Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Cell phone holster?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Cell phone holster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-18, 10:57 AM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Cell phone holster?

I commute with a backpack or messenger bag about 90% of the time. I used to keep my phone in whatever bag I was using at the time, but the more I think of it, I'd much rather keep it more accessible. I'm looking for something that can be attached to my backpack shoulder strap. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks.
Old 04-07-18, 11:11 AM
ReclusiveOne

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Workcycles Kruisframe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen accessory pouches that attach to the strap. though it depends on the size of your phone and the type/size of the strap.

For instance there is this from Timbuk2:
https://www.timbuk2.com/3way-smartph...ry=accessories
Old 04-07-18, 11:16 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I've seen jogger arm band cell phone holsters that could probably be adapted for your pack.

I have a couple of different ones that I use. One leather/vinyl one that attaches permanently to the bars, and the phone slides into. It should snap, but the phone is a tight fit, so I just leave it open on top. Sorry, I don't know the brand.

This silicone one seems to be reasonably secure. Hasn't tossed out my phone yet. Probably best to mount on the stem.

https://www.bulbhead.com/nite-ize-ha...bar-mount.html
Old 04-07-18, 11:26 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Sewing machines can be used to make one... tried any of the messenger bag sewing companies yet?

they used to offer walkie talkie pouches , I assume messengers now have to buy their own phones.

Old 04-08-18, 08:41 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
For years I have been carrying my cellphone in a holster that clips to my belt (I commute in black golf/coaches shorts). The last two have had swivels that let the case sit at any angle to the belt/strap it's attached to My last two were the Nite-ize Clip Case with velcro fastener. When my new phone proved too tall, I dewed a longer velcro strap to the case. For my phone (LG-G3) the cut-out in the cover allows the headphone jack to protrude (that's good). When it rais I just wrap a plastic grocery bag around it, or a plastic sandwich bag.

$14 bucks. First one lasted two years. The second is 4 years old. The velcro wore out on the first, the second is still secure. The one I linked to is much smaller than the one I use, but you get the idea.
Old 04-08-18, 09:29 AM
PortlandEddie

Bikes: Fuji cross

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on the size of your phone....

https://www.chromeindustries.com/pro...id=accessories

OR

can be put on any kind of bag. easy / accessible only "CON" kind of expensive ....
Old 04-09-18, 03:05 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
That's exactly what I'm after. Thanks!

Originally Posted by PortlandEddie
Depends on the size of your phone....

OR

can be put on any kind of bag. easy / accessible only "CON" kind of expensive ....
Old 04-10-18, 10:58 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Search on Amazon for 'Cell phone molle" or "tactical cell phone holder"

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ll+phone+molle

You'll find a ton of little 'tactical' cell phone pouches that look like military gear. They are all cheap. Most of them are surprisingly decent quality. They have various different straps and what not for hooking them onto belts and such. Find one that looks like it's right for where you want to attach it.

I use a slightly larger bag like these as a seat tube bag because I couldn't find a bike specific bag that was exactly what I wanted. The quality is impressive for the $7 price tag I think that bag had. Hell it's impressive for a $20 price tag.

You can get little bags like this any dimensions you can think of. This one has my tools and a first aid kit in it. You can get them flat so they'll just hold a cell phone and easily clip to your backpack strap or belt.

I also use a top tube mini pannier bag for my phone. I put it behind me draped over the support arms of the rear rack. But they work great on the front of the top tube too. I even put padding in there to protect my phone.

Those you can get anywhere. Any bike shop will have a couple you can look at before buying. Amazon has about 100 different models. That's great because I can put my phone in the side I added the felt covered foam to ($2 worth of sticky felt from the craft store over old foam rubber pieces from a box.) And I put my keys, wallet, money, tissues, etc in the other side. So those things I always have with me will always have a place on the bike ready to hold them.

Search for 'top tube bags' or 'mini panniers'. Top Tube bags will have better search results but will have a bunch of smaller bags that sit on top of the tube. That has the added problem of the phone bouncing when you hit a bump and hitting the metal top tub through the bag. You want a phone case that drapes off the side of the tube or hangs from a belt/ bag strap

Last edited by Skipjacks; 04-10-18 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-10-18, 01:36 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Those top tube bags are really handy. I bought one on impulse a few phones ago and really liked it. My last phone is too big for it so I went back to putting it in the rack trunk, but being able to reach it easily for pictures or calls was really nice.
Old 04-19-18, 10:04 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
yeah, I have a ZIPP brand top tube "bento" bag, great for the cell phone. I have been able to whip it out while riding. I put some napkins inside to cushion the phone from abrupt shocks & vibrations

Zipp Speed Frame Pack | Jenson USA

just got my 1st iPhone tho, so I'll need a bigger one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
top tube bento bag.jpg (78.0 KB, 37 views)
ZIPP top tube bag.jpg (112.9 KB, 38 views)
top tube bag.jpg (355.1 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 04-19-18 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-19-18, 10:55 AM
aadhils
Bike Junkie

Bikes: 2013 Orange Brompton M3L; 2006 Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange); 2022 Surly Cross Check, Black

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
I commute with a backpack or messenger bag about 90% of the time. I used to keep my phone in whatever bag I was using at the time, but the more I think of it, I'd much rather keep it more accessible. I'm looking for something that can be attached to my backpack shoulder strap. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks.
Why not a handlebar mount? Its very convenient.
Old 04-19-18, 11:21 AM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
I'm looking for something that can be attached to my backpack shoulder strap. Does such a thing exist?
'Tiny Houdini' Utility Pouch - Life Behind Bars

works well with their backpack. However, I usually use panniers and keep my phone in a pocket or in a delta handlebar mount.