel ... pun intended
Dr visit last week suggested I wait it out and kind of glad I did, not ready to jump on the bike yet though.
Some of the good old home remedies mentioned here, warm baths and Rx meds have alleviated things a bit.
Now for the saddle, too many choices, soft, hard, in between...
Old 06-06-16, 04:02 PM
gilpi

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
If the hemis are near the opening it's really not surgery, they use small rubber bands or what they call banding, and tie it off then they just fall off after a week or so, anyway read more about it here: Painless Hemorrhoid Removal - Reflux, Stomach Pain, Ulcers - West Chester Gastrointestinal Group This article states that hemis will not go away on their own, they have to be removed one way or another.
My last bout with the hemis about 20 years ago was also on the outside but extremely painful. Dr gave me a couple of options, I was so desperate that I decided to have them removed, a quick procedure done right at the Dr's office. It's pain free with the exception of the numbing needle and to be honest, the recovery was less painful than the hemi itself and I was back at work after about 3 days. It did take a couple of weeks for everything to settle but at the end I was glad I got it done.
Old 06-06-16, 04:59 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Hmmm, I'm trying to figure out how get my arse to sniff the nasal decongestant up my arse!
LOL! Good point. For the homebrewed version I described (inadequately), pour some witch hazel onto a wad of soft toilet tissue to form a compress. Then squirt or dribble the phenylephrine nasal decongestant onto the tissue.

I suppose it would be possible to spray the decongestant directly onto the nether regions, but my aim isn't that good!

Also, most cheap containers of phenylephrine spray don't use the safer one-way sprayers that don't re-aspirate. Those are nasty even when used only on the nasal passages, because of the risk of aspirating potentially infected nasal drainage into the bottle. Let alone ass-pirating from the opposite end of the human nasty bits.
Old 06-06-16, 06:38 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Originally Posted by gilpi
Almost a week later, I'm starting to see a little light at the end of the tunnel ... pun intended
Dr visit last week suggested I wait it out and kind of glad I did,
TIME! Stop swallowing the medical cool aid: i.e. only remedy is surgery! Or drugs.
And, as for home remedies, Epsom salt sitz baths are often helpful during the (usually fairly brief) acute phase.
Old 06-06-16, 06:52 PM
rekmeyata

My last bout with the hemis about 20 years ago was also on the outside but extremely painful. Dr gave me a couple of options, I was so desperate that I decided to have them removed, a quick procedure done right at the Dr's office. It's pain free with the exception of the numbing needle and to be honest, the recovery was less painful than the hemi itself and I was back at work after about 3 days. It did take a couple of weeks for everything to settle but at the end I was glad I got it done.
The doc numbed you? I didn't get numbed, but it was still basically pain free, he banded 3 of them and called one of them the hemi of the month...just glad it wasn't the hemi of the year!!

A huge percentage, if not all of people with hemis is actually hereditary and not because you ride a bike and or are using the wrong saddle, so if someone in your family has them then you have to watch several things, see this: Live Better | Preparation H® just click on the bold areas to read more about that particular subject.
Old 06-06-16, 06:58 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I've had hemorrhoids since I was 19, and I'm 55 now. I guess they're not as bad as other people's, as I haven't needed surgery. I've learned:

Eat lots of fiber and drink lots of water.

Don't sit on the toilet for too long. If possible, raise my feet by using a small stool in front of the toilet. Western toilets are clean and convenient but are not ergonomic. We are really supposed to squat when we defecate. Not that I do nor do I recommend it, but bear this in mind. When buying a toilet, get the shortest one you can live with or, as I said, use a small stool.

Ointment is good. Use an extra quantity before riding. Clean myself often and then wash my hands immediately.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-06-16, 07:06 PM
Mountain Mitch

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
If the hemis are near the opening it's really not surgery, they use small rubber bands or what they call banding, and tie it off then they just fall off after a week or so, anyway read more about it here: Painless Hemorrhoid Removal - Reflux, Stomach Pain, Ulcers - West Chester Gastrointestinal Group This article states that hemis will not go away on their own, they have to be removed one way or another
Yeah, we used to castrate the bull calves that way. Basically kills the flesh and it rots off. Gangrene is a potential consequence. As for the article, with all respect, I'm calling BS. You still risk re-occurrence. I've had hemorroids twice in my over sixty years. Each time it lasted 2-3 weeks with about 1 week of that being 'acute'. You should know how 'timing is everything' with respect to medical care. In other words, many conditions are self limiting. However, if you go and see your Dr.. usually at the 'crisis-point', whatever the Dr. does gets credit for the cure even though it would have cleared up if you'd just hung in there or used common sense remedies.
Old 06-17-16, 08:49 PM
gilpi

To update my original post... well, did it. Snip, cut, snip some more, cut some more. That's basically all I heard while the Dr was doing his thing, it all took but 4-5 minutes. The most painful thing was the after effects once the local anesthetic wore off about an hour after, just gave me enough time to get home and take a Tylenol 3 codeine. On my third day now and not feeling too bad, actually glad I had it done (so far) and sorry I waited this long.

Last edited by gilpi; 06-22-16 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-20-19, 11:02 AM
alexxisspaull

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just as the title says and I know there has to be some of you in the same predicament, not easy to talk about but a real issue for riders with that problem.
After a couple of rides this past weekend, looks like I won't be riding for a while so how do you guys deal with this and would a more comfy or certain type of saddle help?
For now it's just rest and the usual treatments.
Would love to hear from people in the same boat as I.
I was also suffering from hemorrhoids and from a few days it getting worse so I have just started a Neo Healar hemorrhoids treatment. I have just started my hemorrhoids treatment from hemorrhoids-help.com and now I have seen a good recovery.
Old 07-20-19, 02:34 PM
400E

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Great info here. I was glad to see someone bring up the Toto Washlet idea. A DIY plumbing forum I watch talks a lot about them, and even skeptics will say that once you use one, you never want to go back to TP again.

Also wanted to put in a word for a saddle I really like. About 4 years ago I had a lot of saddle soreness and numbness you-know-where. Esp the latter. I did a ton of internet research and finally settled on the "Spongy Wonder" saddle from Canada. I really love it -- have never had any saddle pain, and goodbye to numbness!

I would think it could be good for 'roids as the saddle just has 2 firm pads for your "sit bones" and nothing in the middle near the anal region.

I have no financial or other interest in the product -- just a happy consumer of it.
Old 07-21-19, 02:25 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
I've had them occasionally. I poop once daily, just after breakfast, when I'm still home, so I could take a short shower afterwards. Bidets sound great, but I'm too cheap. I always treated them myself, sometimes spending all night sleeping on my stomach with a finger up my ..., pushing it back in.

I ride a noseless saddle. I don't know that that makes a difference.